Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .38 125-grain Coated Lead Bullets for a Snubby

Site Supporter

.38 125-grain Coated Lead Bullets for a Snubby

I recently got an S&W 642-2 and am enjoying shooting it. I found that it shoots to POA with 125-grain bullets, so the >2k of 158-grain RNL I have loaded will remain K-frame fodder.

Looking at different websites, it seems that there are two main flavors of 125-grain .38 bullets, an RNFP and a TC. I know there are companies that will size 9mm bullets to the proper diameter, but I want to stick with revolver bullets because I prefer to roll crimp revolver loads. I don't have a .38 lever gun so I don't need the RNFP design, but I wouldn't mind it. My instinct is to go with the TC bullet solely because it'd cut prettier holes in paper. Velocity will be about 800-850 fps from the snubby to duplicate carry ammo.

Has anybody tried both designs and found a significant difference? Thanks!

http://www.bayoubullets.net/categori...ts/38-357.html

Bayou has a 124 grain round nose.

edit to add: I've been shooting Bayou's 138 grain wad cutter over 3.0 grains of Bullseye. Does 750 FPS in my 4" Model 10.
    Last edited by BN; 11-01-2019 at 06:37 AM.

Cannot comment on the comparison, but I have loaded many thousands of the truncated cone 125gr lead flat point bullets from Missouri bullet company and been very satisfied. I started loading them for CAS competition with 3.3gr of Titegroup or Trailboss, but then increased the charge a bit to be J frame and D frame practice loads. They have worked very well and the MO bullet company product has been very consistent. I don't know if their rnfp is better or equal. I switched to the coated version for the snubby practice loads and I believe it has reduced leading slightly.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    http://www.bayoubullets.net/categori...ts/38-357.html

Bayou has a 124 grain round nose.

edit to add: I've been shooting Bayou's 138 grain wad cutter over 3.0 grains of Bullseye. Does 750 FPS in my 4" Model 10.
    Their 124-grain RN is a 9mm bullet sized to .358, looking for a revolver-specific bullet; my 642 is finicky as to bullet weight and POA - there's an obvious difference between 148s and 158s, and both are above POA at five yards, the 158s more so.

Site Supporter
    Logic says that both 125 grain bullets would shoot to same point of aim. Missouri Bullets has a great reputation. I have some of theirs not yet loaded. They are filled out properly.

Site Supporter
    Just ordered 1k of the TC bullets from Missouri Bullets. I have about 900 rounds of .40 S&W 180 RNLs to load, then I'll switch the 550 over to .38 Special.

Thanks for the replies, all!

Site Supporter
    Update: I've loaded those bullets and have gone through about 300 of them so far. I loaded the first 100 with 6.2 grains of CFE-P, Hodgdon's max standard pressure load for that powder. It wasn't a happy combination, resulting in smoked cases and okay accuracy. CFE-P works really well in .40 S&W, I guess it just needs more pressure. Then I tried 4.8 grains of HP-38, again Hodgdon's max standard pressure load, and this worked much better. It burns pretty cleanly, gives good accuracy, and chronographs right at 800 fps, which is about what the 130-grain factory hardball does. 100 rounds in a range session is no big deal. I've got most of a .30 cal ammo can of it left.

I just got a thousand of their 125-grain RNFPs to see if they work differently. I'm going to use the same powder and charge but add some more crimp to see if I can get it to burn more cleanly. I'm going to finish that pound of HP-38 and then open the new eight-pound jug of BE-86 and see how that works out.

Consider trying Reddings "Profile Crimp" die. The profile crimp is a combination of a taper crimp and a roll crimp. I use it a lot on semi-wadcutters, but haven't tried it with stubby little TCs.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Update: I've loaded those bullets and have gone through about 300 of them so far. I loaded the first 100 with 6.2 grains of CFE-P, Hodgdon's max standard pressure load for that powder. It wasn't a happy combination, resulting in smoked cases and okay accuracy. CFE-P works really well in .40 S&W, I guess it just needs more pressure. Then I tried 4.8 grains of HP-38, again Hodgdon's max standard pressure load, and this worked much better. It burns pretty cleanly, gives good accuracy, and chronographs right at 800 fps, which is about what the 130-grain factory hardball does. 100 rounds in a range session is no big deal. I've got most of a .30 cal ammo can of it left.

I just got a thousand of their 125-grain RNFPs to see if they work differently. I'm going to use the same powder and charge but add some more crimp to see if I can get it to burn more cleanly. I'm going to finish that pound of HP-38 and then open the new eight-pound jug of BE-86 and see how that works out.
    I think you'll like the BE-86. It's a great powder. Extremely versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    Consider trying Reddings "Profile Crimp" die. The profile crimp is a combination of a taper crimp and a roll crimp. I use it a lot on semi-wadcutters, but haven't tried it with stubby little TCs.
    The Redding profile crimp die is the best thing since sliced bread as long as you have a groove to crimp into.

I ordered some coated 125 from acme. I loaded them on top of 3.5 of bullseye. I like them but think I prefer the 148 DEWC over 3.0 of bullseye.

User Tag List