Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well, Foo

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar

Well, Foo

I have a chance to buy a nickel 19-4 snubbie. But then there’s this:

The factory doesn’t do nickel anymore. So if I buy it (because snubbie), who can renickel it?

I guess, for now, I could put a couple of drops of bluing on the bare metal, but that almost seems sinful.

Given the likely cost of restoration, I think that I can get it pretty cheaply. I’m also going to ask if I can take a look under the sideplate.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

A little bit of steel wool and keep some oil on it. I like the look of used revolvers.

Mahovsky, Cummings, Advanced Plating & Weaponry, and all the other usual suspects for firearms refinishing should all be able to do a nickel finish.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Ford's

https://fordsguns.com/retail-price-sheet

*APW doesn't do nickel anymore, IIRC.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-22-2019 at 12:33 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

@Stephanie B, what you do is to get yourself a pound of H110. Then you load up some 125gr bullets over near max charges. Fire a bunch of them and no more rust near the muzzle. Wear your when you shoot them.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    Old school revolvers should have the patina of life on them. I second the steel wool/oil protocol.

Buy it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Old school revolvers should have the patina of life on them. I second the steel wool/oil protocol.

Buy it.
    What he said.

if you do go that route, try bronze wool first. Maybe good results and much less scratching.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

I understand the general fondness for patina, but I also understand that sometimes you want a gun to look mint. If it's not a rare revolver and it's what you want, go for it.

I have had great results with Ron Mahovsky up in PA. He does great work for a reasonable price, communicates well, and has a decent turnaround time.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

Site Supporter
    Fords has had an outstanding reputation for many years. I see that they have moved back to Florida from Alabama where they had once had moved to. They at one time had 6 months or more waits.

User Tag List