Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally a shotshell belt that doesn't suck

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy in NH View Post
    How are you planning on adding the med kit?
    Will adding it cover over a few shell loops in the back?
    I have the Tac Med Solutions med kit that has two snap loops on the back to work with MOLLE setups. I don't have the belt yet but I anticipate mounting it to the belt either by running the two loops through a couple of shell loops on the belt or just by running the belt through the snapped loops to a position that's useful on the belt.
    3/15/2016

So, funny story about this thing. Dad was in town for the Oct 2019 class up in Chino Valley, and we stopped by the Wilderness to say hi on our way up north. I mentioned in passing that I liked shell belts, but all the current-production examples were cheap and wore out quickly, often after a single 2-day class, and wouldn't it be awesome if Wilderness made one that was actually sturdy and durable.

Two weeks later, I get a text with a photo of one of these, asking what I thought. They knocked it out of the park, with their typical bombproof construction and some smart design features (like the dual adjustment tabs that velcro to the interior of the belt to avoid having a loose end flopping about). I've been using them on the range ever since, and I've got one loaded up with FC buck and a handful of slugs hanging next to my bed. Also, I found the .410 model works great for .30-30 cartridges, so I have one of those for my levergun.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Anyone used this badboy shooting skeet?

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Does this integrate well with a belt carried pistol or is it then used bandolier style?
    With an IWB holster I'm thinking it can ride directly over the EDC belt secured with keepers. Should not hinder access to the pistol, I don't think....

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Does this integrate well with a belt carried pistol or is it then used bandolier style?
    For me, I end up tucking the bare portion of the belt behind my holster's sweatguard, between it and my torso, with the buckle aft of the gun. It's worked fine during classes thus far, but I'm a big enough guy that I have a significant amount of bare belt to use there. I haven't tried using it in a concealed role as such, though I've had it effectively concealed beneath my usual button-up shirt or coat on the range.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

Thanks for posting. Ordered.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I'm carrying shells directly on my Wilderness Instructor belt as follows (bear in mind I am right-handed);

On left side, between the 9:00 o'clock and 11:00 o'clock belt loops, four of these which are used to hold eight rounds of Federal LE132 00 buck (flight control, reduced recoil);

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They ride on the belt very securely and position the shells nicely to use my left hand to keep the magazine topped off. The belt loops keep them from sliding fore or aft.

One the right side, between the 1:00 o'clock and 3:00 o'clock belt loops one of these to carry six rounds of slugs;

https://www.thewilderness.com/magazi...er12-12-gauge/

In the two end loops (which are offset from the center four to easily distinguish by feel) I carry a couple of the nasty-ass, engine-block-busting Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnum 1-1/4 ounce slugs. The center four loops carry Federal LE127 RS reduced recoil 1-ounce Hydra-Shok hollow point slugs.

I carry a PPS or PPQ in a JMCK #3 IWB at 3:30, just behind the 3:00 o'clock belt loop and the ZipLoader12 does not interfere with it.

Finally, I carry four rounds of the Federal LE132 00 buck directly on the shotgun. If I pre-load the magazine with five rounds of 00 (mag holds six but I leave one slot open if I need to go slug), I can have 17 rounds of 00 and 6 rounds of slugs on tap. What I like about this arrangement is that all shells are within easy reach and quickly accessible, and most importantly, are held consistently in the same places.

And of course, it's nice to have options.

@NH Shooter...

Pics of your belt setup would be awesome if you get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    @NH Shooter...

Pics of your belt setup would be awesome if you get the chance.
    Will do so this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I'm carrying shells directly on my Wilderness Instructor belt as follows (bear in mind I am right-handed);

On left side, between the 9:00 o'clock and 11:00 o'clock belt loops, four of these which are used to hold eight rounds of Federal LE132 00 buck (flight control, reduced recoil);

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They ride on the belt very securely and position the shells nicely to use my left hand to keep the magazine topped off. The belt loops keep them from sliding fore or aft.

One the right side, between the 1:00 o'clock and 3:00 o'clock belt loops one of these to carry six rounds of slugs;

https://www.thewilderness.com/magazi...er12-12-gauge/

In the two end loops (which are offset from the center four to easily distinguish by feel) I carry a couple of the nasty-ass, engine-block-busting Brenneke Heavy Field Short Magnum 1-1/4 ounce slugs. The center four loops carry Federal LE127 RS reduced recoil 1-ounce Hydra-Shok hollow point slugs.

I carry a PPS or PPQ in a JMCK #3 IWB at 3:30, just behind the 3:00 o'clock belt loop and the ZipLoader12 does not interfere with it.

Finally, I carry four rounds of the Federal LE132 00 buck directly on the shotgun. If I pre-load the magazine with five rounds of 00 (mag holds six but I leave one slot open if I need to go slug), I can have 17 rounds of 00 and 6 rounds of slugs on tap. What I like about this arrangement is that all shells are within easy reach and quickly accessible, and most importantly, are held consistently in the same places.

And of course, it's nice to have options.

Photo as promised;

Shown with the PPQ and extra mag on the left side, the entire rig is surprisingly comfortable to carry.

The Safariland carriers angle the shell outwards making them easy to grasp, and holds the shells with just the right amount of tension. The Wilderness carrier holds the shells securely straight up-and-down.

User Tag List