Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handcuffed Suspect Draws Firearm in Back Seat of Squad Car

Handcuffed Suspect Draws Firearm in Back Seat of Squad Car

Again, shows how crucial properly searching after cuffing is: https://www.policemag.com/528253/vid...013h2611790d6y

Looks like he was trying to get it off his person so as not to be later detected with it when a more thorough search was conducted during processing.

(Since this was in Toronto, it's quite likely that he knew he would face a more onerous charge and sentence than would be the case for impaired operation of a motor vehicle alone.)
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Site Supporter
    In my academy I heard a story where an officer made an arrest, and passed the prisoner to another officer for transport. While transpprting the officer heard a series of muffled clicks, pulled over and found a snubbie .38 with five dented primers. The initial arresting officer got a month off, and the transporting officer got a week off. When I came to my current agency, one of my first lateral trainees on FTO was the transporting officer.

I have had to explain search incident to a lawful arrest twice this year to two different supervisors. They both for some reason thought (based on questionable recent legal update training) that they needed consent to dig around in an arrestee's back pack.

RIP, Louie, I think of your story with every prisoner I deal with.

pat

True story. We used to be the temporary lock up for another adjoining town as well. One night after finishing up an arrest I'd made an officer from the adjoining town brought in a hand-cuffed prisoner for a Public Disorderly charge. Since I was already in the booking room I agreed to get the preliminaries done (interservice cooperation don't you know?) while he ran the guy through the computer.

Prisoner still cuffed, I assisted him with emptying his pockets. From his right front pants pocket I pulled out 6 38 Special cartridges and dropped them into the property box. I asked the guy what he was going to do with those? His reply was, "Put them in this..." as he pulled a 38 snub from the back of his waistband...

GAME ON!!!!

He went into the wall and I stripped the gun from his hand amid a lot of yelling... Fortunately for the officer who brought him in, for me, and everyone else involved the firearm was empty; HOWEVER, I never offered to take over another of that officer's prisoners; even after I went to work in the adjoining town with him.

I remember looking at the booking room wall in 2001 when I left SC and the dent from the prisoner's head was still in the drywall...

It's far too easy to get complacent and forget that all prisoners are armed all the time...
    Last edited by J. J. Magnum; 11-01-2019 at 10:33 AM.

Sadly, not unheard - see the previous posts. Shooting in the circs have happened before getting to the car and once in the car.

A year or two ago, an eastern California agency won a federal lawsuit after shooting a handcuffed, searched suspect in the back of a patrol car who insisted he had a gun on him and was digging in his trousers. Cutting Edge Training discussed it.

Many years back, I had a gang member I was sure I had missed "something" on. Had a co-worker I knew was a thorough searcher go back & re-search without success. The gun & the dope were on the floorboard when we got to jail. He denied they were his.

Site Supporter
    When I worked as a jailer, I frequently found knives on arrested persons when I searched them immediately after they were brought in. Occasionally I would find uncapped needles in pockets. I never understood this type of carelessness. Once a cop asked me how I knew to check insides of peoples' mouths for razor blades. In my school that was standard procedure after breaking up fights. District police and not teachers did this. In my experience females and not males put blades in their mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post

I have had to explain search incident to a lawful arrest twice this year to two different supervisors. They both for some reason thought (based on questionable recent legal update training) that they needed consent to dig around in an arrestee's back pack.

pat
    Im going to guess that depends on the state. We straight lost it Missouri for bags unless you can't take it off them.

Jason

We had a similar incident. Two officers make a narcotics arrest and pass off for transportation. Guy makes it into the local holding facility and then his cell mate and him start fighting as his cell mate didn't want anything to do with it and dude tried to keep him quiet. Second shift of jailers ran in and found the gun, no round in chamber full magazine, .25 - one of those Saturday night specials from the 70's. He had it in his prison wallet.

Original arresting officers got two weeks suspensions, transportation officers got two weeks, original intake jailers got three weeks and after everything was said and done the union won through arbitration saying that it was internally hidden and there was no way any type of department mandatory search would have found it - per the guys own statements. Policy didn't change, everyone just knows about it now
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    We had a similar incident. Two officers make a narcotics arrest and pass off for transportation. Guy makes it into the local holding facility and then his cell mate and him start fighting as his cell mate didn't want anything to do with it and dude tried to keep him quiet. Second shift of jailers ran in and found the gun, no round in chamber full magazine, .25 - one of those Saturday night specials from the 70's. He had it in his prison wallet.

Original arresting officers got two weeks suspensions, transportation officers got two weeks, original intake jailers got three weeks and after everything was said and done the union won through arbitration saying that it was internally hidden and there was no way any type of department mandatory search would have found it - per the guys own statements. Policy didn't change, everyone just knows about it now
    And that’s why some jails have x-ray chairs. Subject is sat in the chair and they look to see if anything is inside. I agree those officers shouldn’t have been punished. I don’t now anyone who checks an arrestees colon for weapons and contraband.

We all remember this incident... https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a4f_1378532046

User Tag List