Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Non-EBR hunting rifle suggestions?

I've always liked the feel of a levergun, but I want something with a bit more oomph and reach than a .30-30 or pistol-caliber carbine, and a flatter trajectory than a .45-70. The only options I've seen for this in a levergun are some out-of-production guns like a Savage 99 or a Winchester 88 (both of which fairly well ruin the aesthetics of a classic lever) or the currently in-production Browning BLR. Does anyone have any experience with the BLR? Reliability, extraction, accuracy? The box magazine and rotary bolt intrigue me, as I could get one of these in .308 or .30-'06. I don't really fancy the take-down models, just a basic, pistol-gripped BLR in one of the classic .30-caliber hunting cartridges.

If the ammo was more available, I'd be intrigued by the notion of a BLR in .358 Winchester with a purpose-built suppressor as a pig gun.

My experience is that while lever guns do well with pistol and lever gun cartridges, they don't do well as rifles. Triggers are usually second class, not as strong as a bolt action, and sling pressure sensitive making use of a proper shooting sling problematic.

Revolvers and leverguns are both things that many think are "robust" and are often surprised at how complex they can be inside and how susceptible they are to stoppages and failures.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Revolvers and leverguns are both things that many think are "robust" and are often surprised at how complex they can be inside and how susceptible they are to stoppages and failures.
    Yep. Bolt guns are much more durable and just as fast to load. A few years back I learned this firsthand when I dented the magazine of my Marlin 45-70 rendering it a single shot.

All my bolt guns have left hand actions. I have a Savage Scout in 308. I have a M70 in 270 (yes they made a few in LH before the Hartford plant closed). I have two M700s, one in 243 and one in 338 Win Mag (with a scout scope and peep sights). I have 4 lever guns. 2 Marlins in 357 Mag and 44 mag with Leupold Scout scopes. Two M94 Winchester BB in 307 Winchester, one with a scout scope and one with XS peep sights. I also have an AR in 556 and one in 22RF and a 10/22 etc.

The M70 is one fine rifle. Just a 3X9 scope no sights. I like the Savage, no problems so far. It has a Leupold scout scope. I would love to get an AR in 308. The Lever Guns are good. Going forwarde all future bolt guns for me will be short action, either 243 or 308.I think the Savage is a great rifle that will not break the bank. As far as I can tell the Savage problems were from long ago and have been addressed by the factory. I also bought my wife a Savage 16 in 243. She shot a nickel sized group and killed deer at 120 and 210 yards with one shot each last season.

I suggest you sell your friend on the AR platform as the MSR.

Thats my thoughts For what they are worth.

I picked up the Marlin 336 today. $224, included a Simmons 3x9 scope on some high, see-through, no-name rings. The scope is best described as a "bonus" considering what it is. Even after I cleaned the lenses it is still a bit cloudy, dim, and even changes the color of things a bit. I guess I was spoiled by my one and only previous rifle scope, the 8x, Russian-made POSP I had on my PSL/FPK, it was crystal clear and super-sharp, and dirt cheap (something like $220).

The Marlin's stock is a bit rough, it's real walnut and is old enough for the sweat and oil from the previous owners to have discolored the wood near the receiver, it was an oil finish, no poly. It was made in 1974, so it is older than me. I picked up a box of Winchester Powerpoint 170 grain on my way home, and I'll be picking up a box of Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain as well, and maybe some Federal Vital Shok and Winchester White Box. I'd like to compare how the two shoot, since, as the LGS clerk pointed out, the micro grooves may do some funky things to modern ammunition. The action is fairly smooth for a gun that looks like the last time it was cleaned, restricted flush toilets were a current event.

Hopefully, Al and I can get out to the range in the next week or two and put it through its paces, get the scope zero'ed, figure out which ammo runs best in it, etc. Once that's done, I'll pull the stock off and refinish it to give it some weather resistance.
    Nothing fancy, just some sanding, oiling, smoothing, and maybe some poly.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I picked up the Marlin 336 today. $224, included a Simmons 3x9 scope on some high, see-through, no-name rings. The scope is best described as a "bonus" considering what it is. Even after I cleaned the lenses it is still a bit cloudy, dim, and even changes the color of things a bit. I guess I was spoiled by my one and only previous rifle scope, the 8x, Russian-made POSP I had on my PSL/FPK, it was crystal clear and super-sharp, and dirt cheap (something like $220).

The Marlin's stock is a bit rough, it's real walnut and is old enough for the sweat and oil from the previous owners to have discolored the wood near the receiver, it was an oil finish, no poly. It was made in 1974, so it is older than me. I picked up a box of Winchester Powerpoint 170 grain on my way home, and I'll be picking up a box of Hornady Leverevolution 160 grain as well, and maybe some Federal Vital Shok and Winchester White Box. I'd like to compare how the two shoot, since, as the LGS clerk pointed out, the micro grooves may do some funky things to modern ammunition. The action is fairly smooth for a gun that looks like the last time it was cleaned, restricted flush toilets were a current event.

Hopefully, Al and I can get out to the range in the next week or two and put it through its paces, get the scope zero'ed, figure out which ammo runs best in it, etc. Once that's done, I'll pull the stock off and refinish it to give it some weather resistance.
    Nothing fancy, just some sanding, oiling, smoothing, and maybe some poly.

J.Ja
    Don't forget to protect the inside of the stock, if you are worried about weather protection.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Don't forget to protect the inside of the stock, if you are worried about weather protection.
    Yup! I pull it off the gun to do the refinish, and I always gets lots of oil in those areas that can trap water and moisture.

J.Ja

Quick follow-up to this...

Sighted in at 50 yards with Winchester Super X 170 gr. soft points, went fine. Moved out to 100 yards, went fine. Consistently saw 2" - 3" groups, no matter what ammo was used (tried the Winchester, Hornady Leverevolution 160, and Leverevolution 140). All were slightly high and to the right, so a touch more adjustment was needed. The el-cheapo Simmons scope & mount acquitted themselves well for my needs, and I see no pressing reason to replace them at this time.

It was taken out of action by a wicked jam. The mag tube is slightly bending from the clamps holding to the barrel, which bound the follower up. As a result, a round failed to chamber, and we had to remove the mag tube and partially break the action down to get it running again. The temporary solution is to only put 5 rounds in the pipe for the time being, the long term solution may be a fresh spring, a new follower, a new mag tube, or just hope it was a one-time event (it may have been).

Also, last week I re-did the furniture (just a basic job... sanded up to 220 grit, raised the grain & re-sanded, "teak oil" and boiled linseed oil, wet sanding with 800 grit and boiled linseed oil, let harden for a day, then B/C "Stock Sheen and Conditioner" followed by 4 rounds of Howard's Feed 'n Wax) and added a side saddle bag w/ammo carrier that also does a nice job at being a cheek rest and helping to get my head over the see-through rings and up to the scope.

All in all, a great buy and it definitely meets the needs!

J.Ja

Winchester Model 70, Weatherby, Savage, Ruger M77, in 308.

Marlin 30/30.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

User Tag List