Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-EBR hunting rifle suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    Remington 700 and I got it in 2009 never handled a 750. I've seen the same decline in quality levels in 870's like you mentioned. I was less then happy when I measured the throat on my 700 to work up some loads. Factory ammo has to make a big jump to the lands and hand loads with a COL that minimizes the jump won't fit in the magazine.

I found out later Remington makes the throat on the generous size for "variations in factory ammunition." There is a lot of good info out on the interwebs regarding Remington's chamber/throat on the web by smarter people then me so may want to google it. Wish I did before I picked mine up.....
    This is excellent information to know about, thanks! I wonder if that's ALL 700's, or just specific models.

I compared a used 870 that looked like it was used in the Battle of Verdun and every war since to a new 870, it was night and day.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    Other than the Winchester 70 and the Remington 700, which are basically my "fallback" choices as I see it (because I'd prefer a semi-auto), are there any semi-auto guns out there that make sense for this?

So I'm perfectly fine with a "hardly ideal" rifle, I'm just trying to get my feet wet at this point, and I either want something that if it turns out I don't get to hunt much I can enjoy at the range and learn with there, or something so cheap and/or easily resold that I don't end up feeling like I "wasted my money".

J.Ja
    What about an M14/M1A?
    You could get a 5 round mag for hunting, and still have a gun for the range.
    It's not exactly cheap but I think they are pretty cool. With a wood stock it wouldn't look bad at all, and certainly not too tactical.
    Last edited by JRL; 04-20-2012 at 01:46 AM.

FWIW, the Remington 700 is push feed, regardless of old or new, and the controlled-round-feed of the Winchester is considered superior by those that know more than me.

Unless you have a very special LGS, they are not the place to buy Pre 64 model 70 rifles. Shop Gunbroker or GunsAmerica.

Pre 64 rifles hold their value, and generally appreciate, as they are not made anymore, and are of a limited quantity. There are differences between Pre 64 model 70's and the recent controlled feed model 70's that make the Pre 64 rifles more desirable.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Unless you have a very special LGS, they are not the place to buy Pre 64 model 70 rifles. Shop Gunbroker or GunsAmerica.

Pre 64 rifles hold their value, and generally appreciate, as they are not made anymore, and are of a limited quantity. There are differences between Pre 64 model 70's and the recent controlled feed model 70's that make the Pre 64 rifles more desirable.
    There are, but IMO they are minimal and not worth the effort or expense involved with chasing around the collector's market for a true pre-'64. For every guy that's buying one because it's "better" there are 99 more buying them because they are rare, or expensive, or desirable. Those 99 are making the guns more expensive for no reason, and making them harder to find.

The differences are unlikely to matter for all but the most discerning buyer, and someone in the OP's position is much better served just ordering the current-production gun that fits his needs (caliber, material, barrel length, stock type).

Quote Originally Posted by JRL View Post
    What about an M14/M1A?
    You could get a 5 round mag for hunting, and still have a gun for the range.
    It's not exactly cheap but I think they are pretty cool. With a wood stock it wouldn't look bad at all, and certainly not too tactical.
    I've looked at the Springfield "Scout" model a lot, but even with synthetic furniture it weighs an awful lot, and the scope mounting options are poor. The new CASV mount looks promising, but even then, it's $150. I'd be looking at a $1,500 total cost for a heavy gun that doesn't have much going for it (for this purpose), other than being a semi-auto in .308 with a wood, Monte Carlo stock. There was a really good discussion over at Lightfighter about the M14/M1A that someone here (Doc, I think) pointed me to... if you have any doubts about that platform, the thread will confirm them and then some...

J.Ja

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Didn't Winchester start using the pre-64 action feed again?

From their site:

"Today's Model 70 has the all new M.O.A.™ Trigger System, improved fit and finish and enhanced accuracy to go along with its classic Pre-’64 controlled round feeding, Three-Position Safety and solid, sure handling. The M.O.A. Trigger helps the model 70 deliver the extreme accuracy benchmark 1" group at 100 yards. It’s what you deserve in your rifle."

I actually saw a 1953 pre-64 70 Featherweight on Gunbroker for $645 last night, with scope, in .308. That's not an awful deal, and certainly well within my budget.

J.Ja

I had a chance to watch a 20" Tikka CTR compact tactical rifle) in 308 in February.

No lie, that little gun shot 3/8" at 100 yards. Literally blew me away. Totally changed my perception on short barrel precision rifles. Even out to 400 it was throwing some 185 grain handloads with astonishing accuracy. I genuinely didn't think those short barreled guns could be as accurate as I was seeing.

Tikka's are known to have screaming barrels, and they have a good trigger and detachable mags out of the box. Having neither, I'd go with Tikka in a mili-second.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

Most all my hunting rifles are built on Pre-64 actions. Pre 64 actions have better triggers, better barrels making for a more accurate rifle, and have feed lips that are integral to the action, unlike the recent controlled feed actions, making for a better feeding rifle. Pre 64 model 70's in .06 are readily available at a modest or no premium over a classic (recent manufacture) model 70.

Just did a quick GB search, and while they are crazy expensive ones, there are a number that can be bought reasonably:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Bolt-Action...=Pre+64+.30-06
    Last edited by GJM; 04-20-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: GB search

Quote Originally Posted by jstyer View Post
    I had a chance to watch a 20" Tikka CTR compact tactical rifle) in 308 in February.

No lie, that little gun shot 3/8" at 100 yards. Literally blew me away. Totally changed my perception on short barrel precision rifles. Even out to 400 it was throwing some 185 grain handloads with astonishing accuracy. I genuinely didn't think those short barreled guns could be as accurate as I was seeing.

Tikka's are known to have screaming barrels, and they have a good trigger and detachable mags out of the box. Having neither, I'd go with Tikka in a mili-second.
    I've heard vaguely good things about Tikka's in the past, but I never looked into them much. I do like that they have detachable magazines. I've read from some seemingly knowledgable folks that there are issues with the recoil lugs getting loose after time on the models with high powered loads.

J.Ja

User Tag List