Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-EBR hunting rifle suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    20" Remington 700.
    I have almost bought a 700 SPS Tactical or 700P LTR a number of times in the last year or two...

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

It is not just a marketing slogan that the model 70 Winchester is the rifleman's rifle. If you want to class the joint up, and have a wonderful rifle at a reasonable cost, in a heart beat I would buy a Pre-64 model 70 in .30-06, add a Leupold variable scope, install a third stud, buy a Langlois Ching sling, possibly shorten the length of pull while installing a different recoil pad and carry on.

Other than the Winchester 70 and the Remington 700, which are basically my "fallback" choices as I see it (because I'd prefer a semi-auto), are there any semi-auto guns out there that make sense for this?

No comments good, bad, or indifferent on the Mini 30? I know it's not ideal (the safety for starters), but it does seem to fit the bill from where I sit.

I should probably throw this out there too, I don't plan on hunting a lot, simply due to time constraints, but if I do, I'd be willing/able to either get access on my own (and render this topic irrelevant) and/or spend more on a better rifle.

So I'm perfectly fine with a "hardly ideal" rifle, I'm just trying to get my feet wet at this point, and I either want something that if it turns out I don't get to hunt much I can enjoy at the range and learn with there, or something so cheap and/or easily resold that I don't end up feeling like I "wasted my money".

J.Ja

Compared to a Colt or equivalent quality AR, the semi-auto sporting rifles you are considering are basically junk.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Compared to a Colt or equivalent quality AR, the semi-auto sporting rifles you are considering are basically junk.
    Anything in particular? I know that the Ruger Mini's are not well regarded, but what I've heard is more of that vague "eh, they aren't good" than actual, specific "the mags do not release properly" or "likely to miss the broad side of a barn".

But... the feedback definitely seems to be saying, "buy one of the two quality bolt actions on the market".

J.Ja

I'd go with the Winchester and avoid both the Remington 700/mini 30. My Remington 700 has been a disappointment with unreliable feeding and being picky accuracy wise with most hunting ammunition. I had a mini 14 and personally wouldn't go the mini 30 route either for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennzoil View Post
    I'd go with the Winchester and avoid both the Remington 700/mini 30. My Remington 700 has been a disappointment with unreliable feeding and being picky accuracy wise with most hunting ammunition. I had a mini 14 and personally wouldn't go the mini 30 route either for similar reasons.
    The Remington 700, or 750? Just want to confirm, because I've mentioned both now...

Also, your 700, about when did you buy it? My suspicion has been that Remington's quality has dropped since the big buyout/consolidation, based on comparing older 870's to newer ones.

J.Ja

You could look around for used rifle at your LGS, sporting goods stores. Bolt action hunting rifles tend to have poor resale value and are shot very little.

How about a lever? You could get a pre 64 model 94 for $500, or a modern one (or Marlin 336) for $300-$350.

I haven't found fast repeat shots to be real valuable hunting. Generally you get one shot, and that's it, but you don't mention much about what/how you're hunting.

Getting a 30-30 or a 7.63X39 will limit you on type of game and range. 308, or 30-06 pretty much gets you anything in North America.

Remington 700 and I got it in 2009 never handled a 750. I've seen the same decline in quality levels in 870's like you mentioned. I was less then happy when I measured the throat on my 700 to work up some loads. Factory ammo has to make a big jump to the lands and hand loads with a COL that minimizes the jump won't fit in the magazine.

I found out later Remington makes the throat on the generous size for "variations in factory ammunition." There is a lot of good info out on the interwebs regarding Remington's chamber/throat on the web by smarter people then me so may want to google it. Wish I did before I picked mine up.....

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    You could look around for used rifle at your LGS, sporting goods stores. Bolt action hunting rifles tend to have poor resale value and are shot very little.

How about a lever? You could get a pre 64 model 94 for $500, or a modern one (or Marlin 336) for $300-$350.

I haven't found fast repeat shots to be real valuable hunting. Generally you get one shot, and that's it, but you don't mention much about what/how you're hunting.

Getting a 30-30 or a 7.63X39 will limit you on type of game and range. 308, or 30-06 pretty much gets you anything in North America.
    I had a chance over the summer to buy a used Model 70 in .30-06 for under $500, with scope... I probably should have done it!

The problem is, in my area, there are two kinds of LGS's: the places where folks like me shop... and the places where folks like my friend who hates EBRs hunts. The former are well priced on used stuff, but do not have much stock of used hunting guns. The latter are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced (I can often find the same gun NEW for less money than they want for used!). All the same, I'll swing by "the usual suspects" tomorrow, since I'll be out and about anyways.

I haven't thought about a lever at all, honestly. That is an option to consider. Also, good to know about the second shot.

For what I'm looking at doing, every local hunter I've talked to agrees that an intermediate round is ample, and the way I see it, if I'm into it enough that whatever gun I have isn't right, I'll go get the right one for my needs at that time.

J.Ja

User Tag List