Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non-EBR hunting rifle suggestions?

Non-EBR hunting rifle suggestions?

Over the weekend, a friend of mine and I went hunting. I'd like to do a lot more hunting, and if I get to, it will most likely be with him since he has a good amount of hunting land.

Along the ride, we were talking guns, and AR's came up. I mentioned that I really like how you can do a lot of things with ARs, including hunting. He was appalled at the idea, "that gun's only meant for one thing, killing people". He seemed practically offended that anyone would even think about pointing an AR pattern rifle at an animal.

Since I'd like to be doing more hunting and it sounds like if I want to go with him, does anyone have suggestions for a "non-threatening" semi-auto rifle for hunting? I'd be looking to do anything from coyotes to hogs to deer, so I think that anything bigger than .223 and up to .308 makes sense.

I think that the "requirements" would be:

* No pistol grip
    * No protruding magazine, or *barely* protruding (he used the term "banana clip" with disgust...)
    * Optic ready
    * Wood stock if possible

Right now, I'm considering the Remington 750 and the Ruger Mini-30, since I really do not want to spend too much money on this. I'm not sure if I could slip an SKS or a Saiga in the "Sporter" configuration by him or not. I suppose I could try a bolt action, but considering that I am pretty new to the world of hunting, I really would want faster followup shots if possible.

Alternatively, if anyone knows of a good place that I could go hunting in the South Carolina midlands, that'll work too (and no, not joking...)...

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Are there magazine limits?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Are there magazine limits?
    Not on the legal side of things, but I do think that if anything bigger than a 5 rounder was hanging down, he'd have an issue with it.

He said to me, "why don't you just get a BAR?" (that's what he shoots) I guess he hasn't seen what they are priced at lately...

J.Ja

A Larue PredatAR in .308 and a new friend?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

From the little bit I know about wooden guns, I like what the Winchester Model 70 Classic brings to the table. Controlled-round feed, 5 round magazine, just about any functional caliber you can think of... not sure what more you could want in a hunting rifle. I bought the Featherweight Compact which turned out to be too small for me, so if I re-buy I'll get the standard Featherweight.

More here.

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/p...ester-model-70

Tell him to harden the f*** up and open his freaking mind....

But in all seriousness, maybe you could be the friend that helps guide him to the realization that these guns are no different and no more deadly than any other "safe looking" semi auto weapon. This is a pretty close relative to the stereotypes that call for the banning of these "evil looking" rifles that have no other purpose other than to gun down law-enforcement officers and children... In a non-confrontational way try and find out why he thinks his BAR is so very different from an AR? Try and acclimate him to the idea and have some open discussion and you might be the one that changes his mind on the subject.

And on the other hand... I know the Hunting BAR's of today are a far cry from the open-bolt death machines of yester-years, but it may interest your friend to know that the idea for his BAR namesake started life as a squad automatic weapon designed specifically for killin' some nazees (or huns).
    Last edited by jstyer; 04-19-2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: added some stuff
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

I don't understand, will he not allow you to hunt with him if you are using an AR pattern rifle?

I'd tell him if he can list the pro's and con's of an AR in a hunting role logically and the con's outweigh the pro's you'll look into something else.

Lightweight, accurate, even with a 10/20 round mag or hell 30 round mag, my AR is lighter than my buddies hunting lever/bolt actions. They are slowly coming to the light. But we don't get to hunt to often with rifles as Iowa is a shotgun state for deer unless you are in the bottom two tiers of counties.

If he's just hating on AR's cuz he's a fudd I say to hell with him, he's obviously not much of a friend if he can't respect that you prefer a different platform than him.

Buying a different platform to conform and make him happy to me is ludicrous.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    From the little bit I know about wooden guns, I like what the Winchester Model 70 Classic brings to the table. Controlled-round feed, 5 round magazine, just about any functional caliber you can think of... not sure what more you could want in a hunting rifle. I bought the Featherweight Compact which turned out to be too small for me, so if I re-buy I'll get the standard Featherweight.

More here.

http://www.tacticalyellowvisor.net/p...ester-model-70
    If I go bolt action, it would either be a Winchester 70 or a Remington 700.

J.Ja

In terms of trying to change his mind... not happening. He is the most stubborn person I know, I learned a long time ago that trying to change his opinion is just asking for an argument, no matter how it's done. And I'm the kind of guy who can have a rational, sane, friendly conversation about politics on Facebook, and I know not to bother changing his mind.

The basic gist is that if I want to go hunting on his land with him, I should show up with something that looks like what his granddad taught him to shoot with...

J.Ja

20" Remington 700.
    #RESIST

User Tag List