Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM To Buy M110K1 Upper Receivers In 6.5CM From KAC

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I'm not sure I see the point to a 14.5" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Truthfully, I'm not sure I see the point of a 16" either.
    As others have stated the 6.5 doesn't need a 24"+ tube to be effective. At 16" you still get all the advantages of the 6.5 over 7.62 in a more compact rifle. As I understand it, the 14.5" is a rig that does well at distance and the lighter recoiling 6.5 gets you closer to the speed of a 5.56 gun.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for schooling me on short (sub 20") barrel 6.5CM guns guys. Interesting reading. I wonder if LMT will be making shorter 6.5 barrels now.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for schooling me on short (sub 20") barrel 6.5CM guns guys. Interesting reading. I wonder if LMT will be making shorter 6.5 barrels now.
    According to them: nope. 👎

According to them: nope. 👎
    That's surprising considering they offer four options if you want a 13.5" length 7.62 barrel.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    That's surprising considering they offer four options if you want a 13.5" length 7.62 barrel.
    Yep. I wonder the feasibility of cutting down one of their 20” tubes.

Does anyone know what 6.5CM load SOCOM is issuing?

Does anyone know what 6.5CM load SOCOM is issuing?
    Damn few people know at this point and those who do aren't talking. Larue submitted uppers and has made a few comments about the ammo. No prior access, kept under very tight reigns, 140gr Bergers in Norma brass loaded by Black Hills and it was somewhat hot.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I saw an article where a tester cut a 6.5CM barrel and measured velocity - it was an interesting article to see velocity vs barrel length and corresponding ballistics impact - shorter barrels were not as bad as one would expect with the high BC projectiles.
    https://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5...p-a-creedmoor/

https://rifleshooter.com/2019/03/6-5...velocity-2019/

Military 6.5's may be a little hotter/better optimized for shorter barrels; similar to .308 vs 7.62 loads or .223 vs 5.56.

Per Quickload from my notes:

6.5 Creedmoor, 123gr Lapua, Alliance Reloader 17, @ 62kpsi
    10” - 2383fps
    16”- 2795fps
    20”- 2962fps
    24”- 3,086fps

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I wish. Outside of AFSOC, which sort of gets to do whatever they want, our weapons procurement process can be kind of rough sometimes. A lot of the time it's "well just get whatever the Army has" which is how we ended up with the M18 pistol being fielded force wide.
    Not quite how it works re "whatever the army has"
    Last edited by Redhat; 11-09-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redhat View Post
    Not quite how it works re "whatever the army has"
    Hence the statement "a lot of the time" not "all of the time." Words mean things.

Our small arms aquisition has been comprehensively dicked up for ages, and unfortunately a lot of leadership in the SF Center really is enamored with the idea of us trying to copy everything the Army does, but changing it just slightly enough "because we're the air force" that the end result is a hopeless mess.

Reference the fact that the new SOP for the M18 is to carry a striker fired pistol with stored ignition energy with the safety off.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post

....Reference the fact that the new SOP for the M18 is to carry a striker fired pistol with stored ignition energy with the safety off.
    Holy shit.

User Tag List