Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USSOCOM To Buy M110K1 Upper Receivers In 6.5CM From KAC

I got to shoot one of these earlier this year, it was very impressive. I think KAC is the leader in large frame ARs.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Just use your deployment credit cards like they do for all the other cool gear. ONS.
    I wish. Outside of AFSOC, which sort of gets to do whatever they want, our weapons procurement process can be kind of rough sometimes. A lot of the time it's "well just get whatever the Army has" which is how we ended up with the M18 pistol being fielded force wide.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    If anyone figures out the barrel length I’m curious
    This contract is for 16" uppers. I suspect there will also be 14.5" variants purchased with unit funds.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    This contract is for 16" uppers. I suspect there will also be 14.5" variants purchased with unit funds.
    I'm not sure I see the point to a 14.5" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Truthfully, I'm not sure I see the point of a 16" either.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    I wish. Outside of AFSOC, which sort of gets to do whatever they want, our weapons procurement process can be kind of rough sometimes. A lot of the time it's "well just get whatever the Army has" which is how we ended up with the M18 pistol being fielded force wide.
    Not just an AF thing. DOD joint programs are mandatory for everyone outside SOCOM. Same with Ammo. USMC wanted brown tip but they were forced to go with M855A1.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    I'm not sure I see the point to a 14.5" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Truthfully, I'm not sure I see the point of a 16" either.
    16” Creedmoor is more of a hammer than one would expect out at distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I assume it is to keep down overall length while using a suppressor. I saw an article where a tester cut a 6.5CM barrel and measured velocity - it was an interesting article to see velocity vs barrel length and corresponding ballistics impact - shorter barrels were not as bad as one would expect with the high BC projectiles.

Site Supporter
    6.5mm cartridges out of 16” barrels have been messed around with for a while.

It was either Jack L or Ash Hess who mentioned that they were seeing ballistics equal to or slightly better than 20” 7.62 guns from the 14.5-16” 6.5 Creedmoor SR-25. Add in the benefits of taking 4+ inches, several ounces off the gun, and being a much more compact/maneuverable weapon and I don’t see much for a downside.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

High BC 140’s at 2500ish MV..... anyone within 600 yards needs to be plenty scared. 800 is where I always saw mine start to lose a good amount of “useable momentum”

Site Supporter
    You guys are getting me excited for my suppressed LaRue 18" 6.5 when my governor gets her AWB through the legeislature next year....

(Homer Simpson Stage Whisper/Mrs UNM1136 approved a suppressed AR10 in 6.5 for me and 16" 300 Blackout for each of the kids in the event it passes /Homer Simpson Stage Whisper/)

To say I have mixed feelings is an understatement....actually bordering schizophrenia....

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 10-31-2019 at 04:50 PM.

User Tag List