Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Tucson

RFI: Tucson

Headed out there for a week or so in early December. Will probably have a fair amount of time on my hands, and would like to hunt/shoot/hike/goof around in the outdoors.

What do I need to know? What should I avoid?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is cool. I really enjoyed my visit there. https://www.desertmuseum.org/

Site Supporter
    I recommend the Pima Air & Space Museum.

Tombstone
    Ft. Huachuaca
    Bisbey
    Hiking galore, you should take the Fairbanks hike, I think it’s only 6 miles or so.
    https://www.alltrails.com/us/arizona/tombstone

@Duelist still lives in the area. I used to, SE Arizona is great this time of year.

The Dirty T? The best thing about Tucson is seeing it in your rear view mirror! LOL Sorry The inner Sun Devil took over.

There are plenty of hiking trails around Tucson. My Lemmon is the highest point in the Catalina Mountains with lots of hiking and the Observatory. There might be some snow in December.

Tombstone is a 75 minute drive from Tucson. That’s a worthy day trip.

https://azstateparks.com/kartchner/ Kartchner Caverns are 45 minutes from Tucson. It’s a good tour and the caves are amazing.

I’ll second the Pima Space Museum and the Sonora Desert Museum.

Here’s a good site for you www.tucsontopia

Have fun! December is a great time to be in Arizona.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

If you shoot or hunt on public lands, south of Tucson and within 10 miles of the border go well armed and with company. Every movement you make will be under the watchful eye of a Sinaloa cartel spotter on the mountain tops with binoculars and an encrypted radio.

If you have interest in Cold War history there is a decommissioned Titan II missile base in Sahuarita that you can tour. While in Tucson I highly suggest you sample my favorite local delicacy, the Sonoran Dog. It's fantastic. My favorite place to get this or other good mexican food is El Guero Canelo with a close second being BK Carne Asada. Luckily they are within a block of each other so you can sample both.
    Last edited by Nightvisionary; 10-28-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Drive up to the observatory on Kitt Peak. Easily done in a day from Tucson. They have a very nice area up there for a picnic lunch. Might be a little snow up there in Dec. tho.

You won't be sorry.

Last edited by Borderland; 10-28-2019 at 05:10 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

If you USPSA there is a match every weekend at either Pima Pistol Club or Tucson Rifle Club. The Titan museum is cool and in my town (Green Valley), Pima Air Museum is great if you like planes. The drive up Mt. Lemon is beautiful and offers tons of trails if you like hiking. Tucson has a ton of great restaurants, El Chavo downtown is always a hit when I bring out of town eta there. The UoA mineral museum is world class, a drive through Saguaro National Park is a great thing to do (as mentioned the Desert Museum is cool and in the park). If you go S to Nogales for some reason (my Stations AOR) stay on the American side, it’s pretty sporty on the S side currently. Tubac has a very nice resort / golf course if you’re into that kind of thing, a couple of good restaurants and artsy stuff and good Mexican craft type shopping , Star Pass resort in Tucson is also very nice. It’s a small city but has a lot of good stuff. If you really want to get out in the desert or have specific interests PM me and I can make some recommendations

Thanks for the info.

Anyone else?

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

If you're gonna do the Boneyard Tour (https://pimaair.org/tour-boneyard/), sign up now, there's a 2 week background check period. It's really cool, if you're into planes.

If you do the Mt. Lemmon drive up, I think the narrated app is pretty neat: https://www.visittucson.org/things-t...monsciencetour

User Tag List