Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AZ DPS trooper shoots trucker from overpass with rifle to stop wrong-way big rig

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

As a kinda of related aside: Arizona seems to have a huge problem with wrong way drivers on the major rural interstates of 17 and 40. At least once a week I hear of a collision, usually fatal from a wrong way driver. Usually middle of the night, usually elderly or alcohol impaired.

I don't know if other states have this issue, but it seems like it happens often enough to suggest some sort of systemic issue with how the on/offramps are designed.
    You have to be pretty out of it not to notice that the reflectors on the interstate are all red when going the wrong way at night.

And yes, wrong way drivers happen elsewhere. There have been a rash of wrong-way suicides in Northern California in the last couple of years.
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-28-2019 at 08:38 PM.

A wrong way driver is dangerous enough.

One who is intentionally fleeing is worse.

One who is in something as massive as a tractor trailer rig is incredibly dangerous.

One who is in a tractor trailer rig, and more likely than not, under the influence of some "white powdery substance" is beyond incredibly dangerous.

Good shoot in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's Arizona...he got his just deserts.
    I agree... he was arroyo pain in the ass with that kind of driving.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I agree... he was arroyo pain in the ass with that kind of driving.
    I can't believe you had the sand to say that.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Some people may not appreciate all y'alls dry humor.

@paherne mentioned Plumhoff v Rckard and @TC215 linked to an article covering Mullenix v Luna, both are relevant SCOTUS cases - though I think Mullenix more on point. Scott v Harris definitely applies; there is a really good Harvard Law Review study on how the public perceives these events using that case.

This is briefing material, discuss this one. Kick it around,look at the law. Someone mentioned they didn’t think admin read case law. I have a screen capture of a chief’s deposition in a use of force lawsuit in which the chief did not what Graham’s Connor was.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 10-29-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    Some people may not appreciate all y'alls dry humor.
    It's humor. But it's a dry humor...
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

When I worked the midnight shift we had wrong way drivers on a regular basis. One of the worst crashes I ever worked involved a drunk wrong way driver. The result involved five vehicles, including a semi and around eight dead people, including a mother and her three children. That one took a piece of my soul. About a year later, we had an incident similar to the linked story. In that one I was the guy with the rifle. I had absolutely no problem with pulling the trigger, but we got it shut down before that became necessary. After that crash I decided I was going to do whatever was necessary, regardless of law or policy, to prevent it happening again. I still have nightmares about that one.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Do we want this to be a technical thread or a bullshitting thread? I'm fine with it either way, but let's either stay on the technical/legal aspects here or move it to the section of the forum designated for bullshitting.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post

I don't know if other states have this issue, but it seems like it happens often enough to suggest some sort of systemic issue with how the on/offramps are designed.
    When I very very briefly worked in the energy industry, there was a widespread belief that the truck drivers that served this industry did this intentionally as some sort of.... I don't know. It may be an urban legend, but tons of youtube wrong-way drivers are trucks in the energy industry.

It may be an urban legend, but it was a popular one. Years ago.

User Tag List