Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: rotomolded (rotomold) coolers (e.g. Yeti, Rtic, Engel, Grizzly, Ozark Trail, etc.)

rotomolded (rotomold) coolers (e.g. Yeti, Rtic, Engel, Grizzly, Ozark Trail, etc.)

Some old discussions here, but thought I’d start a new thread. Want to hear others’ experiences and use-cases.

Sub-topics could include
    • Best US-made?
    • Best budget brand?
    • Get what you pay for, or no?
    • Best applications or use-cases?
    • Best size? For what use?
    • Etc.

What I’m NOT terribly interested in is “you don’t need rotomold” or “my 1977 Igloo does just fine” etc. this thread is to discuss rotomolded and similar, not alternatives.

Listed a few brands in the title just to get the ball rolling, but by no means should the discussion be limited to those brands.

Links to tests, charts, YouTube’s, (legit) review sites, etc. encouraged.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    Data Point of 1

Noted trainer made the switch from a 316 Series Coleman to a Yeti in the the 2015 training season. Primary use was to keep soda/tea/water/Gatorade and lunch cold for himself ( and AI when applicable) as well as drinks and snacks on the road.

Noted trainer believed that Yeti “paid for itself” over the season (April to Nov) in ice cost savings as the Yeti could easily go 2x to 3x as long before the ice/ice water lost its cooling “power”.

Watching this thread with keen interest.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 06-05-2023 at 07:30 AM.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    Apologies for the political nature of this post... Thought it might be relevant to product selection.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-po...-yeti-coolers/

“If it wasn’t bad enough that YETI dropped The NRA Foundation as a client, now they’re calling us liars because we informed our members and friends of their actions,” Hammer said in a new statement. “YETI’s attempts at damage control is to say our statement is not accurate. Shame on you again YETI. You know you made a mistake. A big one. Now you must live with your mistake.”
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I have a 55Q Lifetime from Walmart that keeps just as good as my 55Q Artic. I was needing a new fish cooler for the boat and didnt want to pay 3 prices for one and decide to take a chance on lifetime. It worked very well.

The one I got is USA made and I would assume that the whole line is. Comes with a 5 year warranty. Hinges, latches, handles have held up very well. If I needed to replace one today I would get another Lifetime.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/sport...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...5+quart+review
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 06-05-2023 at 08:40 AM.

Site Supporter
    I broke down last year and bought the 77qt Lifetime.

Mine is also marked as made in the USA.

Primary reason for my purchase was to age venison post initial butchering and pre further processing before packaging for the freezer.

To that end it has worked very well.

I've also used it for a few camping trips and ice retention is good but as with any cooler, precooling is a thing and increases performance.

I'd buy again and haven't yet had a need for anything more.

I own a Lifetime 55 and the smaller 28.

The 55 lived in my patrol SUV and, at first, retained ice for days. I combined ice and an Engel 20 cooler pack and was astounded at the days I could go without replacing the ice.

Alabama summer hit and I noticed I got about a third of the performance I was getting. The lid had warped just enough to let cold air escape on both ends. One could consider that user error but my coworkers who owned RTIC, Yeti, etc didn’t have lids that warped. They all said they kept theirs in the patrol rides 24/7.

Still, for what I paid, they are both still great coolers but they may not be top tier.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have a 55Q Lifetime from Walmart that keeps just as good as my 55Q Artic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I broke down last year and bought the 77qt Lifetime.
    A few years ago we shot enough antelope that we needed to go buy a cooler and had to snag what was available on short notice in Riverton, WY, and that pretty much means something from Walmart. Since I wanted a nice cooler anyway I got one of the Lifetimes, and it has worked as expected (I like the latches).

@Littleebowski posted this some time ago.

And if you don't get a Yeti there will be more room on your truck window for a bigger Salt Life decal.

Lifetime High Performance Coolers are not rotomolded, they are blow molded. AFAIK, typically the insulation and durability rule of thumb is rotomolded > injection molded > blow molded.

I'll note that many of Pelican's hard coolers are also not rotomolded, but are instead injection molded (the ones with using polypropylene bodies are injection molded, and consist of all their coolers 70 quarts and below, besides the 65QW, which is rotomolded and has a body of polyethylene, like the few larger coolers that Pelican has).

I've had a Yeti Tundra Wheeled for the last couple of years. No real complaints, it's a cooler with wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have a 55Q Lifetime from Walmart that keeps just as good as my 55Q Artic. I was needing a new fish cooler for the boat and didnt want to pay 3 prices for one and decide to take a chance on lifetime. It worked very well.

The one I got is USA made and I would assume that the whole line is. Comes with a 5 year warranty. Hinges, latches, handles have held up very well. If I needed to replace one today I would get another Lifetime.

https://www.walmart.com/browse/sport...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...5+quart+review
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    A few years ago we shot enough antelope that we needed to go buy a cooler and had to snag what was available on short notice in Riverton, WY, and that pretty much means something from Walmart. Since I wanted a nice cooler anyway I got one of the Lifetimes, and it has worked as expected (I like the latches).

@Littleebowski posted this some time ago.

And if you don't get a Yeti there will be more room on your truck window for a bigger Salt Life decal.
    Buddy had a lifetime on the dock over the weekend, which is what prompted this post (his, and me deciding I need something of my own).

also LL's previous thread is what led me to include Ozark Trail in the thread title, thanks for linking to it (I couldn't find it, but didn't try all that hard).

is today's lifetime yesterday's ozark trail?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Our big Yeti’s have been solid for years now, it’s still amazing to see ice still frozen after a week. Mind you, in that instance the daytime high was about 43 but still cool.

Looking at adding one of the Yeti soft packs soon.

Haven’t heard of lifetime but have friends swear by ozark.

A good “lunch bag” option is the LBT SixR, I thought it was kind of gimmick but mine is impressive for a day trip.

Don’t buy at full price, LBT usually does a sale of a specific pattern every Friday and the cooler gets discounted to about $70.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

User Tag List