Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Does It Matter Which Gun I Use For Dry Fire

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    My first reason is because everyone here says it will make me a better shooter.

I'm also trying to overcome "NOW!!!!!!!" syndrome.

I noticed a couple of times that I was so stressed out I didn't even see the sights I'm trying to train myself to intentionally look at the sights

This isn't dry fire but I used to walk around substations in the middle of the night practicing my 4 point draw from my Safariland holster. I also used to go to a training building out in the middle of nowhere on one site and lay my jacket on a table for padding and practice magazine changes over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until I could do it in my sleep. I never tried to do it fast I just tried to do it right. I'm a big believer in practicing like that to build muscle memory.
    It sounds like you don’t live fire enough. How often do you get to the range and how many rounds do you fire when you do go?

@Cypher,

Here's my advice:

1. There is a time and place for dryfire, and a time and place for carrying loaded weapons. It is critically important to keep these separate in your mind, and (typically) separate in location. Avoid any possible confusion over the two modes. As well, it is possible that people can show up in places you assume are "safe". I know I guy who was camping in the middle of nowhere, and assumed he was alone. He was practicing his draw with a loaded gun, and guess what? Somedude walked up just as he drew. Fortunately no one was shot.

2. Seeing the sights is a good dryfire goal. Set up some targets, and do draws and transitions. Do not press the trigger. Just see the sights stabilize on target. Explore what it takes to get an acceptable sight picture that stops right on target, smoothly. You can do this with a blue gun, but the weight of the gun matters.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    @Cypher,

Here's my advice:

1. There is a time and place for dryfire, and a time and place for carrying loaded weapons. It is critically important to keep these separate in your mind, and (typically) separate in location. Avoid any possible confusion over the two modes. As well, it is possible that people can show up in places you assume are "safe". I know I guy who was camping in the middle of nowhere, and assumed he was alone. He was practicing his draw with a loaded gun, and guess what? Somedude walked up just as he drew. Fortunately no one was shot.

2. Seeing the sights is a good dryfire goal. Set up some targets, and do draws and transitions. Do not press the trigger. Just see the sights stabilize on target. Explore what it takes to get an acceptable sight picture that stops right on target, smoothly. You can do this with a blue gun, but the weight of the gun matters.

Thank you.

I appreciate your input.

@Cypher,,,,
    I have been checking this thread but could have missed this if someone already typed it. I was thinking about the above- draw and get sights on target -and I think this may be where switching guns could cause a problem. Especially if one is a Glock and the other isn't because of the quite different grip angle. IE, if you can draw and naturally get the sights lined up perfectly w/ an M&P, when you try it w/ the Glock, it will be aiming high.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I have been checking this thread but could have missed this if someone already typed it. I was thinking about the above- draw and get sights on target -and I think this may be where switching guns could cause a problem. Especially if one is a Glock and the other isn't because of the quite different grip angle. IE, if you can draw and naturally get the sights lined up perfectly w/ an M&P, when you try it w/ the Glock, it will be aiming high.
    That's a great point. Many people have difficulty with their index when they switch between guns with different grip angles. I actually don't have this problem, but I am not sure I can explain why. One thing may be the role of the support hand in indexing the gun. That hand is less affected by grip angle, so I think that helps me maintain a good index with Glocks, CZs, and various other guns. But of course that won't help with SHO/WHO shooting.

I agree that it's probably best to dryfire with the same make/model of gun that you carry.

Banned
    That's a great point. Many people have difficulty with their index when they switch between guns with different grip angles. I actually don't have this problem, but I am not sure I can explain why. One thing may be the role of the support hand in indexing the gun. That hand is less affected by grip angle, so I think that helps me maintain a good index with Glocks, CZs, and various other guns. But of course that won't help with SHO/WHO shooting.

I agree that it's probably best to dryfire with the same make/model of gun that you carry.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I noticed that when I used the lazed gun it shifted in my grip and I consistently ended up aimed just to the left of my target. I tried it with my Glock and I didn't have that issue.

I'm not sure if this is the same thing but I noticed that when I used the lazed gun it shifted in my grip and I consistently ended up aimed just to the left of my target. I tried it with my Glock and I didn't have that issue.
    Good job noticing that. Grip shape, thickness, and even texture, can change your NPA (natural point of aim).

Did the gun squirm in your grip as you clamped? Or is it just a different shape?

I think the goal isn’t to achieve perfect alignment 100% of the time. No one can do that. But as you’re discovering, with practice you can notice all sorts of small things that affect your index, and your shooting in general.

Banned
    Good job noticing that. Grip shape, thickness, and even texture, can change your NPA (natural point of aim).

Did the gun squirm in your grip as you clamped? Or is it just a different shape?

I think the goal isn’t to achieve perfect alignment 100% of the time. No one can do that. But as you’re discovering, with practice you can notice all sorts of small things that affect your index, and your shooting in general.

I didn't notice the LG shifting in my hand (that's not to say it didn't) but the grip is like grabbing a broom handle (O'Cedar not Mauser). I think that if I continued to practice with that I would develop bad habits trying to adjust to that grip.

I'm still not comfortable loading and unloading my gun every day so I think I'm going to unload my 19 and leave it that way for practice.

Banned
    I want to clarify my meaning when I say I'm not comfortable unloading my gun and loading it everyday. I am a very firm believer that unnecessary administrative handling leads to negligent discharges. I also think it's hard on the ammunition.

So while I am completely comfortable with the mechanics of loading and unloading my gun everyday, I don't think it's a good idea.
    Last edited by Cypher; 11-02-2019 at 12:46 AM.

Site Supporter
    I want to clarify my meaning when I say I'm not comfortable unloading my gun and loading it everyday. I am a very firm believer that unnecessary administrative handling leads to negligent discharges. I also think it's hard on the ammunition.

So while I am completely comfortable with the mechanics of loading and unloading my gun everyday, I don't think it's a good idea.
    I share your concern here...But without an Identical training piece, there isn't really a way around it. That is why dry fire protocols (to include dropping the chambered round out of the carry rotation) are sooooo important. If you can't swing a second gun, I would look at increasing your carry ammo budget by a box a every other month (which can equate to a box more practice with carry ammo every other month . A decade ago I decided bulk purchases of carry and training ammo were my friends) and using a Blade-Tech training barrel. Lasers also have a place here...In a perfect world I would have two identical guns, one that got the Blade-Tech barrel and was used for dry fire practice and later live fire training with training ammo and stock barrel. The second gun would be the carry piece, with a box of carry ammo run through it every other month.

I am also a believer that unnecessary adminstrative handling is bad....but dry fire training is not unnecessary, it is vital, so allowances need to be made.

Just my opinion, and probably worth about what you paid for it...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 11-02-2019 at 06:03 AM.

User Tag List