Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does It Matter Which Gun I Use For Dry Fire

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    If the urge to dry fire is strong that we need to do with the gun we’re carrying, while we’re carrying it - might I suggest doing some push ups instead....

I agree with your comment but I don't see how it applies. My carry gun is loaded all the time unless I'm cleaning it. There isn't a time when I unload it and store it for any length of time.

Site Supporter
    If you want to dry fire at work; do it through visualization. Do your actual dry-fire drills at home.

Then if you have a minute to burn at work, and are in a location where you don’t need all of your situational awareness do this. Think back on your dry-fire reps and live-fire reps that were good. Now imagine yourself doing it in excruciating detail, step by step. Really focus on all thi little details, like what it felt like to get a good grip. How your arm muscles felt when they began the draw. Where your arms were when you could pick up the front site. Remember what your optimal grip feels like and replicate it in your mind. Same with squeezing the trigger. Get as detailed as you can for each step. If your doing it right it’s almost as mentally tiring as the real thing.

Sport psychologists will tell you that your mind doesn’t differentiate well betwen what you imagine and what you actually do, and most high level athletes do similar sport specific mental drills.

I personally do similar drills for shooting, archery and motorcycles, and have found it’s a good way to build and maintain technical skills when you have some downtime, but can’t actually shoot.
    Last edited by Caballoflaco; 10-28-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I agree with your comment but I don't see how it applies. My carry gun is loaded all the time unless I'm cleaning it. There isn't a time when I unload it and store it for any length of time.
    So you’re saying you carry an additional unloaded gun with you for the sake of dry fire ?

I didn’t mean to be rude I just missed that part.

In my opinion dry fire is dry fire. Whether or not it’s exactly like your carry gun isn’t that pertinent.

Would I do it anywhere except home with nothing but baren earth as my backdrop, no. Not at all

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    So you’re saying you carry an additional unloaded gun with you for the sake of dry fire ?

I didn’t mean to be rude I just missed that part.

In my opinion dry fire is dry fire. Whether or not it’s exactly like your carry gun isn’t that pertinent.

Would I do it anywhere except home with nothing but baren earth as my backdrop, no. Not at all
    I think we're miscommunicating.

My original question was does it matter which gun I use for dry fire. I didn't specify but I meant at home.

The "gun" that I've been practicing with at work is a plastic trainer but since everyone seems to be in agreement that that's a really bad idea I'm going to stop doing it.

All that said, what do people do that have more than one kind of gun? Dry fire fire with them all?

Banned
    What about getting a blue gun Glock and using it to practice the sight alignment part of the drill in the video?

What about getting a blue gun Glock and using it to practice the sight alignment part of the drill in the video?
    I think that's very beneficial for me. I'm using a blue beretta with inperfect sights but I get to still really work the fundamentals.

While switching to Berettas, I was carrying my Glock and dry firing an empty Beretta. While time entirely on one action type (and model) is ideal, plenty of benefits can be gained practicing on a different action type. 90% of the benefit for me is grip, stance, and moving my eyes. The trigger press is important... but a solid grip can mask alot of shoddy trigger work. A real gun can work on that, and should occassionally.

Blue gun < Different action type < Same action type < Same model

-Cory

When I was mostly toting and shooting my Berettas, it was easy- my 92D got a Laserlyte training cartridge, and that was the dry fire gun.

With a 1911, I don't really know what I should do. Should I use the 1911, and possibly pick up a training scar from repeatedly thumbing back the hammer? Should I go with the DAO 92D?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I think we're miscommunicating.

All that said, what do people do that have more than one kind of gun? Dry fire fire with them all?

Why I like Laser Ammo trainers. They have an extension with an orange tip. My range gun, when it comes home, empty from the range, when I get home will get a laser into it and an aid to keep the slide stop from working. Range gun is the same as carry, only more shots.
    Other guns, will only be fired, or dry fired, on occasion (basically to keep burnout from happening, or function check/point safe direction). Focusing on the fundamentals with the carry gun, still roles over with benefits on the others. I prefer a blue gun for holster work/practice.

It depends on what you are trying to achieve with dryfire. I've dry fired transitions and shooting on the move with a pen in a hotel room.

If you're working on trigger control (e.g. trigger presses at speed without moving the sights), you might want to dryfire with a heavier trigger than on your regular gun.

If you're working on draws and reloads, than the gun and holster you use matters a lot.

During my daily dryfire, I typically do some draws and a few drills with my spare carry gun (CZ P-07). Then I put on my competition rig and use my practice gun fr whatever I'm working on.

When I carried a Glock 20 last summer in Alaska, I did regular dryfire to get used to the draw and trigger press for that gun.

I do not find laser trainers, SERTs, and the like to be very helpful.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-29-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It depends on what you are trying to achieve with dryfire. I've dry fired transitions and shooting on the move with a pen in a hotel room.

If you're working on trigger control (e.g. trigger presses at speed without moving the sights), you might want to dryfire with a heavier trigger than on your regular gun.

If you're working on draws and reloads, than the gun and holster you use matters a lot.

During my daily dryfire, I typically do some draws and a few drills with my spare carry gun (CZ P-07). Then I put on my competition rig and use my practice gun fr whatever I'm working on.

When I carried a Glock 20 last summer in Alaska, I did regular dryfire to get used to the draw and trigger press for that gun.

I do not find laser trainers, SERTs, and the like to be very helpful.

My first reason is because everyone here says it will make me a better shooter.

I'm also trying to overcome "NOW!!!!!!!" syndrome.

I noticed a couple of times that I was so stressed out I didn't even see the sights I'm trying to train myself to intentionally look at the sights

This isn't dry fire but I used to walk around substations in the middle of the night practicing my 4 point draw from my Safariland holster. I also used to go to a training building out in the middle of nowhere on one site and lay my jacket on a table for padding and practice magazine changes over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again until I could do it in my sleep. I never tried to do it fast I just tried to do it right. I'm a big believer in practicing like that to build muscle memory.
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-29-2019 at 07:44 PM.

User Tag List