Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does It Matter Which Gun I Use For Dry Fire

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Then why are you an armed guard there?
    First of all I'm not an armed guard and I never said I was.

Second, because the client is willing to pay for it.

I'm here keep squatters out
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-28-2019 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm not in public. I'm in a locked room in an empty and abandoned warehouse. In the middle of an empty parking lot behind a locked 9 ft fence that's topped with barbed wire. At 3 a.m. in the morning. There is literally no one here but me.

I can't fathom the kind of mistake that would allow me to have a negligent discharge using a plastic gun that doesn't even have a chamber or a barrel in it.

Again, I'm the only one on this site. I'm also the only one with the key to the front gate. The bathroom door is locked. No one's walking in on me. Even if the Boss shows up and calls me because that's the only way he's getting in all I have to do is put everything away and go let him in and tell him I was in the bathroom

While not in public, you're still at work. I feel that is unwise. You're response to getting caught is essentially "How can I get caught, that's impossible, and I would lie about using the restroom." That just goes to show that it is a wrong way to do this.

Your initial post was largely about using an actual firearm, with small mention of the laser trainer. You were discussing dryfire with a real firearm, and I responded addressing that. Having an ND isn't impossible with a real gun. Your laser gun is not a good training tool in my opinion.

If you're bored at work I would suggest checking out some books on defense that you can learn from. There are many.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 10-28-2019 at 09:01 AM.

Site Supporter
    Unfortunately that's not an option at this point
    Could you add the Apex polymer trigger to the M&P. That would make it more like a Glock.
    Last edited by HCM; 10-28-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Yes it matters, but something is better than nothing.

My own experience I used to compete with an M&P when I was introduced to GSSF. I found it challenging to go from one gun to the next and compete at the higher levels. Initially I would cease all dry fire with the M&P for at least a week prior to a GSSF match and only practice with a Glock. Ultimately I decided to go all Glock for continuity.

*Personally, I'd suggest training with the other real gun vs. the laser trainer. But the laser trainer is better than nothing.
    A71593

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    *Personally, I'd suggest training with the other real gun vs. the laser trainer. But the laser trainer is better than nothing.
    I don't use the laser part of the laser trainer because someone here told me using the laser makes you focus on the laser instead of the sights.

I almost never carry my Glock 19. Maybe I should unload it and use it.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Could you add the Apex polymer trigger to the M&P. That would make it more like a Glock.
    Money is tight. Any solution that involves spending extra money is probably not going to be an option
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-28-2019 at 03:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    I don't use the laser part of the laser trainer because someone here told me using the laser makes you focus on the laser instead of the sights.

I almost never carry my Glock 19. Maybe I should unload it and use it.

Money is tight. Any solution that involves spending extra money is probably not going to be an option
    Oh, you have a 19. I thought you had just the 26 and the M&P. Yeah, use the 19 to dry fire.

Maybe dump the M&P and the laser gun and get that cheap used 27. Or a case or two of 9mm.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-28-2019 at 03:16 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Oh, you have a 19. I thought you had just the 26 and the M&P. Yeah, use the 19 to dry fire.

Maybe dump the M&P and the laser gun and get that cheap used 27. Or a case or two of 9mm.

If I got 5 bucks for the laser gun I'd be amazed. I've actually tried to sell the M&P and no one is interested because it's a 1.0.

I don't know if you saw the thread I started about stressing out when I shoot but I think I have a classic case of Now syndrome and that's what I'm trying to overcome.

If the urge to dry fire is so strong that we need to do it with the gun we’re carrying, while we’re carrying it - might I suggest doing some push ups instead....
    Last edited by Duke; 10-28-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Site Supporter
    If I got 5 bucks for the laser gun I'd be amazed. I've actually tried to sell the M&P and no one is interested because it's a 1.0.

I don't know if you saw the thread I started about stressing out when I shoot but I think I have a classic case of Now syndrome and that's what I'm trying to overcome.
    Yeah, I did see that. And I understand about the 1.0 valuation. Kinda sucks.

First of all I'm not an armed guard and I never said I was.

Second, because the client is willing to pay for it.

I'm here keep squatters out
    Ah, my mistake. I guess I just assumed and that’s on me, I’m sorry.

In that case I definitely wouldn’t recommend what you're doing at work then. Compared to what you can do for 15 minutes at home with well structured and proper dryfire, what you’re currently doing is simply not worth it or all that valuable.

I’d suggest you start saving up for a spare used sample of what you currently have. You don’t have to save a ton at a time and you don’t have to buy it like next month or anything, but I’m sure you can probably squirrel away like $50 a month or something and be able to get a spare in a few months or more. AIM has police trade-in G19s come up on the regular for around $360. G23s for less than that which can be converted to a G19 essentially for not a lot of cost.

User Tag List