Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does It Matter Which Gun I Use For Dry Fire

Banned

Does It Matter Which Gun I Use For Dry Fire

I'm a firm believer in minimizing unnecessary administrative handling of loaded firearms.

I'm uncomfortable unloading and loading my Glock daily for dry fire practice.

My M&P is normally unloaded and stored in my safe.

Is it going to make any appreciable difference if I use the gun I don't have to load and unload everytime I practice with it.

As a side question I also have a Third Generation S&W where I'd be practicing with a DA trigger that also is normally unloaded. Would that be a better choice?

ETA: I also have a training gun from a lazer trainer it has Glock sights and the trigger simulates a Glock trigger but the grip is smaller.

What about that?
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-27-2019 at 11:30 PM.

The trigger pull will be different. Probably your sights too I would imagine.

Site Supporter
    Duplicate your carry gun. Get a cheap used G27, and that’s your dry fire gun. Buy a 9mm conversion barrel and sights identical to what’s on your G26 for it in a couple of months, now it’s your training gun for both dry fire and live fire. Carry the G26 and shoot it a couple times a year.

Any dry fire beats none, though.
    Last edited by Duelist; 10-28-2019 at 12:43 AM.

Banned
    This is the training gun FWIW.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Duplicate your carry gun. Get a cheap used G27, and that’s your dry fire gun. Buy a 9mm conversion barrel and sights identical to what’s on your G26 for it in a couple of months, now it’s your training gun for both dry fire and live fire. Carry the G26 and shoot it a couple times a year.

Any dry fire beats none, though.
    Unfortunately that's not an option at this point

Banned
    Currently I am guarding an abandoned warehouse. So I drew a circle on the wall in the women's bathroom about the size of a silver dollar. And I go in there once or twice a night and lock the door behind me in practice this drill.

I'm thinking about using the training gun to do that with because that's the simplest solution.

That sounds like a terrible place and time to dryfire.

You need a dedicated place, not at work, not in public. You need a time that you can seriously dedicate 15 minutes or so of focus, everyday.

If you make a mistake and have an ND, where is that round headed? And in your case if you're caught dryfiring what are the repercussions?

I dryfire in an area of my home that loose ammo doesn't go, and loaded weapons aren't unholstered. I normally use a blue gun with no trigger press possible. When I need a trigger for whatever reason I use a live weapon, triple checked to be clear. I use a direction of my house that is a concrete wall. I start by saying "I am begining dryfire" out loud. And I end with "I am done dryfiring" out loud. That helps prevent me from restarting dryfire after changing to a loaded gun.

In my old house, guns were all in one room. No live ammo ever entered that room and I used it for dryfire and cleaning weapons. All loaded firearms and ammo were kept elsewhere. I'm working to get back to "sanitary area" like this in addition to my current safety mechanisms.

Sell that laser pointer, and get a blue gun. Then dryfire at home. Use a real weapon only when pressing a ttigger is needed. A ton of Ben Stoeger drills don't really require a trigger press.

-Cory

I agree with Cory for the most part. You shouldn’t be doing JUST that drill, you shouldn’t be doing it with that laser gun, and you shouldn’t be doing it at work.

Get either Ben Stoeger or Steve Anderson’s dryfire books. They’ll give you a ton of stuff to work on besides simply pressing the trigger. Get a blue gun, but you should REALLY have a copy of what you carry for work so that you can get some proper practice in. Even a SIRT pistol is a much better alternative than your current laser gun. Finally, do it at home in a safe place and do it properly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    You need a dedicated place, not at work, not in public. You need a time that you can seriously dedicate 15 minutes or so of focus, everyday.
    I'm not in public. I'm in a locked room in an empty and abandoned warehouse. In the middle of an empty parking lot behind a locked 9 ft fence that's topped with barbed wire. At 3 a.m. in the morning. There is literally no one here but me.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    If you make a mistake and have an ND, where is that round headed? And in your case if you're caught dryfiring what are the repercussions?
    I can't fathom the kind of mistake that would allow me to have a negligent discharge using a plastic gun that doesn't even have a chamber or a barrel in it.

Again, I'm the only one on this site. I'm also the only one with the key to the front gate. The bathroom door is locked. No one's walking in on me. Even if the Boss shows up and calls me because that's the only way he's getting in all I have to do is put everything away and go let him in and tell him I was in the bathroom

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm not in public. I'm in a locked room in an empty and abandoned warehouse. In the middle of an empty parking lot behind a locked 9 ft fence that's topped with barbed wire. At 3 a.m. in the morning. There is literally no one here but me.

I can't fathom the kind of mistake that would allow me to have a negligent discharge using a plastic gun that doesn't even have a chamber or a barrel in it.

Again, I'm the only one on this site. I'm also the only one with the key to the front gate. The bathroom door is locked. No one's walking in on me. Even if the Boss shows up and calls me because that's the only way he's getting in all I have to do is put everything away and go let him in and tell him I was in the bathroom
    Then why are you an armed guard there?

User Tag List