Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploring a second career in law enforcement

Exploring a second career in law enforcement

I know there are a good number of law enforcement SME's on here and so I would highly value their input on this topic. Pertinent background info:

I've worked in finance pretty much since college. More and more I am realizing that although I make OK money, I'm just another anonymous cog in a big machine. But, I really like helping people...in addition to shooting, jiu jitsu, and physical fitness.

My last finance role wasn't a good fit for a couple of reasons and I found myself "day dreaming" about a career change into becoming a police officer when I wasn't panicking or stressing about work (which was often). I did do some searching on PF.com but I don't think I found any threads specifically discussing a career transition. Fast forward to last week when I and several other colleagues got laid off due to budget reasons. So now, I have an even better opportunity to make the switch if I wanted to. I have no military or previous LE background. I'm in my mid to late 30's, so probably older than the average new officer but not unheard of? I guess the bottom line is deciding what nonsense I am willing to put up with it.

So, law enforcement officers of PF, if you could do it again would you go into LE? Is it even worth it to explore in 2019? I see threads like "Remember when you were excited to go to work" and that's telling but maybe my sample size is too small. I realize there's a lot to consider here but I'd like to here if the veterans on here would ever think it's worthwhile to start down that road. Thanks.

Maybe become a firefighter. Everyone likes them.

Seriously though, being a police officer (or special agent) is an honorable profession and I'm proud to have served.

But today, it seems like the handwriting is on the wall...and you can see for yourself how many members here who are nearing eligibility to retire are counting the days.

If you think you can still make a difference and handle the potential negatives which may be brought by your agency, litigation, the press...then more power to you.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Maybe become a firefighter. Everyone likes them.

Seriously though, being a police officer (or special agent) is an honorable profession and I'm proud to have served.

But today, it seems like the handwriting is on the wall...and you can see for yourself how many members here who are nearing eligibility to retire are counting the days.

If you think you can still make a difference and handle the potential negatives which may be brought by your agency, litigation, the press...then more power to you.
    Thanks blues. Point taken. That said, do you think it will only get worse from here? It seems like attitudes towards the police and crime tend to ebb and flow in the US. Eventually people will (probably) get tired of the nonsense....right?

Site Supporter
    Coming in at your age is not that rare in my experience. About half of our hires are coming into LE work after transitioning from a prior career for all sorts of reasons.

My advice, for what it's worth, is:

1) Do it because this is the career you want to be in, doing this because it is what you want to do. If it is just scratching an itch, that's all well and good, but don't enter into the career with a laissez faire attitude. That's a surefire way to put off your coworkers. Some of the 'older' applicants I've seen have a problem with younger officers being in a supervisory role. I was an FTO at 25 years old, training new officers who were 10-15 years old than me. They came in with a wide array of experiences that in some cases were beneficial, but a few thought that their age and life experience alone meant they had achieved a certain status. It caused some issues. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your life experiences equate to a level of respect from your co-workers. In a lot of places, that respect is earned. Show up, shut up, put out. Attitude and effort go a long way!

2) You have to be able to set your own levels of self satisfaction and not rely on the conventional benchmarks like commendations and promotions as a sign that you are doing things the right way. You mentioned reading the posts here, which can show how cynical this career can make even the most well intentioned individual. I can't speak for everywhere, but in my portion of the globe having a background in shooting, martial arts, and physical fitness would make you an anomaly, not the norm. Again, set your own bar for performance and try to surpass it. If you can self-motivate, then you'll do well.

3) Make sure this won't be an issue with your family. My academy class had 25 graduates, 12 were married at the time. Fifteen years later, only 1 is with the same spouse. Shift work, extended absences, residential police academies, etc can all wreak havoc on a family. Make sure that segment of your life is in order.

4) Now is the time to get into this job, from an applicant standpoint. It seems everyone is hiring. Find an agency that fits your idea of what you want to be doing best. Go on ride alongs, talk to recruiters(a lot of departments have them nowadays). As an example, if you are a country boy who has never been out of the sticks, working for a large urban agency might be a bit of a culture shock that could cause some issues early on. It's a bit of a buyers market, so apply wisely.

5) If, and when, you do get on, focus on becoming the best patrol/road/street cop you can be before setting your sights on whatever specialty area you want to dive into. Most guys and girls want to do the cool shit, but you can't do the cool shit well unless you have the basics down first! Police work has fundamentals like everything else, master those and everything else will sort itself out. Make yourself an asset at your entry level position before you start moving up the career ladder.

Good luck!!!!!
    Last edited by Mac; 10-27-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Coming in at your age is not that rare in my experience. About half of our hires are coming into LE work after transitioning from a prior career for all sorts of reasons.

My advice, for what it's worth, is:

1) Do it because this is the career you want to be in, doing this because it is what you want to do. If it is just scratching an itch, that's all well and good, but don't enter into the career with a laissez faire attitude. That's a surefire way to put off your coworkers. Some of the 'older' applicants I've seen have a problem with younger officers being in a supervisory role. I was an FTO at 25 years old, training new officers who were 10-15 years old than me. They came in with a wide array of experiences that in some cases were beneficial, but a few thought that their age and life experience alone meant they had achieved a certain status. It caused some issues. Don't make the mistake of thinking that your life experiences equate to a level of respect from your co-workers. In a lot of places, that respect is earned. Show up, shut up, put out. Attitude and effort go a long way!

2) You have to be able to set your own levels of self satisfaction and not rely on the conventional benchmarks like commendations and promotions as a sign that you are doing things the right way. You mentioned reading the posts here, which can show how cynical this career can make even the most well intentioned individual. I can't speak for everywhere, but in my portion of the globe having a background in shooting, martial arts, and physical fitness would make you an anomaly, not the norm. Again, set your own bar for performance and try to surpass it. If you can self-motivate, then you'll do well.

3) Make sure this won't be an issue with your family. My academy class had 25 graduates, 12 were married at the time. Fifteen years later, only 1 is with the same spouse. Shift work, extended absences, residential police academies, etc can all wreak havoc on a family. Make sure that segment of your life is in order.

4) Now is the time to get into this job, from an applicant standpoint. It seems everyone is hiring. Find an agency that fits your idea of what you want to be doing best. Go on ride alongs, talk to recruiters(a lot of departments have them nowadays). As an example, if you are a country boy who has never been out of the sticks, working for a large urban agency might be a bit of a culture shock that could cause some issues early on. It's a bit of a buyers market, so apply wisely.

5) If, and when, you do get on, focus on becoming the best patrol/road/street cop you can be before setting your sights on whatever specialty area you want to dive into. Most guys and girls want to do the cool shit, but you can't do the cool shit well unless you have the basics down first! Police work has fundamentals like everything else, master those and everything else will sort itself out. Make yourself an asset at your entry level position before you start moving up the career ladder.

Good luck!!!!!
    Thanks Mac. Solid points to consider for sure. As an aside, why do you think LE seems to attract people who are NOT into shooting and physical fitness? That seems so odd to me. It would be like someone applying for a finance role but not liking numbers or math.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM View Post
    Thanks blues. Point taken. That said, do you think it will only get worse from here? It seems like attitudes towards the police and crime tend to ebb and flow in the US. Eventually people will (probably) get tired of the nonsense....right?
    Who can say? Things have been trending negatively the past several years and I, personally, do not see a lot of light on the horizon...but that's not to say things can't or won't rebound. (I certainly hope they do.)

Temper your passion and desire with reason and you won't go far wrong, imho. Whatever you decide, I respect your desire to make a difference.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Law enforcement needs good people. The local agency I worked for can’t keep anyone (and it’s a good place to work), and can’t get good applicants.

I’ll echo what was said above— If you have a family, make sure they’re ok with it. The job is definitely hard on families and marriages.

You’re not too old to start, just take care of yourself and take care of your body. I was 22 when I started, and am 34 now. My body has paid the price (arthritis in my knees, broken bones), but I could have done better taking care of myself.

Like I was told when I started— “You’ve got a front row seat to the greatest show on earth.” It’s true.

Site Supporter
    Thanks Mac. Solid points to consider for sure. As an aside, why do you think LE seems to attract people who are NOT into shooting and physical fitness? That seems so odd to me. It would be like someone applying for a finance role but not liking numbers or math.
    Because it is a people job. If you are a people watcher, find people interesting, especially at their best and worst, like talking to people )at least in the beginning) it is the job for you. It is as some have said a ringside seat to the greatest show on earth.

Fighting and shooting are important, but They are definitely in the stakes not the odds category.

The people here on PF are from that 10% of the bell curve that are into all that.

Obviously you would see a higher percentage in certain groups like firearms instructors, swat cops, etc. but as the late Francis Magee , Lieutenant in charge of NYPD firearms training one said the average cop would rather have a nice Parker pen than a custom duty pistol
    Last edited by HCM; 10-27-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Law enforcement needs good people today, probably more than ever. Many agencies are having trouble finding and retaining quality people. I policed for 34 years total, including local, state and Army time. It was incredibly rewarding and what I wanted to do since I was a child.

So much as changed since I retired from LSP in 2008. The public expectations and perceptions about LE isn’t going to get better in our lifetime, and maybe not ever. Being right is no longer the protection it was once was, and the perception now is you will be wrong.

Policing is regional, and there are places I wouldn’t consider starting a LE career.

It can be incredibly rewarding but it can take much from you if you aren’t careful. It’s hard on families and some people struggle with stress and, over time, poor eating and fitness habits.

You will never be rich, but there are agencies that pay well and have great retirements.

Good luck with your decision.

Site Supporter
    Like HCM said, this gig is about interacting with people. Regardless of what position you have within LE, more often then not your successes and failures can be tracked back to your ability to communicate. We tend to hire more people with backgrounds in the social services, addiction counselors, probation officers, teachers, etc than we do people with combat deployments and blue belts. For a lot of people, this is just a job, a means to an end with a decent pension and some cool stories to tell your friends.

The overwhelming mindset is the gun on your belt is a tool of the trade just like a pen in your pocket. We have 300 sworn, there are only 5 or 6 guys who to go to BJJ regularly, even though we have a studio in town that gives us a huge membership discount. There are 3 of us who shoot USPSA/IDPA, even though we have 6 clubs within an hour drive. I'm one of two in my entire agency who has paid out of pocket for outside training in the last 5 years even though the entire Shivworks collective, Tom Givens, Rob Haught, Chuck Haggard, Bill Rapier, Larry Vickers, and Scott Jedlinski have run classes 90 minutes or less from the front door. Guys would rather spend their $$$ fishing or lifting their pickup.
    Last edited by Mac; 10-27-2019 at 08:41 PM.

User Tag List