Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with a Couple of J Frame Shooting Issues

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Cecil Burch - I guess finding one's "enough" is the hard part. I've got a pair of the Taurus grips on the way and have my eye on a couple of different Altamont grips, might even go semi-old school and see if I can find some Pachmayr's. I'm really enjoying the gun, it's the most fun I've had in a while.
    You're probably going to wind up with a shoe box or so full of J-frame grips. I did before I settled on the ones I've got on my 638, and when I bought my GP100 I went through three or four different sets before I settled on one.

Somebody with more energy than me could set up a revolver grip lending library so we could all try different stuff.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    You're probably going to wind up with a shoe box or so full of J-frame grips. I did before I settled on the ones I've got on my 638, and when I bought my GP100 I went through three or four different sets before I settled on one.

Somebody with more energy than me could set up a revolver grip lending library so we could all try different stuff.
    I did the next-best thing.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @Cecil Burch - I guess finding one's "enough" is the hard part.

yup. It is the snub-centric version of "what AIWB holster is best?" For example, I strongly dislike finger grooves. One of the better shooters at the Revolver Round Up prefers to shoot ONLY finger groove grips. Such an individual thing.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

So, back in the olden days of cops actually carrying these things, many plainclothes cops actually carried J frames as primary handguns. In that era, it was totally normal to see a J frame or Colt D frame snub with the fairly big Pachmayr Compac’s. They are not great for how we often use these guns now, but for those who had to shoot the guns for Qualification, the larger, much more shootable grips were very normal. I use a lot of small grips on mine because if I am carrying a snub it is as a back up or NPE gun and concealment is more important to me than shooting it. I used to use the old Rogers grips on mine for being able to shoot high qualification scores yet, they were not sticky like the Pachmayrs on clothing.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I always qualified with the OEM walnut Magna grips on the Model 36...at the NYPD range at Rodman's Neck and in later years at the Miami-Dade P.D range on 58th St.

Toward the end I swapped them for a pair of Pachmayr grips that were still small enough not to interfere with ankle carry.

(FWIW, I really like the rubber Hogue grips, (sorta like the Uncle Mike's), that come OEM on the 642. They work well, for me, AIWB or pocket.)
    Last edited by blues; 11-01-2019 at 06:58 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Sell it and buy a lcr lol, jk, not really.

My choice is the Fitz Gunfighter. Sorry not able to do a picture.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    My choice is the Fitz Gunfighter. Sorry not able to do a picture.
    Hard to find but worth the effort . I prowl the “junk” section at old gun stores for em. I think I paid $5 for this set.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-02-2019 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Hard to find but worth the effort . I prowl the “junk” section at old gun stores for em. I think I paid $5 for this set.
    How about a picture from the rear to show everyone how the Gunfighter helps recoil control? They come up on EBAY from time to time.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Name:  1FCF3CC1-67BE-4BE7-902B-394AB0CE0802.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  24.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    How about a picture from the rear to show everyone how the Gunfighter helps recoil control? They come up on EBAY from time to time.
    I’d be more than happy to loan mine to a grip maker that wants to copy the design in wood or G10 or corian. Same with the wood set of modified I frame grips in the pics too.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by jandbj; 11-05-2019 at 04:16 PM.

User Tag List