Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with a Couple of J Frame Shooting Issues

Site Supporter

Help with a Couple of J Frame Shooting Issues

I got a used 642-2 last week and have put about 350 rounds through it so far, about 200 wadcutters and various 158s at close to or at +P velocities. The grips are the stock Uncle Mikes that came on it. The gun functions fine, though it appears to require lighter bullets to hit POA.

I've noticed when shooting rapid-fire that unless I really bear down, the gun will rotate upward while firing, causing vertical stringing. This isn't an issue with my K frame and larger revolvers, including with full-power .357 Mag ammo. Do I just need to squeeze the hell out of the gun, or might I need larger grips? I'm 6'1" with average hands for my height.

I've also lost some skin and blood from my thumb knuckle hitting the cylinder release. This doesn't even happen with my M57 and full-power loads. I've got files and I'm not afraid to use them, but is there another fix? Like squeezing the hell out of the gun?

I think with J-frames and boot grips, things are going to rotate unless you really bear down on 'em. Different grips may help, and are a very personal thing. LG-405's seem to help me, but they are not for everyone. I modified the cylinder latch/thumbpiece on my 442 to give it a more rounded profile, and it rarely bites me anymore. I used a grinder, then a dremel and finally a diamond stone and needle files to clean up the checkering. I touched it up with cold blue. Oddly enough my 60-10 (with different grips, Houge wrap arounds) doesn't ever really bite me, even with hotter .357 loads.

I have found that keeping my round count down to 50-100 a week is beneficial. I dry fire and find it helps. I also load five shoot rotate cylinder and repeat. Sometimes I mix live and spent rounds. This give me more trigger time with less wear and tear on my hands. I also only shoot my wadcutters reloads. I find fewer live rounds allow me to really focus and bear down.i get more bang for my buck. I save higher round count shooting for my full size guns.

I'm about your size, and I'm guessing we have similar size hands. I put a set of these grips on my 638:

https://store.smith-wesson.com/grip-...er-combat-grip

They helped quite a bit. I can just get all three fingers on the gun. If they were any smaller, wouldn't have a full grip. If they were any bigger, I wouldn't want to put the gun in a pocket.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    I'm about your size, and I'm guessing we have similar size hands. I put a set of these grips on my 638:

https://store.smith-wesson.com/grip-...er-combat-grip

They helped quite a bit. I can just get all three fingers on the gun. If they were any smaller, wouldn't have a full grip. If they were any bigger, I wouldn't want to put the gun in a pocket.
    And of course, they're out of stock. The story of my life. Taurus 85 grips were recommended in another thread, but apparently they're out of production though still available on flea bay.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 10-27-2019 at 04:55 PM.

I was one to file/smooth-out the lower edge to my cylinder release.
    Rounding off the sharp edge, as in my attached photo, made a big difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    And of course, they're out of stock. The story of my life. Taurus 85 grips were recommended in another thread, but apparently they're out of production though still available on flea bay.
    Same grips:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-W-J-Frame...kAAOSwGrBdsQcs
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I've also lost some skin and blood from my thumb knuckle hitting the cylinder release.
    I modified the thumb latch on my J-Frames and that helps some. If I'm going to shoot a lot in practice I wrap a band aid over my thumb.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-0325...fishing&sr=1-1

If you want to shoot a lot, these are the grips for you. Not too good for pocket carry though.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I modified the thumb latch on my J-Frames and that helps some. If I'm going to shoot a lot in practice I wrap a band aid over my thumb.

https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-0325...fishing&sr=1-1

If you want to shoot a lot, these are the grips for you. Not too good for pocket carry though.
    How well do those grips work with speedloaders?

How well do those grips work with speedloaders?
    I had to modify mine with a Dremel before they worked correctly with Safariland Comp I. I don't remember if I tried any other brand.

User Tag List