Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Help with a Couple of J Frame Shooting Issues

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    Attachment 44454

I’d be more than happy to loan mine to a grip maker that wants to copy the design in wood or G10 or corian. Same with the wood set of modified I frame grips in the pics too.
    I also have a set of the same wood grips. I believe they are Herrett's

Thanks for putting up the pictures for everyone to see.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    I got a couple of sets of grips to try - the Taurus boot grip and the Hogue "Tamer" - and took them to the range this afternoon.

I had already installed the Taurus grips, so they were first up. I set up a B8 at five yards, loaded five rounds of wadcutter, took a bead on the X-ring and stroked the trigger and got a 10 at 9 o'clock, repeated that four times with the same result. I was perplexed - with the stock Uncle Mike's boot grips they impacted about the same place for windage but a few inches high. Another cylinder-full gave the same result. Five rounds of WWB 125-grain +P JHPs landed pretty much on for elevation but also a bit left on windage. A cylinder-full of 158 RNL (840 fps from a 4", my old IDPA SSR load) landed right on top of the wadcutter holes rather than a couple of inches above them.

I installed the Hogue grips and repeated the trial, the same story. Having more real estate to hang onto seems to have mostly evened out the widely different POIs. Having more trigger reach isn't hurting, either.

The target frame I was using had a full-size photographic target of a bad guy with a gun left over from the last shooter to use it, so I worked on controlled pairs and failure drills. COM and headshots weren't hard, but it was easy to see which shots went off with misaligned sights. I also found that shooting at a faster pace yielded more-centered hits for windage than slow fire.

I'm probably going to stick with the Taurus grips for the time being. I didn't find the additional length of the Hogues to be that helpful and they do stick out more. Next time I'll move the target back to seven yards and see what that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Burch View Post
    1) get the biggest grips that you can still conceal. While it is nice to go with boot grips and things like that for concealment, they detract from your ability to actually shoot the handgun.
    I think the ability to shoot the J goes way up quick with just a little more. And I kinda collected the whole set from Altamont (their pictures):
    Name:  AG.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  77.6 KB
    I got the biggest ones on a 360PD and they are pretty nice, and cover the backstrap, but a little big AIWB in the Harry's or the DSG.
    The boots are nice grips and they are on my 638, just in case I actually ever want to put something in a pocket (unlikely).
    I have the square conversions on my 637 just because I think they are neat, and they still are controllable and concealable. And I got a matching set on my Dad's 60 (no dash).
    I think Goldilocks might be the banana version, and they are on the 340. The 340 might be Goldilocks too

ETA, part of the reason I ended up with the variety is that they are, IMO, a bargain. The smooth banana grips are only $35. I think I might have ended up with an extra set of the boot grips that I should probably sell before I buy another gun for them...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 11-13-2019 at 06:51 PM.

Site Supporter
    @mmc45414 - How do you find the Bataleur grips for concealability and speedloader use? I'm looking really hard at them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think the ability to shoot the J goes way up quick with just a little more. And I kinda collected the whole set from Altamont (their pictures):
    Name:  AG.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  77.6 KB
    I got the biggest ones on a 360PD and they are pretty nice, and cover the backstrap, but a little big AIWB in the Harry's or the DSG.
    The boots are nice grips and they are on my 638, just in case I actually ever want to put something in a pocket (unlikely).
    I have the square conversions on my 637 just because I think they are neat, and they still are controllable and concealable. And I got a matching set on my Dad's 60 (no dash).
    I think Goldilocks might be the banana version, and they are on the 340. The 340 might be Goldilocks too

ETA, part of the reason I ended up with the variety is that they are, IMO, a bargain. The smooth banana grips are only $35. I think I might have ended up with an extra set of the boot grips that I should probably sell before I buy another gun for them...
    I bought a bike trailer full of gun/ammo/reloading stuff from an estate back in September.
    There were two large ziplock bags full of revolver grips/stocks.
    This pair briefly ended up on my 442.
    They pocket carry really well and fit well in my hand.
    On range day, they started hurting the base of my thumb after about fifteen rounds of 110 grain +P handloads that came from the estate.
    A set of Uncle Mike’s boot grips went back on and the wood ones will go on my ‘70s M60.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by deputyG23; 11-14-2019 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    @mmc45414 - How do you find the Bataleur grips for concealability and speedloader use? I'm looking really hard at them.
    IWB they are really, IMO, quite concealable because of their shape. Maybe not quite as well with the banana style but that might have a bit to do with the shape of my soft middle parts and the clothes I tend to wear when I am using them. If you are hiding the gun you can probably hide the grip, and they make a big difference shooting, and, during presentation. Those little boot grips are not much to grab onto in a hurry.

Speedloaders, maybe would present a little interference, I dunno because I tend to rely more on the speed strips. But if you get the smooth ones they are finished in a manner that makes them look like they would be slick like snot on a doorknob, but they really are not, and would be fairly easy to feather a bit and re-polish. They will not be confused with an RTF Glock or an M&P 2.0, but they look like they would be slimly and they are not. I will try and remember to check when I have access to them in a couple days.

User Tag List