Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with a Couple of J Frame Shooting Issues

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    And of course, they're out of stock. The story of my life. Taurus 85 grips were recommended in another thread, but apparently they're out of production though still available on flea bay.
    Looks like the Taurus boot grips are still available:

https://www.shoptaurus.com/revolver-...r-grip-5-20880

Not that I took it all the way through to an order...

I've tried multiple grips on my j frames and the Taurus are simply the best plus very cheap. They do have a metal plate. To install you'd need to either remove the grip pin from your J or else drill an appropriate hole in the grips.

All that said, I still sometimes get cut / rubbed by the cylinder release with full power loads in an air weight with a thumbs forward grip. I usually go for a thumbs wrap grip on the j accordingly. Of course depending what else you shoot could lead to bad habits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I had to modify mine with a Dremel before they worked correctly with Safariland Comp I. I don't remember if I tried any other brand.
    I didn't have to take too much off.
    Name:  IMG_4433.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  37.7 KB

Get the web of your hand all the way to the top of the backstrap, or even over the hump. If you get up there, and your hands are strong, you'll have about zero muzzle climb even with +P; it will recoil straight back into the web. This hurts more, but you can turn in some very fast splits.

Bag to the rotation issue... at least with boot grips, I have found that your pinky plays an active roll in keeping the gun anchored in the web of your hand. Much like the SA competitive shooters do.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

50 careful dry fires with 100% sight alignment through the trigger pull every night
    Last edited by Baldanders; 10-30-2019 at 11:15 PM.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Baldanders View Post
    50 careful dry fires with 100% sight alignment through the trigger pull every night
    How will that help with recoil management? I'm a huge fan of dry fire, but it's biggest shortcoming is that it doesn't really do anything for helping to control recoil, especially in sharp little guns like a j-frame.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Looks like the Taurus boot grips are still available:

https://www.shoptaurus.com/revolver-...r-grip-5-20880
    Thanks! I ordered a set. Somewhere in my five-gallon bucket of .38 brass I have some S&W cases. I'm going to cut a couple off and see if I can stick the case heads where the "Taurus" insignia is.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    Thanks! I ordered a set. Somewhere in my five-gallon bucket of .38 brass I have some S&W cases. I'm going to cut a couple off and see if I can stick the case heads where the "Taurus" insignia is.
    38 case heads fit just fine. I think I used 5 minute epoxy. Cutting the heads off was the biggest PITA.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

After putting a lot of time into running my snubs, and getting help from SMEs like Chuck Haggard, Darryl Bolks, Wayne Dobbs, Hany Mahmoud and others over the past few years, the two major tweaks I made to my snub shooting were:

1) get the biggest grips that you can still conceal. While it is nice to go with boot grips and things like that for concealment, they detract from your ability to actually shoot the handgun. The recent Revolver Round Up gave me the chance to shoot a ton of different grips because at events like that, people are enthusiasts and love to loan out gear so others can see different things. The major conclusion I took away is that I prefer wood grips, and I need to get some purchase of my pinky somewhere on the grip, even if it is just a tiny shelf. So I don't want a big grip, but I want "enough".

2) A trick that Chuck Haggard showed was wrapping your support thumb over the base of the strong hand thumb. This gives you a much greater lockdown on your control and helps you run the gun for continuous shots.
    For info about training or to contact me:
    Immediate Action Combatives

Site Supporter
    @Cecil Burch - I guess finding one's "enough" is the hard part. I've got a pair of the Taurus grips on the way and have my eye on a couple of different Altamont grips, might even go semi-old school and see if I can find some Pachmayr's. I'm really enjoying the gun, it's the most fun I've had in a while.

User Tag List