Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: IS Leader al-Baghdadi Killed in US Raid

Site Supporter
    One thing that surprises me is that I read almost no criticism of the Muslim world view toward females. Until recently I had a friendship with a Muslim guy from a tribal region of Pakistan. At age 12 he volunteered to join Afghanistan forces and fought the Russians. In our discussions he defended this world view of women over and over. I told him that he was full of shit. We are no longer friends.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    You keep saying that. And it isn't true. I don't know what else to tell you, besides to read and study the 5 pillars of Islam.

The overwhelming evidence that suggests the contrary point of view is that there are some 1.9 billion Muslims in the world. If they were all dedicated to dominating the world and destroying all religions, they would be very effective in doing so, since the only religious group that is bigger is the 2.4 billion Christians. Some Muslim sects do have the 6th pillar of jihad, but jihad literally translates into "struggle" - which could be either a military or non-military context. Just because some individuals suggest that jihad in the form of military acts against others is the "right" form of jihad, doesn't mean that a whole religion advocates that.
    My point of view is fairly irrelevant. The truth about Islam isn't really open for much debate by those who are informed. What you have noted above is the difference between something that is true - and the truth.
    The only thing worse than arrogance is false humility.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One thing that surprises me is that I read almost no criticism of the Muslim world view toward females. Until recently I had a friendship with a Muslim guy from a tribal region of Pakistan. At age 12 he volunteered to join Afghanistan forces and fought the Russians. In our discussions he defended this world view of women over and over. I told him that he was full of shit. We are no longer friends.
    There is no monolithic "worldview" and you aren't looking in the right places. It's an ongoing debate. Witness Saudi Arabia changing rules. They didn't just flip a coin and decide to let women drive, etc.

The whole "they hate us for our freedoms" isn't entirely untrue. Western culture is infiltrating, and as always urban areas first, backwaters last. Hell, I saw people walking pet dogs in Jordan last time I was there. That would be like keeping cows in your house the first time I was there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Hell yeah. This is the only way to win against this insurgency. I can never take POTUS seriously when I hear him speak, but he made ISIS guy sound like a complete bitch. And apparently we killed their head press guy the following day? That’s a mic drop that we haven’t done in a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dunno about you, but I'd enjoy a few more MOAB drops on the appropriate people/places/things.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    My point of view is fairly irrelevant. The truth about Islam isn't really open for much debate by those who are informed. What you have noted above is the difference between something that is true - and the truth.
    I'm both informed and experienced, and I disagree. I've had the debate here before and don't feel like rehashing it, though you are free to search those out. You are, of course, also free to assume I'm ignorant or deluded as you see fit.

BBI... so in other words, much like there is Catholic-lite, Jewish-in-name-only, there's Muslims that don't want to blow everyone up. I can believe that the militant arm(s) of Islam is(are) really a tiny portion of the total population.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    BBI... so in other words, much like there is Catholic-lite, Jewish-in-name-only, there's Muslims that don't want to blow everyone up. I can believe that the militant arm(s) of Islam is(are) really a tiny portion of the total population.

I would say the Muslim-in-name-only is the one who's willing to kill non-combatants (specifically forbidden), kill themselves in suicide attacks (specifically forbidden), convert by force (specifically forbidden), etc. and definitely make up a small minority. Read up on who's recruited in Europe and the like and you'll find they recruit from the same pool as street gangs do, and for the same reasons. The ignorant and vulnerable are much easier to convince then the learned who have a place in the world.

Even most of the "religious wars" were territorial/empire building wars. Nobody phrases the US expansion into Indian territory as a religious war. It's a fact that it was a majority Christian force pushing a majority non-Christian population out and that the US gov't forced Indian children into Christian schools, etc. We all get that wasn't the underlying reason for the war and that even if religion played a role, that conflict would have inevitably occurred anyway as the US expanded. Empire building is what the gov't of the world have been about throughout the majority of recorded history. If you want to find Muslim V Christian, you'll have no trouble finding it. Nor will you have any trouble finding Muslim V Muslim, Christian V Christian, Christian V Pagan/Indigenous, Pagan V Pagan, Christian V Athiest, etc. etc. It's easy to build a narrative with bird's eye view facts either way.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I personally believe you are incorrect about this. There are sects within Islam that advocate for lots of different things, not all of them do. Much like all of Christendom doesn't believe or advocate the Westboro Baptist church philosophy.

While I do not have the experience that BBI does, I did seriously consider/investigate conversion while in college and I was fairly serious with an absolutely beautiful and incredibly sweet young lady that almost convinced me to convert, marry her, and move to Malaysia to work for her father's company. To this day I have never met anyone that smiled as beautifully at me as she did.

I spent a lot of time talking with her and her brother about it as all the "dating" that we did was with him as a chaperone.

I can state emphatically that what you state was not their belief system at all.

I believe it was in his book "Peace Kills" that PJ O'Rourke noted that many of the so called religious warriors weren't especially religious. You have Muslims who don't go to mosque fighting Catholics who don't go to mass, and so on.

People like to pick and choose, and most often use religion as a mask and justification for whatever nasty thing they were planning on doing anyway.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    If you want to find Muslim V Christian, you'll have no trouble finding it. Nor will you have any trouble finding Muslim V Muslim, Christian V Christian, Christian V Pagan/Indigenous, Pagan V Pagan, Christian V Athiest, etc. etc.

" La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List