Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: IS Leader al-Baghdadi Killed in US Raid

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    The unconditional mandate of Islam is to dominate the world and we've got 1,400 years of their history as undeniable evidence. What part of that keeps eluding people?
    The mandate of every religion is to dominate the world. Of course , a glass half full view is that many assholes adopt religion as a shortcut to power. It’s way easier to get people to A) give you power and riches if you B) adopt the guise of a religious leader. You don’t have to worry about that pesky re-election ritual either.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

On Point: Al-Baghdadi's Death as Counterterror Information Warfare

Strategy Page: On Point: Al-Baghdadi's Death as Counterterror Information Warfare
    by Austin Bay
    October 30, 2019
    What a shame Washington political and media elites couldn't briefly halt their uncivil domestic political brawl to applaud a victory over the world's most vicious international terrorist organization, the Islamic State group of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS.

A more unified and strategically thoughtful reaction to ISIS commander, mass rapist, savage torturer, mass murderer and slaver Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi's justified slaying would have magnified the effects of the Pentagon's military operation by sending a clear and powerful message with moral weight and what strategists call "deterrence value" to challenge terrorist propaganda appeals.

My obituary sketch of al-Baghdadi's documented atrocities is the spine of the deterrent message. ISIS agitprop internet videos extolled these crimes as proof of the group's invincibility.
    I was going to risk overquoting, but I found myself wanting to copy and paste the entire thing, which is a no-no for a Copyright article, so go RTWT.

(Colonel Bay might not mind if we did, but I'd rather not risk getting P-F in trouble.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

@JRB in here putting mf'ers on notice. Respect...

Also here's a funny meme just because.
    Attachment 44208

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    @JRB in here putting mf'ers on notice. Respect...

Also here's a funny meme just because.
    Attachment 44208
    Name:  8F08A392-EC6C-4542-9BB5-C812511DB785.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  46.3 KB

They don’t hate us for our “ freedoms”.

They hate us for our degeneracy.

Sam Harris has an episode of his podcast in which he read an article from Dabiq magazine entitled “Why we hate you and why we fight you.” I believe he recently rereleased that episode after one of the terror attacks from earlier this year. It’s very informative. I’ll give you a hint, none of the reasons that ISIS hates the US have to do with our politicians using mean language in press conferences.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    They don’t hate us for our “ freedoms”.

They hate us for our degeneracy.
    It can be both, and probably has to be. It's much harder to choose degenerate behavior when you don't have the freedom to have it as an option. Can't drink and drive if you don't have access to a car, after all.

No, I think 'hate us for our freedom' does have some truth. Even if you were to ignore social and political freedom, just our relative economic freedom. One of the most pervasive stereotypes of Americans I ran into is that we're all rich and life here is easy. We have only to stretch out our hand and money is there. I couldn't convince a tow truck driver that I had no pull at the US Embassy, that they wouldn't know me nor care who I was if they did. I was American, therefore rich and therefore connected. It's not hard to see how that's going to turn into envy or hatred in some people's minds when they completely lack economic mobility.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Probably should shut this down right here.

As a civilian, as I clearly stated, I don't have access to the military intelligence that you have. You can't discuss it and I understand. That doesn't help your case however.

I'm basing my comments on the only credible source that I have, General Mattis, the SoD that just resigned from Trump's cabinet.

As a military strategist his resignation speaks volumes to Trump's foreign policy or lack of one.

Trump's cabinet is a revolving door. It's like changing QB's every 3rd game.

A relative of mine was an Army intel analyst for a long time, with CentCom during his last hitch. He didn't want just anyone and everyone knowing what his job was and he sure as hell didn't advertise that on the internet.

Probably not a good idea to bring up your access to military intel on the internet. Doesn't do anyone any good.

So just to make sure I'm tracking 100%;

You assert that killing terrorists does no good - the same asshole terrorists that'd love to cut *your* head off and openly advertise and recruit more asshole terrorists with the promise of attacking Americans.

We discuss that, and you make the point that more will always rise up and the retort is better for them to rise up in fear than in confidence.

Your answer to that is to change the subject and sharpshoot military movement decisons based on what you've seen in news coverage that almost everyone can agree is biased one way or another.

I articulate the very obvious strategic and tactically sound reasoning why we did what we did, and that the person(s) making that call are quite specifically NOT a factor in whether or not those decisions were good or bad.

Your answer to that is to acknowledge that I'm speaking from an informed perspective, but that you don't care about my informed perspective except to sharpshoot me for sharing it as if I'd be the kind of asshole to violate policies or signed NDA's on such things.

You then go on to speak as if SecDef (Ret.) Mattis is a personal source of information for you, and that his very real personality conflict with our current POTUS is the only rationale you need to justify poo-pooing strategic/tactical military decisions being made on the ground right now, as if all of our current Military leadership is aimless and stupid without SecDef Mattis.

So, in summary, Killing terrorists does no good, and everything our Military is currently doing is stupid because our current POTUS annoyed our previous SecDef into retirement, and I'm an idiot for trying to confuse you with the facts, because your cognitive dissonance already made up your mind.

Solid Copy.

Site Supporter
    On Islam, Muslims, etc;

I have been astounded by the generosity and work ethic of many Muslims. Like most folks, they generally want to live their lives in peace and raise their children as they were raised, and be comfortable and happy.

In friendly discussions of such things,I've noticed that the frustration and anger they feel towards assholes twisting their faith into justification for every flavor of despicable shit on this planet is very similar to the anger we feel towards assholes that pick up guns and use them for evil.
    It's so easy to look at it one-dimensionally and blame the gun, and blaming all Muslims for the actions of terrorists is no different than blaming all law-abiding gun owners for the rare violent chicken-shits that shoot up a school.

For the most part, I've found that Muslims are generally decent folks that pray a lot, mind their manners, raise courteous and respectful children, and save all the beer, bacon and bourbon for me.
    Sure, the more old-world side of Islam and the way *they* treat women and kids sometimes raises the hair on the back of my neck, but that side of things is falling out of favor with surprising speed, all things considered.
    Similarly, the behaviors and actions of many fellow gun owners, particularly when it comes to safe handling and appropriate storage practices, etc also can raise the hair on the back of my neck.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't give a crap what clothes you're wearing, what you choose to eat or not eat, where or how or how often you choose to pray, or what songs you want to sing or what sorts of fellowship/worship traditions you choose to follow. I only care about how you treat other people, and specifically, how peacefully and happily you can coexist with people that do all of those things differently from you.

I *DO* give a crap if you want to kill, enslave, rape, or otherwise violate the human rights of anyone based on the above (or any other reason, really); if you deliberately target civilians, hospitals, schools, or any house of worship; or you make a military fortification or insurgent concealment out of schools, hospitals, or houses of worship.
    That is despicable cowardly terrorism and I don't give a fuck *why* you're doing that or to what end; that's the shit that justifies putting a head on a fucking spike.

Focus on the intent, behaviors, and actions; not the demographics. The behaviors and actions can be easily articulated and they justify everything required on their own merit, without the need to even mention demographics of any kind.

I have found that outlook to be of considerable use when trying to discipline Soldiers effectively because it avoids *all* the messiness that can come with discussing flavor, appearance, chromosome pairs, preferred dance partners, etc.

User Tag List