Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Do You Decide What Bullet Weight To Use?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    ...I'd exclude any ammo which is not typically sold to civilians because I sometimes travel to San Francisco where civilians cannot have:

"Ammunition designated by its manufacturer for purchase by law enforcement or military agencies only, unless other ammunition is available to the general public that has physical properties resulting in ballistics performance identical to such ammunition."

PS: Is street cred short for street credibility or street credentials?
    Most of the ammo on Doc's list is available to non-LEOs. To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the HST and GD loads offered to both LE and civilians is the size of the box - 50 for LE and 20 for civilians.

Street cred = street credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the HST and GD loads offered to both LE and civilians is the size of the box - 50 for LE and 20 for civilians.
    Yep, although I haven't yet found the +P variants in civilian packaging. It may be a byproduct of packaging/shipping, but I've also noticed better asthetic quality on the HST 20 round clear plastic civilian boxes (it is rare to find a scratched civilian bullet, but pretty common in the leo 50 round cardboard box).
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 10-26-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    <thread drift>
    FWIW, the HST in my nightstand M&P40 is brass-cased, rather than nickled. I've only seen that in .40.
    </thread drift>

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    When I first started carrying and had to decide what to use, the federal 9bp round got a fair number of kudos from people I believed gave good advice. I understand technology has moved on, and don’t gainsay that or dispute it. I still carry xm9001 (basically a faster 9bp that isn’t as fast as 9bple) and the Speer lawman is extremely similar, recoil, speed and poi wise. I shoot enough that I appreciate the savings between lawman 115 and 124 - about 18 dollars a case. When i shoot up the last of my xm9001 I’ll likely switch to gold dot 115 and call it good enough. I don’t stress overmuch about anything but being accurate and trying to get faster. I know it’s different for others, some of whom are sworn and paid to go into harm’s way. This was just how I got where I’m at, and I’m just an armed citizen.

I’ve tried other weights and find 147 would require significant adaptation on my part, no doubt due to some defect in my technique. Given cost and familiarity I believe I’ll stay with 115.
    Last edited by Medusa; 10-26-2019 at 02:02 PM.

Retired a few years now, so have shot off my stock of gov’t issued 9mm duty ammo that I was able to walk out the door with. Now a box of 9mm comes out of my pocket. Old school when it comes to buying a box of pistol ammo, so I refuse to buy any 20 round boxes off the shelf. Which all lead me to purchase a few boxes of 147 grain JHP, in 50 round boxes, at my local Walmart a few months ago (before the announcement). Glad to report that it functions 100% in my G17; just a couple of inches high POA. PS: For practice ammo, I started reloading 9mm on my Dillion SDB also.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    Ammo weight is not a selection criterion for me.
    This. Sooooooooo many other variables and stuff going on.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

1. Is it Gold Dot or HST?
    2. Is it reliable in my gun?
    3. Is it accurate in my gun?

I only recently added accuracy as a criterion. I thought any Federal or Speer would be accurate enough until I found out they weren't. My Dan Wesson V-Bob hates 115s and loves 147s.
    Real guns have hammers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    This. Sooooooooo many other variables and stuff going on.

So do you just pick whichever weight is on sale?

Can't go wrong with the bullet weight that the cartridge was designed for.

If you want a heavier bullet than 124 why not just move on up to 40 S&W. I'm not a 40 guy but I think I read somewhere that 180 was the original loading.

Problem solved.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    If you want a heavier bullet than 124 why not just move on up to 40 S&W. I'm not a 40 guy but I think I read somewhere that 180 was the original loading.
    I don't necessarily want a heavier bullet. I'm completely content with the 124 Grain Gold Dots based on the recommendation of someone I consider to be an SME.

I just thought there might be some criterion that knowledgeable people used to pick a bullet weight.

User Tag List