Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Decide What Bullet Weight To Use?

Banned

How Do You Decide What Bullet Weight To Use?

That's my question, how do you decide which bullet weight to use?

I've said this before but I settled on Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124 grain +P because I literally sent an email to Kathy Jackson (Cornered Cat) and asked her what she used.

She told me what she used and referred me to Dr. Roberts' list.

Asking her was all the research I did.

So how do you choose? Why would you use a 115 grain over a 124 grain or why would you pick a 147 grain over a 115 grain?
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-26-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Site Supporter
    For me, it's whatever weight shoots to POA in that gun. IME most 9x19s are pretty close with most common bullet weights; with my 67-year-old eyes 115s and 124s hit the same place and 147s are a bit high. I settled on 124s because about 15 years ago there was a bunch of 124-grain +P Gold Dots that came on the market cheap and my CZ-75Bs liked them. I'm currently using 124-grain +P HST for carry ammo and usually get 124-grain hardball for practice or buy 124 FMJ bullets to reload. My M&P40 shoots to POA with 180s and my .45s (M&P, Commander and S&W M22-4) are right on with 230s.

Fixed-sight revolvers are much pickier. My M10s and 681 require 158s, which is why I've stuck with old-school loads (R-P 158-grain LSWC-HP and 158-grain SJHP, respectively) with them. I recently bought a police trade-in 642 and it's REALLY picky; it wants 125-130-grain jacketed ammo, which irritates me because I have almost 3K of 148- and 158-grain lead bullet ammo sitting in ammo cans.

If your gun likes the Gold Dots, stick with them. Don't fix what ain't broke. I'd only switch if there's a POA/POI issue.

Banned
    For what it's worth and I honestly don't know if it changes anything or not but my practice ammunition and my self-defense ammunition are both 124 grain.

124+p Gold Dot. I was traumatized by a retired feeb that was our chief investigator. He claimed 147gr was the proverbial 'Hammer of Thor.' and it was his way or the highway. Moved away from the 9 back to a 45.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    124+p Gold Dot. I was traumatized by a retired feeb that was our chief investigator. He claimed 147gr was the proverbial 'Hammer of Thor.' and it was his way or the highway. Moved away from the 9 back to a 45.
    FWIW THIS is the Hammer Of Thor

1,442,000 grains and very definitely plus P
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-26-2019 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    She told me what she used and referred me to Dr. Roberts' list.
    why would you pick a 147 grain over a 115 grain?
    To me the 147g idea seems wacky, but DrR himself has me on the path of being convinced otherwise, and I just bought some G2 and HST and am screwing around with it to see exactly how far off it may or may not be from the common practice ammo.

I reload, but if you do not sticking closer to all of the commonly available inexpensive practice ammo might be a consideration. My current thinking is the kind of practice I do, I can make sure I am POI with the carry ammo, and if the practice ammo is a little off it will still hit an 8" plate. This is just my rather haphazard way of looking at it, but I am at least convinced enough to be trying the 147 idea.

But, I think once you get into the realm of reasonable with the stuff DrR recommends you might not worry so much more. I am a bit of a gun nerd so I am more intrigued than worried.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^When I was assigned to Ft. Carson (February '75) I ended up in an 8" firing battery. (M110s, the picture above shows M110A1s.) Those guns were crazy accurate and the HE rounds had a 75 meter kill radius. We did direct fire once, shooting at old jeep and 2-1/2 hulks at 1-1.5km distance, and random pieces of vehicle were coming back to the line when we got a direct hit. Seeing them in the snow definitely brings back memories!

As a starting point, I select mid-range weight projectiles. They usually provide a good velocity and energy balance. Then I tweak from there to dial in accuracy for a given firearm.

Cypher, would you please share link to Dr. Roberts' list?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    ^^^^When I was assigned to Ft. Carson (February '75) I ended up in an 8" firing battery. (M110s, the picture above shows M110A1s.) Those guns were crazy accurate and the HE rounds had a 75 meter kill radius. We did direct fire once, shooting at old jeep and 2-1/2 hulks at 1-1.5km distance, and random pieces of vehicle were coming back to the line when we got a direct hit. Seeing them in the snow definitely brings back memories!
    I don't think those are A1s because they've got the muzzle brake on them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    Cypher, would you please share link to Dr. Roberts' list?
    It's right here in the ammunition sub forum

Service Caliber Handgun Duty and Self-Defense Ammo
    Last edited by Cypher; 10-26-2019 at 06:34 AM.

User Tag List