Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karl Sokol and other older smiths - show off thread

Karl Sokol and other older smiths - show off thread

Looking at Tokarov’s browning high power from Karl Sokol, and photos of other guns Karl and older smiths like him have built, sparked an idea to have a dedication thread to the old school smiths and their work.

I will go first...

Caspian frame and slide, mix of Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk and other internals - each selected after considerable consideration for function, aesthetics, etc. Notice that the thumb safety, when engaged, hides the usual hole in the frame that most 1911s display. This is a nighthawk safety that was picked specifically for that reason.

The gun was built with the consideration that gentlemen like Karl won’t be in this craft forever.

Name:  F8522B23-5535-4BA7-BC78-8A4084C5D7F3.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  70.6 KB

Attachment 44025

Name:  0F609E6F-092B-4B44-8BDD-687E5E7CDF23.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  46.0 KB

Name:  5649B34F-7E74-46D9-A60F-771CD1727A35.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  17.4 KB
    Last edited by Maca; 10-25-2019 at 05:03 PM.

@Maca

Nice looking heater.

I guess I'd better post my Sokol Hi-Power. It is Karl's standard BHP package with the addition of an extended safety. And blued finish vs the Mountain Tuff painted finish.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Most of the custom pistols I've accumulated over the years have been from the older master smiths. The one pistol I regret building was to be done by Phil Jenkins. Phil used to work at King's with Al and Jim Hoag. He agreed to build me a period correct "King's" gun. I spent the better part of a couple years gathering the correct parts. Unfortunately, Phil succumbed to cancer before we could start

Karl Sokol 3” S&W Model 66:

I don't know how close you guys follow these type of auctions, but I've bought a couple nice, vintage pieces this way. This hipower likely fits the spirit of this thread.

https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/Fi...01896#topoflot

Stupid photobucket. I'll try to fix it later....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tokarev; 10-29-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Here's a Colt I had Yost do a 1* build on probably about a dozen years ago.
    the photobucket pic is blurred. do you still have it?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    Most of the custom pistols I've accumulated over the years have been from the older master smiths. The one pistol I regret building was to be done by Phil Jenkins. Phil used to work at King's with Al and Jim Hoag. He agreed to build me a period correct "King's" gun. I spent the better part of a couple years gathering the correct parts. Unfortunately, Phil succumbed to cancer before we could start
    I gave that a "like" not because Mr. Jenkins passed but because of your intentions with that build.

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I don't know how close you guys follow these type of auctions, but I've bought a couple nice, vintage pieces this way. This hipower likely fits the spirit of this thread.

https://cwocauctions.proxibid.com/Fi...01896#topoflot
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...r-abbreviated/

Any more Sokol 1911 pics?

I just picked up a 1911C frame and am looking for inspiration pics.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

User Tag List