Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you stay on a volunteer security team like this?

Would you stay on a volunteer security team like this?

Bottom line up front: Would you stay on a volunteer armed church security team like mine, where the team leaders don't appear to be as educated as I am?

I am very grateful that I can read so much information on this forum about improving my personal defensive capability! I have read and enjoyed this forum for at least a year now. I am mostly just a reader in general, and only add something when I have something to say that I think will help.

My background:
    As far as live formal pistol training after my ccw class, I have taken a Dave Spaulding 1-day class and a Spencer Keepers 1-day class.

I have read pretty much everything I can find available to the public regarding pistol useage over the past 16 years. So I believe I am aware of legal considerations, safety considerations, etc.

Getting to my question:
    I am a member of an armed volunteer church security team. I keep having my conscience nag me that the team's lack of training by knowledgeable people means I should probably not be on the team. They appear to be unreceptive to my input regarding what the team should be encouraged to do to get better. All they seem to be concerned with regarding training is trying to hit a target better. They seem to be unaware of legal, or any other areas related to thinking and judgement about self-defense.

I really want to help the church, but I keep having my conscience nag me that the team's lack of training by knowledgeable people means I should probably not be a part of a team that carries firearms, who in my perception, has very naive leadership. Any other volunteer team would be okay to just barely get by, but being armed with dealdy weapons changes things.

I don't believe the safety team leadership has a great interest in reading/learning about self defense with a firearms, like I do. I don't think they really have read much more than what was in their ccw class.

One other issue is that the church safety team will have a live-fire training session in a couple of days (they try to have one yearly at least), and I don't feel comfortable having the leader (whose training only consists of a 2 day James Yeager handgun course... I know what you will say about him, haha) lead what amounts to impersonating an instructor in a basic pistol class, with the team lined up on a firing line taking turns shooting at targets. I don't think he has any business leading that because he has no training in how to run a safe range, he apears to just knows the 4 safety rules, and I think he is very over-confiednt.

Would you please weigh in on what you would do under the circumstances?

I would have big red flags about somebody conducting formal firearms training who isn't trained to do so; and the church should have a problem with it from the liability standpoint alone. Attending such sounds like a, "You should've known better" moment after somebody ends up getting hurt.

You could always show up, voice your concerns if you see anything unsafe, and extract yourself from the class.

Are you tied to that church? Can you go elsewhere? Can you make the church leadership aware of the safety and liability issues present?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

It's easier to effect change from within.
    If you stay you can be persuasive by your conduct and competency, modeling the standard.
    You can do you.

Or you can walk away, to whatever that accomplishes for you.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex8056 View Post
    Bottom line up front: Would you stay on a volunteer armed church security team
    no

The less time you spend around volunteer armed security teams, the better off you're probably going to be.

Nope.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If the voice in your head is telling you to eject, you already know the right answer.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

No. There are times to stay and try to affect change; there are times when putting your hands on a situation is merely making sure your fingerprints are on the impending disaster.

I wouldn't continue a relationship with a group like that. Supporting the church is great, but your safety and legal liability take priority over trying to "lead" folks who don't want to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    I wouldn't continue a relationship with a group like that. Supporting the church is great, but your safety and legal liability take priority over trying to "lead" folks who don't want to listen.
    Much wisdom here. It took me time and pain to learn what Psalms is offering for free.

Congratulations on getting good training. You obviously did your homework. Unfortunately it sounds like you were the only one.

User Tag List