Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping a in a major tournament

Helping in a major tournament

Question for you gentlemen (and I use the term loosely),

To those who have helped in a major shooting competition, how much effort does that entail.

I am a bit of an old fart, but wondering if I wanted to help with a major tournament, how much work that is. I SO a lot for local matches and would like to help with a major regional match in driving distance in the spring, but am not sure what the physical requirements are.

Translation, interested in helping but worried about being more of a hindrance than help.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 10-25-2019 at 02:11 PM.

It kind of depends on what your role will be. It will be long days on your feet. What is your physical condition? Any health issues? I've been co match director for some state IDPA matches.

If I was SO/ROing, I brought my own pop up for shade, lawn chairs marked for RO's only, and a cooler with food and water. Some MD's will take good care of their people and some not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    It kind of depends on what your role will be. It will be long days on your feet. What is your physical condition? Any health issues? I've been co match director for some state IDPA matches.

If I was SO/ROing, I brought my own pop up for shade, lawn chairs marked for RO's only, and a cooler with food and water. Some MD's will take good care of their people and some not so much.
    Physical condition: fair to midlin as the dad would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Physical condition: fair to midlin as the dad would say.
    OK, that's a good start.

USPSA/IDPA or something else? Will you be designing a stage or have to work whatever they give you? Is this a club where you already know the people?

It will be long days on your feet. Some stages are easier to run than others. That's why I liked to design my own stages around both being fun to shoot and easy to administer.

If you're fair to midlin you should do OK.

OK, that's a good start.

USPSA/IDPA or something else? Will you be designing a stage or have to work whatever they give you? Is this a club where you already know the people?

It will be long days on your feet. Some stages are easier to run than others. That's why I liked to design my own stages around both being fun to shoot and easy to administer.

If you're fair to midlin you should do OK.
    Higher Tier IDPA match. They were asking for volunteers. Although I am an SO I thought they would likely need more general help.
    Its not my area (same state, but this is a Gulf Coast area vs. Central Texas), so I would not know the people running it overall. It would be good experience as our local club just moved to a location that is interested in started mid tier sanctioned matches.

I was literally asking around before I replied to them so I wouldn't waste their time.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 10-25-2019 at 03:03 PM.

If you've got the time, go for it. Lots of other old farts in IDPA.

I always liked to study the stage ahead of time to determine what penalties might be applicable to that stage. I hate surprises.

If you've got the time, go for it. Lots of other old farts in IDPA.

I always liked to study the stage ahead of time to determine what penalties might be applicable to that stage. I hate surprises.
    Thank you for your advice.

Site Supporter
    I did a GSSF match and got a neat range officer hat, shirt and Glock knife.

Majors usually have three types of jobs, stage workers, range crew, stats. The stage workers are expected to be active all day and hustle a little bit, everybody has to pull their weight. How intense that is depends on the complexity of the stage and how large your crew is, usually 4 people. The range crew rides around and fixes things or brings supplies to the stages. The stats crew sits some place and works with the scoring software and provides assistance that anyone needs with respect to the administration of the match, they are often busiest at the beginning and the end, in the old days that was labor intensive deskwork you needed lots of help for when all scoring was done on paper.

As stated, just depends on your job. Let the match director know if you have physical limitations and they will find the right place for you. I have never worked a major match where we had too much help, ever.

If you make your (physical limitation) concerns clear to the match director, he/she can take that into account when choosing a role for you to play. Somebody has to drive the cart to distribute the water, somebody has to chauffeur the Area Coordinator around, and somebody has to operate the chronograph. There is a job for anyone, so long as the person possesses the right attitude.

Be that person. Apply!

User Tag List