Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Booby trapping campaign signs

Site Supporter
    Am I the only one who has been reading the threat title to describe "campaign signs that trap boobies"? Or is it just me who has the unrestrained inner 13yo?

As for the OP, game cameras. Get several cheap ones and set them up all around.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Am I the only one who has been reading the threat title to describe "campaign signs that trap boobies"? Or is it just me who has the unrestrained inner 13yo?

Chris
    HEHEhehe...he said boobies

Replies my unrestrained inner 13 yo ;D

A trail camera is a good idea, but you may not be prepared for what it tells you.

I was living in NY in 2013, and was member of a forum dedicated to shooting in the state. A member there has a similar problem, and set a camera. The ones removing the sign were the local police department. I'm not sure it was ever clear if they were ordered to, or the reasoning. But they broke the sign and took it. In uniform. On Duty. Some court stuff was created, but I think it just kinda faded out because the pro 2A lawyer wound up busy with the safe act.

I apologize about a link to TTAG but it seems they are the only website that still has the photos up. I remember this hit national news with the forum member being interviewed on Fox and Friends, Glen Beck, and some of the other talking heads. He managed to spin it into a pretty good rally for the 2A and raised some awareness.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/so...peal-safe-act/

If you find yourself in a similar position, where whats happening with your sign could be important to the 2A (even if only in your local community) then juvenile pranks would only hurt your cause. It's probably not your local PD. But it could be someone else important that has an antigun stance. And it may be important to put whats happening on display. That isn't going to have good optics if they end up covered in paint, or some other prank.

-Cory

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I was living in NY in 2013, and was member of a forum dedicated to shooting in the state. A member there has a similar problem, and set a camera. The ones removing the sign were the local police department. I'm not sure it was ever clear if they were ordered to, or the reasoning. But they broke the sign and took it.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lebre/2873727/

Town Supervisor Mary Beth Murphy said the dispute is over zoning...town removed the placard because it violates a local ordinance that prohibits signs within the town's right of way.
    "I put it up..."Gibson wrote on the pro-gun forum NYFirearms.com. "I got a letter for being in violation of a town code."

He said he told the town he'd fight the violation in court. He kept the sign up, then said a neighbor "cried again." Police said they received a couple of calls from a neighbor, who complained about the sign and also claimed Gibson was hostile toward her.
    Murphy contends the town has control of the right of way, which extends approximately 15 feet into the yard. She said police removed Gibson's signs twice but she doesn't know who may have taken the signs the other two times. The signs taken by the town weren't destroyed, and Gibson can come pick them up if he wants, she added.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

How about an array of Trump signs all lined up near the road. A very tempting target for an incensed liberal to drive over with the addition of 'something special'.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Silver anti-seize on the parts they may grab. It sticks to their hands and gets everywhere.
    Good idea! That stuff will be on everything they own within a few minutes. A gift that keeps on giving...

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I didn't know there was more about it out there. Good find. It definitely has a slant, but gives more information. I know the guy was specifically told zoning was not an issue, and it didn't become one until after he had photos of the local PD. At which point that suddenly became the reason for removal. I know that for a FACT. My point wasn't to be anti-cop though. I both admire and respect the decent people in law enforcement. My point was if missing signs somehow becomes a bigger issue, then pranks will only create problems. In fact, they could become a problem even if it isn't a bigger issue at play.

-Cory

Mantraps are illegal.
    I don't know whether glue, grease, stain, skunk etc would count as being harmful enough to comprise a mantrap but I would not want to test it if I had the only sign for one candidate in the precinct.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Am I the only one that thinks simple these days?

Those signs are corrugated plastic, right? Fill the bottoms of the tubes with some glue/silicone/whatever and then fill the tubes with glitter. Use the fishing line to make sure it’s mobile with some slack. Thief grabs sign turns to run, line slacks out, BAM glitter explodes everywhere on them.

Want to be really simple, get signs with no stakes, and use splintery wood to put them in the ground.

User Tag List