Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hell of a TQ use story in today's local paper

Thanks for the link @Nephrology. I've done business with Chinook Med for a long, long time. Great folks! I'll get my boss to order one today for a T&E.

BBL... I/we teach the "High & Tight" technique. Single long bone to compress against. I teach the : "TQ the Limbs - Pack the Junction - Seal the Box" concept. The words were probably stolen from Dark Angel or someone (and Thanks to whoever said the words), but the concept is a simple memory algorithm to remember when a bit stressed out...
    If we're applying the TQ in the ER, we usually have multiple issues to address (last weekend it was TQ application and a chest tube for a hemo-pneumo and a Massive Transfusion Protocol on the 2 GSW's that can by POV, within 10 minutes of each other). Our Medics use the same philosophy for all the reasons you mention. Nephrology makes very valid points and I respect and appreciate them.

I'd love to take a Dark Angel class @scjbash! Pressure points can certainly work, but it's situational and tiring IME... I've seen providers (EMTs/Nurses/Techs) loosen and "readjust" their grips and spray blood everywhere, but it's one of the techniques I was taught over 45 years ago and definitely has it's place.

Great info folks!

@Nephrology and I spoke about ped sized tq's at length and we ended up not being able to correctly apply the cat to ped sizes. The RMT ped version works extremely well for ped bleeds. The issue to remember with instructors or whoever teaches TQ application either doesn't know that there are different types of TQs available or they are directly associated with a specific type of TQ and directly make money from selling a specific TQ. Something to consider when hearing info on TQs.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thanks for the link @Nephrology. I've done business with Chinook Med for a long, long time. Great folks! I'll get my boss to order one today for a T&E.

I'd suggest buying it from here if you haven't ordered yet. Would rather VDM get your business than Chinook

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    @Nephrology and I spoke about ped sized tq's at length and we ended up not being able to correctly apply the cat to ped sizes. The RMT ped version works extremely well for ped bleeds. The issue to remember with instructors or whoever teaches TQ application either doesn't know that there are different types of TQs available or they are directly associated with a specific type of TQ and directly make money from selling a specific TQ. Something to consider when hearing info on TQs.
    Sort of like how your business only sells the RMT, and everything else is garbage.

lulz.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I'm quite certain Dark Angel's chief instructor is aware of the other options, and I'd bet my paycheck that he's not pushing inferior equipment so that the company he works for can make a buck selling a CAT. If so he's pretty a shitty salesman considering he gave the class a list of other reputable CAT dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sort of like how your business only sells the RMT, and everything else is garbage.

lulz.
    Not knowing how a business reaches a conclusion to sell a product may get you assuming things which aren't true or accurate.

I tested and trained with the RMT well before considering having a financial stake in it. This happened to be around the time I broke two sof-t wides in real world applications. Before that I broke CATs in similar circumstances. So looking for a better, more training focused TQ was something I was actively seeking with absolutely zero financial interest in mind.

I'm in no way immune from criticism, but knowing the facts is usually the best way to form an opinion. As I've stated on numerous occasions, the moment a better product comes out I'll use that, and if I can have a financial benefit in it, cool. If I can't, that won't mean in any way, shape or form that I wont recommend it. Which, happens to be the issue that I brought up with some current instructors and companies.
    VDMSR.com
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

You personally broke two SOFT-TW tourniquets?

That's amazing. That's two more than my agency has broke, and we have more applications with the SOFT-TW than anyone outside JSOC.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I'm quite certain Dark Angel's chief instructor is aware of the other options, and I'd bet my paycheck that he's not pushing inferior equipment so that the company he works for can make a buck selling a CAT. If so he's pretty a shitty salesman considering he gave the class a list of other reputable CAT dealers.
    I make no conclusions in any way shape or form to anyone else's character on this topic. I stated "...either doesn't know that there are different types of TQs available or they are directly associated with a specific type of TQ and directly make money from selling a specific TQ."

TQs are like a cult often times and the hardcore medical guys go out of their way to make every reason they believe known that a particular TQ is better than others. Even when one is clearly better than another. I brought up the logical consideration of financial motivations.

I want the best possible TQ for the best possible purpose. That's the RMT by a very wide margin, based on personal experience, various MIL studies, CoTCCC and other variables. The moment there is a better TQ available I'll move right over to that once I do my own testing. That's how this works, financials don't play a role.
    VDMSR.com

What are the various military studies saying that the RMT is the best tourniquet by a wide margin?

FWIW, we tested them and nixed them, along with the TMT and SAM TQ. Our supply line remains the SOFT-W when available, with a preference for the older SOFT-TW over the newer ones, and Gen 7 CATs when the supply line runs low.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    You personally broke two SOFT-TW tourniquets?

That's amazing. That's two more than my agency has broke, and we have more applications with the SOFT-TW than anyone outside JSOC.
    ...and I've documented it, sending both back to tacmed. Without a single response.

I don't care who has done what with whatever, that's what happened. Don't particularly care what anyone thinks about it. I found a better product that won't experience the same issues. Problem solved.
    VDMSR.com

User Tag List