Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaboom!

Kaboom!

This thread is about being more careful than you think you need to be.

I had my first-ever major reloading accident yesterday. In the middle of shooting a string of a fast high-round-count drill called Designated Target, my Shadow2 went Kaboom! I got a gas-blast in the face, and a couple of streaks of black on my hands--no injuries. The gun is also undamaged, except for a slightly bent slide stop, which is easily replaced. After 100's of thousands of safely loaded rounds, one bad one got past me.

What happened? My best explanation is a partial double-charge. I have been shooting 30-40k of 9mm per year, and this is the first time my QC has failed. I think know why it happened. I recently added a separate crimp station, which required taking out my RCBS Lockout Die, a mechanical sensor for powder level. A full double-charge (7.8gr) of PrimaV will just barely fit in a 9mm case, but the bullet won't seat, so I thought I was safe. Obviously that was wrong. My best guess is that somehow two unusually small charges dropped one after the other when I cleared a jam, and I didn't notice it. My Lockout die is now re-installed and tested. The separate crimp station isn't that important.

Take-home messages:
    1. Rare events become exponentially more likely when the numbers get really large.
    2. Safety procedures are best when they don't rely on human perception.
    3. CZ Shadow2s are tough. A polymer gun, or a less overbuilt gun would almost certainly have been destroyed. Also the small, right facing ejection port probably saved me from a facefull of burning powder and metal fragments.
    4. ??? what would you add?

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-24-2019 at 09:35 AM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    As someone who had a double charge event while attending Gunsite in 2007. I concur with all your points.

I would add-the wearing of quality eye protection while shooting. My circa 2007 Oakley M-Frames certainly saved me a trip to the ER bare minimum. I now only wear and would only wear something off of the army approved eyo pro list

https://www.peosoldier.army.mil/equipment/eyewear/

I have been using the ESS Crossbow/Crossblade system with great success.
    Last edited by vcdgrips; 10-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.

@vcdgrips, spot on. The first thing I thought when it happened was that I was glad I was wearing my Oakley SI Speed Jackets with ballistic lenses.

Speaking of grips, I bet my hands would have been scorched or worse if I was using skeletonized grips like these:

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    3. CZ Shadow2s are tough. A polymer gun, or a less overbuilt gun would almost certainly have been destroyed. Also the small, right facing ejection port probably saved me from a facefull of burning powder and metal fragments.
    We've got a G26 Gen3 in our safe that's had four double charges( I know this because I very carefully loaded them) and a few other stupid things through it. I would carry that gun if I had to

That said another brand of pistol popped on the first one.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

@Clusterfrack, I'm glad you're good. These are scary as F@#$ whether it occurs to you or when you're next to someone on the line or RSO/RO'ing. I am not sure what press you are loading on so it's hard to say what I'd add but maybe look at a new clearance procedure for when mishaps occur. Sounds to me like press came up to fix a possible mishap on a stage during a progressive cycling, (you might have identified and cleared the issues) and then came back down with a partially loaded charge in the chute. I have had this occur on my S1050 which is why I developed my clearance procedure since I am no longer running a powder check die due to the bullet feeder and separate crimp station.

If I have a major stoppage or cannot completely cycle the press for some reason during loading with a S1050, which can happen on occasion. I do the following:

1. Lock back case feed plunger.
    2. Clear all the cases I can by removing locator pin and tabs, with exception of priming station.
    3. Visually inspect and find source of hangup.
    4. Remedy source of hangup.
    5. Hit the ratchet restriction tab that keeps the press from cycling up, cycle press up and then clear the remaining cases from priming station which is now in powder charge station.
    6. After all cases are clear, I check the priming station to ensure it is free and clear.
    7. Dry cycle the press up and down enough to cycle shell plate which I number all the way through at least once.
    8. Remove locking device for case feeder and start over.

Misc: I sort through the cases and components from the screwed up cycle at the end of my session reclaiming powder, loading primed cases etc.

I imagine you have a process like this already, maybe just refine it to your specific needs or press type, if you do not it is the only thing that I can suggest other than dropping the manual powder check station back in. Personally I was sad to lose mine when I put on the Mr. Bullet feeder but can't deny the increase in output. I would really like one extra station on my S1050 because I like a separate crimp station and I get all warm and fuzzy when I have a powder check die installed fat chance of that happening though.

Kaboom!

@Mike C, great advice. I’m on a 1050 also, with Mr. BF. I use a Hornady Taper Crimp searing die that works great. It’s just a bit of a PIA to set up or adjust, which was why I added the crimp die before the accident.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-24-2019 at 11:03 AM.

@Clusterfrack, I've been thinking about buying this so I can put back the powder check die Redding Micro-Adjustable Taper Crimp Die. It looks pretty easy to setup I've seen mostly positive info about them but I am on the fence. Too bad the Hornady micro seating stem doesn't work with the new die/crimp combo. I would ditch the Dillon seating and crimp die for it and gain a spot. Hopefully horned will make one that is compatible at some point.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-24-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    @Clusterfrack, I've been thinking about buying this so I can put back the powder check die Redding Micro-Adjustable Taper Crimp Die. It looks pretty easy to setup I've seen mostly positive info about them but I am on the fence. Too bacd the horned micro seating stem doesn't work with the new die. I would ditch the Dillon seating and crimp die for it.
    I don't think that will work. That looks to be a crimp-only die, not a combination seat/crimp like the one I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Taper...dp/B00VTQ5ZCM/

One thing I really like about this die is the two seating inserts--one for round nose and one for flat nose. The RN insert uses the ogive, and that's yielded better results for me.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-24-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I don't think that will work. That looks to be a crimp-only die, not a combination seat/crimp like the one I use:
    https://www.amazon.com/Hornady-Taper...dp/B00VTQ5ZCM/
    Looks like my reading skills need some work! Good thing I didn't buy one. Don't know that I feel any less stupid though considering I've been search for micro seating and crimp dies with it coming up every damn time and thinking it would work. Thanks for pointing that out. I could've sworn someone else made a combo die that did both.
    Last edited by Mike C; 10-24-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Plus I just saved you $50 . The Hornady die is $28, and that's hard to beat.

User Tag List