Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad basement reload

Bad basement reload

I went and attended the Citizen’s Firearm Safety Course that was put on by the Sheriff’s Office where I live.

During the final group of shooters, a woman with a Ruger LCP (10th Anniversary Edition) first had a significant malfunction that took the range staff 10 minutes to rectify (slide was stuck and they finally closed it with percussive maintenance. After the slide closed one of the deputies fired off the round in to the berm and gave the woman her gun back. On the next shot, this happened:

Name:  CD1A6EF0-D18E-436C-B000-847EEAC057D5.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  50.5 KB
    Name:  82EB5362-4B8E-47F2-B6B7-EA48C9728949.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  30.9 KB

Thankfully she was not seriously injured, just a little scrape on her social finger of her right hand. As the range staff looked over the gun and ammo, the woman revealed the ammo was reloads her husband bought from a friend. So the the round destroyed a practically brand new gun (they had it for a few months but hadn’t shot it yet, and this was the wife’s gun).
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

A bad show, all around. Glad to hear she escaped serious injury.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Every time a husband buys his wife an LCP an angel loses its wings.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Shooting those things injures my hand without even having a kaboom.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Shooting those things injures my hand without even having a kaboom.
    This is true, but I can shoot them well enough and they conceal like nothing else. Plus my two examples have been more reliable than any 380 I have ever tried. Meaning they have never malfunctioned, and all the other ones did.

But yes, they are unpleasant to shoot. Just a good option for when you truly need deep concealment.

So, the gun fails to chamber a round and the range staffs answer is to hammer the action closed and fire it off? Find another class.

"A friends reloads." There you go. Same song, same verse.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 10-25-2019 at 07:55 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I am not a fan of those Little Clown Pistols.

I am glad the lady that was attending the class was OK.

What exactly did the deputy/deputies do prior to the kaboom?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    So, the gun fails to chamber a round and the range staffs answer is to hammer the action closed and fire it off? Find another class.
    Truth be told I don’t know what other option there was. Multiple folks tried to pry the slide rearward from the initial bad chambering. That thing was stuck pretty good. So when they were able to hammer it shut, fired it and it cycled they went back to the shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    What exactly did the deputy/deputies do prior to the kaboom?
    The malfunction immediately preceded this. Nothing else was done prior besides the above.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    This is true, but I can shoot them well enough and they conceal like nothing else. Plus my two examples have been more reliable than any 380 I have ever tried. Meaning they have never malfunctioned, and all the other ones did.

But yes, they are unpleasant to shoot. Just a good option for when you truly need deep concealment.
    Mine actually caused tissue damage on the side of my trigger finger. Led to gnarly infections that I was fighting for about four or five months. Had to delay needed surgery as a result. It's just too dang small for my hands to be able to hang onto.

Plus, it had serious function issues. After awhile, I realized the barrel lockup looked pretty jacked up. Sent it back to Ruger, and they put a whole new top end on it. By which time, I'd figured out I didn't want to fire it again.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Mine actually caused tissue damage on the side of my trigger finger. Led to gnarly infections that I was fighting for about four or five months. Had to delay needed surgery as a result. It's just too dang small for my hands to be able to hang onto.

Plus, it had serious function issues. After awhile, I realized the barrel lockup looked pretty jacked up. Sent it back to Ruger, and they put a whole new top end on it. By which time, I'd figured out I didn't want to fire it again.

Yeah I think I would have made the same decision. Dang dude that is a rough story.

Do you know what generation your LCP was?

User Tag List