Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current AR Hotness

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Bill (of amtacshooting.com) has had his proof16" on his training rifle for...3? (maybe less) or so years now. I shot it last month for distance with some cheapy 55gr, 600yd hits all day. Thing is light AF, makes the gun back heavy. The barrel isn't for dumping mags at cqb distance, its for accuracy with high end rounds. I need to ask him exactly what number of round he is on with it but I am guessing its in the 10k+ range at this point.

I may end up getting one for my next build.
    Find out, CF and camo could look cool.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Find out, CF and camo could look cool.
    He said 10k-15k best guess.

If I was building another 16" (which I'm not) I would buy one, and I heavily considered one for my 10.5" build, but ended up with a heavily discounted rainier arms ultramatch 2
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

If you're wanting uber boutique you can also get CF from Christensen:

https://christensenarms.com/product/...rrel-assembly/

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

My vote is for PROOF.

https://proofresearch.com/barrels/

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    This^^. Proof > Christensen

Site Supporter
    If you want a Noveske or V7 barrel act quickly. I’m fairly sure they made ranker barrels too.

https://www.arbuildjunkie.com/fire-d...px1oBLXjcMWMYc

Fire Destroys Rifle Pac-Nor Barrel Plant

Another vote for Proof here. That's on my next build list too. I'd go for 16" Intermediate gas (or 18" rifle, but you asked about 16") too, but I like my tuned gamer rifles. YMMV

I have been very pleased with Sionics barrels. I bought my first 16" CL light weight mid gas and was impressed enough that I bought a second to replace a Noveske SS LW barrel that wasn't light enough.

Accuracy has been as good as I've ever seen with a chrome lined barrel of any contour and they are the smoothest shooting barrels I've got, which have included Colt, Noveske, Krieger and LaRue. I don't have any pics left since photobucket and then imgur got stupid but I shot 5, 5 shot groups with IMI M193 ammo back to back with an average of just over 1.5", my reloads of 55 gr NBT's went under 1". Good as I can ask for with a chrome lined pencil barrel and a 1-4 scope.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    Another vote for Proof here. That's on my next build list too. I'd go for 16" Intermediate gas (or 18" rifle, but you asked about 16") too, but I like my tuned gamer rifles. YMMV
    The Proof barrels are definitely cool but better suited to bolt guns without a gas port. Accommodating the gas port keeps them from offering any significant weight savings over a hybrid contour stainless barrel. The Proof 16" intermediate gas carbon barrel you mentioned weighs 28oz. For comparison the stainless steel Stretch 16" intermediate gas barrel weighs 28oz. One of my favorite 16" barrels is the Criterion / ADM 4150 chrome lined hybrid contour, it weighs 30oz. Having owned all three of these barrels I can tell you they're all comparable in the accuracy department. I will concede the carbon brings significant cool factor to a build.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ill throw my AR fudd 2 cents in. Colt 20" rifles, exactly correct ports, long barrel life, easy on bolts, less muzzle blasty, shoots like a 22, no messing with various buffers if you use a rifle butt stock and tube. More reliable than carbines of whatever type so far as I know. all Ive read indicates so, and the Colts Ive had have been more functionally reliable than the AKs Ive had and used, even more so than Mauser bolts that Ive had.
    My ex-nuke plant security Colt Sporter Target from the early '90s is very smooth to shoot and easier on the senses blast wise than my 16" Armalite Defender. An A1 fixed stock would make it even better for my short arms.

User Tag List