Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current AR Hotness

Current AR Hotness

What's the word on 5.56 barrels these days? Looking for 5.56 with proper gas port sizing. Bonus points for durability, such as CHF, or accuracy.

Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, Ranier, and many others are talked about, but I've been well served with older Noveske, KAC, DD, and BCM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Hodge, 14.5 or 12.5 which is basically a custom specc'ed FN CHF.

I have a Rainier 1-8 which shoots very well.

I would also check out TriArc track barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What's the word on 5.56 barrels these days? Looking for 5.56 with proper gas port sizing. Bonus points for durability, such as CHF, or accuracy.

Faxon, Ballistic Advantage, Ranier, and many others are talked about, but I've been well served with older Noveske, KAC, DD, and BCM.
    Take a close look at Centurion Arms. The barrels are exactly what your looking for. CHF, proper gas port size, and extremely accurate. Plus Outstanding customer service from Monty and his wife.

https://www.centurionarms.com

Ill throw my AR fudd 2 cents in. Colt 20" rifles, exactly correct ports, long barrel life, easy on bolts, less muzzle blasty, shoots like a 22, no messing with various buffers if you use a rifle butt stock and tube. More reliable than carbines of whatever type so far as I know. all Ive read indicates so, and the Colts Ive had have been more functionally reliable than the AKs Ive had and used, even more so than Mauser bolts that Ive had.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

What length are you looking to get? I’ve been very pleased with the barrels from DSG Arms. I’m also hoping to snag a Triarc barrel one of these days. Their hybrid rifling intrigues me and they have a 13.9” that with a welded muzzle device taking it to 16” OAL has the feel and maneuverability of an SBR without a stamp.

I also built a rifle with a Medcon barrel from Rainier Arms I’m digging. But it’s 416R stainless because I wanted accuracy even at the cost of longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kram View Post
    Take a close look at Centurion Arms. The barrels are exactly what your looking for. CHF, proper gas port size, and extremely accurate. Plus Outstanding customer service from Monty and his wife.

https://www.centurionarms.com
    This. Arguably one of the better barrel options available. And, I believe they are spec'd using the machine gun grade steel.

If you want Hodge a barrel lot just dropped last week. They don’t come around too often, and sell out quickly when they do.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    If you want Hodge a barrel lot just dropped last week. They don’t come around too often, and sell out quickly when they do.
    Where?

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    What length are you looking to get? I’ve been very pleased with the barrels from DSG Arms. I’m also hoping to snag a Triarc barrel one of these days. Their hybrid rifling intrigues me and they have a 13.9” that with a welded muzzle device taking it to 16” OAL has the feel and maneuverability of an SBR without a stamp.

I also built a rifle with a Medcon barrel from Rainier Arms I’m digging. But it’s 416R stainless because I wanted accuracy even at the cost of longevity.
    16" for a 15" rail.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Where?

16" for a 15" rail.
    He doesn’t seek his 16” other than complete guns.

12.5” or 14.5” here:

https://www.optactical.com/hode5nabar.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ill throw my AR fudd 2 cents in. Colt 20" rifles, exactly correct ports, long barrel life, easy on bolts, less muzzle blasty, shoots like a 22, no messing with various buffers if you use a rifle butt stock and tube. More reliable than carbines of whatever type so far as I know. all Ive read indicates so, and the Colts Ive had have been more functionally reliable than the AKs Ive had and used, even more so than Mauser bolts that Ive had.
    20” guns always have longer service life and great reliability. The only problem is it’s a 20” barrel....

“Correct ports” depends on your use. Suppressed ? What ammo are you Shooting ? Etc.

User Tag List