Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Chainsaws

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Why you no Dolmar?
    Dealer support.

If you’ve got a good Dolmar dealer nearby...? Go for it.

However, I’ve given up on being different for the sake of it. Whatever is the go-to saw in your area...go with that one. I like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonsered (based on reputation and that they’re evidently built in the same factory as the Huswvarnas). Not to say nothing else is worth buying, but for reliable use, I’d rather just have something that works.

From what I saw in South America,, Stihl reigns supreme. I don’t care how much I like my Husqvarna saws, but I’m not going to stick with something that’s hard to source parts for, and more and more importantly, dealer support for repairs (what with the newer saws getting that fancy computerized doo-dad stuff).

Did you end up with a Dolmar? Liking it this far?

Stihl. I heat with firewood and thus cut a fair amount of wood. Also live on a farm and that lends itself to saw work too. I'm hard on a saw but do feed it premium fuel and chain oil. Chains are kept sharp, very sharp. I have different size saws depending on what's being cut. If I had to pick a single saw to do it all it would probably be the current version of the MS290 (used to be called farm boss). It pretty good at all tasks. It'll be overkill for some jobs and underkill for others but it'll get the job done. If you're new to chainsaws I would opt for smaller than larger. You can cut fairly big trees with a fairly small saw. Invest in a good chain so you aren't getting worked to death rather let the saw do the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Dealer support.

If you’ve got a good Dolmar dealer nearby...? Go for it.

However, I’ve given up on being different for the sake of it. Whatever is the go-to saw in your area...go with that one. I like Stihl, Husqvarna, and Jonsered (based on reputation and that they’re evidently built in the same factory as the Huswvarnas). Not to say nothing else is worth buying, but for reliable use, I’d rather just have something that works.

From what I saw in South America,, Stihl reigns supreme. I don’t care how much I like my Husqvarna saws, but I’m not going to stick with something that’s hard to source parts for, and more and more importantly, dealer support for repairs (what with the newer saws getting that fancy computerized doo-dad stuff).

Did you end up with a Dolmar? Liking it this far?
    Two of them, love them.
    #RESIST

Saws are regional.

You can buy homeowner grade Huskys and Jonsereds all over in Alaska, but nobody really works on them. We don't work on Huskys, Poulan or Jonsereds (all the same company) anymore. They f'd up their parts supply network so bad that I can't get parts without high minimums and high shipping. We'll work on them if the customer figures out how to get parts, but that's the only way now.

I'm not sure if anyone even sells Dolmar up here. I've seen maybe one of them come through our shop for repair.

There are a bunch of Stihl dealers up here and I'm one of them. Even then the quality of service varies significantly.

Go talk to your local loggers or tree service companies. They will tell you who they like for a dealer.

Thank you all! Very helpful.

Landed on Stihl due to local dealer support.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Thank you all! Very helpful.

Landed on Stihl due to local dealer support.
    We need details.

Name:  mordormeme.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  75.9 KB
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Bought the Stihl MS251. Was a little bit of a toss up between the 251 and the 250. The comfort handle of the 251 was the deciding factor.

I didn’t really set a budget, but described the type of work I will be doing, the frequency, etc. Told the guy that I tend to be a buy once, cry once kind of guy that appreciates value and understands that quality isn’t always cheap.

His advice was that unless I intend to cut all day, every day and consistently very large stuff, the 250 or 251 would be more than capable and should last forever with occasional PM. Got a confirmation from a fellow shopper that is in the tree trimming and removal business, which I appreciated.

Fuel, oil and a spare chain later and I was receiving a tutorial on my purchase!

Again, thanks to all for the advice and experience.

Sounds like your dealer treated you right. A proper Stihl shop will walk you through the saw for operation, maint. and safety. Also sounds like he didn't upsell you into something you didn't need. The 251 is a good saw.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Sounds like your dealer treated you right.
    We just had a smallish tornado hit Dallas. Watching homeowners and "Professionals" there's almost no PPE being used. I've seen two arborist with helmets, chaps, and climbing gear. There a lineman in hardhats by default. The rest are playing it fast and loose with the lives and livelihood. No protection from falling limbs under wind damaged trees and bucking on the ground in a residential area where there are all sorts of kickback hazards.

Stihl's Pro Mark Forestry Helmets and Full Apron Chaps will set you back about $200-220, your dealer might cut you a better deal since you bought the saw. Throw in a good pair of boots and gloves and you're looking at $500ish. PPE won't replace being smart with the saw, or stop all injuries. But a $1500 ER bill for a couple stitches beat a $15000 ER bill for a kickback to the face or thigh.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

A talk on PPE is part of every saw we sell. We sell the basic Woodsman PPE kit of helmet and chaps at cost which is close to $100 if you buy a saw. We have few takers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List