Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Chainsaws

RFI: Chainsaws

Checking the group’s thinking on chainsaws. Won’t be using it daily. Needed to occasionally clear brush and downed trees, some of which might be quite large. I have a preference for gas powered, particularly since I am likely to most need it when the power is out.

Looking for ideas on size, brand, etc...

Thanks!

Here’s a lot of good chainsaw info.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ight=Chainsaws
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Checking the group’s thinking on chainsaws. Won’t be using it daily. Needed to occasionally clear brush and downed trees, some of which might be quite large. I have a preference for gas powered, particularly since I am likely to most need it when the power is out.

Looking for ideas on size, brand, etc...

Thanks!
    Anything by Stihl or Husquvarna. Don't try to cheap out with small engines, you will regret it. Also, get the pre mixed fuel without ethanol for it's food. More expensive, but ethanol can cause problems down the road with small engines. It's also somewhat shelf stable, so you can keep it stored for emergencies.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Here’s a lot of good chainsaw info.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ight=Chainsaws
    Thank you!!!

Long story short, don’t cheap out.

Get a Stihl or Husqvarna.

I’d stay away from the ‘homeowner’ grade saws, too, and get a professional grade saw, from a pro-dealer (not a big box store).

For example, get a 3 or 5-series Husqvarna, rather than the cheaper/heavier 1 and 4-series homeowner/ranch saws. .

The Husqvarna 545 is an excellent sized saw for a lot uses.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...545/966648581/

Site Supporter
    Try to match weight of saw to your physical condition. I know several people with missing fingers from chain saws. I have a friend who got a broken pelvis when a tree fell on him while using a c saw. Only dummies climb ladders and then operate chain saws. Remember to use hearing protection. Draining tank after use and then running saw until carbuerator
    is clear will extend life. Oil chain.

There are different grades of saws from the manufacturers. The brand matters a lot less than the grade of saw, unless you’re selling a used saw. Stihl and Husky dominate the pro market, and there’s a lot of disingenuous info out there pretending that the quality of pro saws has anything to do with lower grade saws from the same manufacturer. Homeowner saws are crap, that includes Stihl and Husky. I’d also consider Echo pro saws (no they are not on on the same level as real pro saws) but they offer a lot of bang for the buck. The CS 590 is a very good saw for the price, if you’re looking for something in that size.

When you’re running your saw you can run all the 89+ E10 gas you want through it. When it’s time to store your saw run it dry, and then Run a couple ounces of ethanol free gas through it. If you’re turning over a decent volume of gas, there’s no reason to jump through hoops to avoid ethanol (based of the assumption that you feel you can trust the gas station to meet the standards listed on the pump, modern EFI cars are very good at handling substandard gas). Start up and run your saw monthly, even if it’s just five minutes.

Edited again. I have a CS590, I don’t think I’d want to clear brush with it. If I had to I could. A little 30cc or electric saw would probably be better.
    Last edited by txdpd; 10-23-2019 at 01:26 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Long story short, don’t cheap out.

Get a Stihl or Husqvarna.

I’d stay away from the ‘homeowner’ grade saws, too, and get a professional grade saw, from a pro-dealer (not a big box store).

For example, get a 3 or 5-series Husqvarna, rather than the cheaper/heavier 1 and 4-series homeowner/ranch saws. .

The Husqvarna 545 is an excellent sized saw for a lot uses.

https://www.husqvarna.com/us/product...545/966648581/
    Why you no Dolmar?
    #RESIST

My company is a Stihl dealer. Homeowner grade and farm/ranch saws from Stihl have been excellent for a long time for occasional use. We have customers that cut 10 cords of firewood a year with an MS250 for years before replacing them.

"Large" is defined differently everywhere in the country. "Large" in my area is 16" wood.. that's considered brush in some parts of the world.

I'll give my generic advice. If your saw is sitting for months between use, and your'e running it for less than a few hours at a time, use the pre-mixed canned fuels like Stihl offers or TruFuel from the box stores. You don't have the ethanol headaches and the fuel is designed to be stored, unlike pump fuel.

Keep a sharp chain. If it's not making chips, get it sharpened or get a new one. A dull chain heats up the saw excessively and isn't safe.

The two things that kill all saws are dull chains and bad fuel.

Finally, safety equipment. A set of saw chaps are $150 for a good set. You can't even get three stitches for $150 and most chainsaw cuts aren't three stitches. Eye and hearing protection as well.

Stihl the end. I have Stihl's over 35 years old and all I changed were chains and spark plugs and bars. But if I were you I'd buy a good used or rebuilt old one off of ebay. The new Stihl much like everything else are not as good as the old. Stihl 038 AV Super, can't kill it.

User Tag List