Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: One handgun, not sure which to choose ....

After years of Gen 5 G17 ownership, a range rental G45 shoots identically accurate with faster return to point of aim for me, and it has the same grip, so I’d buy one of those unless you’re really using that last half inch of barrel for velocity.

Site Supporter
    If it's not for carry, I'd get a G17. The last time I timed myself I was a tiny bit faster with the bigger pistol. However, that difference is probably not really meaningful. If you're stuck with 10 round mags, I'd at least look at a Glock 48.

What capacity mags do you have for your CZ and S&W?

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I have found myself completely locked up and unable to add any comments of value to this thread, and I apologize. The concept of only having one gun is so foreign to me that I can't imagine it.

I'd recommend a Glock G17 for a "one and only" gun, but you'd hardly be going wrong with a G19, G45, G19X, or G48.

An obvious suggestion would be to spend some range time, preferably with each, but at least with a G17 and G19 to find out your preferences between them.

While a G19 and its variants are a bit downsized from the full-size G17, it's actually quite easy to effectively and comfortably carry a G17 concealed, so I'd just go with whichever one you find preferential.

Another consideration might be to check out an HK VP9 and its sub-variants.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    I have found myself completely locked up and unable to add any comments of value to this thread, and I apologize. The concept of only having one gun is so foreign to me that I can't imagine it.
    Same here. That’s why in the little over 3 years of owning a handgun I’ve gone from 1 to 6...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Its hard to say as I'm not sure what's important to you. Magazine availability...glock probably wins; however if I wanted something that would survive forever and not carry concealed I'd go mk23 or full size usp. Even though the usp can be concealed pretty easily.
    Last edited by awdxtc; 10-23-2019 at 06:38 PM.

VP9....VP9SK if your restricted to 10 round magazines. Can convert later to 11, 12 or purchase HK 13 rounders.

I'd suspect that shooting a different gun unconsciously had you focusing more on your fundamentals, and thus your better performance.
    You'd probably see a return to normalcy should you shoot either on a regular basis.

Thus, my advice would be to just stick to what you already have, and shoot them more.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    If you ever have to use your gun to defend your home the police will most likely take that gun and then you will have zero guns. In addition, shooting people sometimes results in the shotee’s friends and or family threatening you and your family’s life.

In my state having knowledge of a credible threat against your life is an affirmative defense against the Misdemeanor charge of illegally carrying a concealed weapon.

I am not advocating breaking the law, but it is good to be knowledgeable of the laws in your state.

That being said, my vote is two guns of the same make, but possibly different sizes so mags and support gear are interchangeable. A full sized M&P core with a red dot would make a nice companion to your compact.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'd suspect that shooting a different gun unconsciously had you focusing more on your fundamentals, and thus your better performance.
    You'd probably see a return to normalcy should you shoot either on a regular basis.

Thus, my advice would be to just stick to what you already have, and shoot them more.
    This. Something is wrong if you found a Glock trigger to be predictable and consistent.

User Tag List