Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One handgun, not sure which to choose ....

One handgun, not sure which to choose ....

For years I've owned two handguns, that I alternate between every range trip (I shoot about once per month). I don't carry, since my state doesn't readily issue permits, so my pistols are for HD and range fun. Lately, I've been shooting a CZ P01 and M&P9 2.0 Compact. I was leaning towards selling the CZ P01 and keeping the M&P as my one gun, until I went to an indoor range and rented a Gen 3 Glock 17 & 19. I shot both Glocks better than the CZ and M&P. This really surprised me since I hadn't put hands on a Glock in ~2 years. This may be in my head, but it seemed like something about the Glock's trigger pull was so predictable and consistent (or maybe it was just me that day?). Now I'm contemplating selling both the CZ and M&P to buy either a Glock 17 or 19. Would love some feedback and opinions on which you would choose if it was to be your only gun?
    Thank you in advance for anyone who provides their feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    .......so my pistols are for HD and range fun.
    Full sized pistol is the way to go with the longer slide and higher capacity magazine.

I was leaning towards selling the CZ P01 and keeping the M&P as my one gun.......
    The old quote of "Two guns equals 1, and one equals none" isn't as relevant today as it was in the past since modern 9mms in particular are must more durable and reliable. However, I still am in favor of at least having a couple of weapons available for a wide variety of possible reasons why one is not enough. Plus, I would not mix a hammer fired action with a striker action unless it is for collecting. Keeping a similar manual of arms will maximize your muscle memory to operate the handgun more quickly and cleanly in a stressful situation.

I don't carry, since my state doesn't readily issue permits...
    Does it have magazine capacity or ammo purchase restrictions?

As far as Glocks go, in general you will operate a single trigger condition firearm like the Glock easier than other systems. I've found that the S&W M&P isn't as accurate in certain 9mm loads and I do not favor the platform. I would also recommend renting a Sig P320 full sized and do a comparison between the Glock and P320. A nice aspect of the P320, especially if you are considering owning only one handgun, is that the P320 can be converted to a smaller gun if you choose to carry the weapon outside of the home.

Site Supporter
    Given the most recent 320 drama unintended discharge issues (and the lack of accessory support relative to Glock), I would strongly consider a gen 5 Glock 19, a quality kydex holster mated to a quality OWB holster, 2000 rounds of ammo and a quality class. I would practice what I learned in class and drive on knowing I solved the hardware solution so I could free my mind to solve the software problems of becoming highly proficient with the platform.

Site Supporter
    Nothing necessarily wrong with the pistols you own now, but based on your situation you have no compelling reason to stay with a compact pistol. If you like the way the Glock shoots, go buy a G17 and be done with it. Two of the same gun would be even better -- if you can't swing it now then plan on adding a second copy down the road.

I don't usually "recommend" guns to people I know nothing anything about but if carrying the pistol wasn't part of the equation, I'd get a long slide gun like a G34 and probably put a RDS on it. My second fiddle would probably be a G17.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Having more than one is wise. Glocks have a good reputation for durability and reliability, as do some other brands, but anything can fail. I had a Glock slide lock spring break 1/3 of the way through an IDPA classifier, sidelining that gun until a new spring could be obtained and installed. Other guns have stopped working at unfortunate times for other reasons. Having only one could mean you have zero at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Nothing necessarily wrong with the pistols you own now, but based on your situation you have no compelling reason to stay with a compact pistol. If you like the way the Glock shoots, go buy a G17 and be done with it. Two of the same gun would be even better -- if you can't swing it now then plan on adding a second copy down the road.
    I agree.

I have a G19 gen5 that I use as a range gun and one of my HD guns.

I am planning on swapping it for a G17 gen5 soon because the longer grip suits me better.

I also like the full size M&Ps for range and HD pistols and I shoot them well.

I am another that believes that more than one is a good idea.
    Last edited by O4L; 10-23-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Without knowing what state you're in, and any relevant magazine restrictions, it's hard to give advice. This is an issue because, GENERALLY, Glock neutered magazines (full capacity mags restricted to 10 rounds) are spotty on reliability, so Glock 19s and larger are hard to recommend for those in capacity limited states.

Having said all that, a larger gun will give better sight radius and less recoil, so bigger is usually better. Having said that, and having owned every size 9mm Glock ever made (less the G48 and G18), I have a very strong preference for the G19. I've owned and shot G34 and G17 pistols pretty extensively, and never found enough (if any) measurable performance increase to make the size increase worth it. I particularly didn't care for the feel of the G34's slide movement in recoil - felt all wrong to me.

So, if you want to go GLOCK, and you can use "real" magazines, I would look hard at a Gen5 G19 MOS. That way when you cave into the pressure here and get a RDS for your pistol, you'll have a factory mounting solution easily available.

There is, of course, the very real possibility that you experienced "new gun syndrome" when you shot the Glocks. This is very common when people get something new, they unconsciously slow things down and are more deliberate in their handling and shooting, with a resultant "false positive" increased accuracy. The only way to know if the GLOCKs are going to "shoot better" for you would be to run them on a timer on some fairly demanding drills, and compare your results to shooting the same drills on a timer to your current pistols.

Just my thoughts, and worth precisely what you paid for them!

One handgun, not sure which to choose ....

The handguns I carry or use for home defense are Glocks and CZs.

There are advantages in using a DA/SA that have been discussed at length here. The DA/SA system takes more time to learn to shoot well. And, Glock is arguably the default choice for most people for most uses.

And, Psalms post above is excellent.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-23-2019 at 10:48 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Without knowing what state you're in, and any relevant magazine restrictions, it's hard to give advice. This is an issue because, GENERALLY, Glock neutered magazines (full capacity mags restricted to 10 rounds) are spotty on reliability, so Glock 19s and larger are hard to recommend for those in capacity limited states.

Having said all that, a larger gun will give better sight radius and less recoil, so bigger is usually better. Having said that, and having owned every size 9mm Glock ever made (less the G48 and G18), I have a very strong preference for the G19. I've owned and shot G34 and G17 pistols pretty extensively, and never found enough (if any) measurable performance increase to make the size increase worth it. I particularly didn't care for the feel of the G34's slide movement in recoil - felt all wrong to me.

So, if you want to go GLOCK, and you can use "real" magazines, I would look hard at a Gen5 G19 MOS. That way when you cave into the pressure here and get a RDS for your pistol, you'll have a factory mounting solution easily available.

There is, of course, the very real possibility that you experienced "new gun syndrome" when you shot the Glocks. This is very common when people get something new, they unconsciously slow things down and are more deliberate in their handling and shooting, with a resultant "false positive" increased accuracy. The only way to know if the GLOCKs are going to "shoot better" for you would be to run them on a timer on some fairly demanding drills, and compare your results to shooting the same drills on a timer to your current pistols.

Just my thoughts, and worth precisely what you paid for them!
    I and others have had pretty good luck with Magpul 10 round magazines. It’s not optimal, but better than the OEM solution currently IMHO.

User Tag List