Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good gun belt.

Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Wasn’t asking you to get scientific, I was just curious if there had to be a special belt with appendix carry in mind, and if that same belt would still work well for other methods of carry.
    In my opinion there most definitely needs to be a very specifically designed belt for AIWB carry which may or may not be also applicable to other carry methods. AIWB is unlike any other carry method so expecting a belt to work for AIWB extremely well and other carry methods at the same time is not logical.

I am in the "specific item that serves a specific purpose" camp on this topic.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    For a traditional gun belt, I have had good luck with Beltman bullhide reinforced belts. I wear one every day, usually a 1.5 inch unit.
    A second. They have very good every day 1.5 in belts that can be used for regular or dress belts. When they get worn I use them as my belts for shooting competitions.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    To echo VM:

Wilderness 5 Stitch Frequent Flyer Belt

The old school/school house solution is still a top choice.
    Infinitely adjustable
    Incredibly Durable
    Made in the USA by good folks
    50ish shipped to your door all day long

https://www.thewilderness.com/belts/...nt-flyer-belt/

Absent carrying a 5 inch all steel 1911, 2 mags, cuffs, flashlight etc. 5 stitch is plenty stiff for IWB/OWB. I actually use my older polymer wilderness FF belts for AIWB as I owned them before I went AIWB and they work fine for me despite being overkill for the application.
    Without the cuffs but with the rest of that load out, my 5 stitch had no problems for years of all steel 5" 1911 carry OWB.

I'd recommend a 5 stitch Wilderness belt without hesitation.
    Last edited by Wondering Beard; 10-23-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Site Supporter
    +1 for Wilderness. They are excellent belts.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

So on that frequent flyer belt, what’s the difference between the 5-stitch and the polymer insert version? I would think stiffer would be better and the polymer insert model is 10 bucks more whereas the 5 stitch is only an extra 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I was just curious if there had to be a special belt with appendix carry in mind
    It doesn't *have* to, but a purpose built belt will almost certainly be better, especially as the gun gets heavier.

On the revolver thread I posted carrying a GP100 MC with both a "standard" reinforced leather belt and a novelty belt buckle vs a reinforced nylon purposefully for AIWB. Both work in that they hold the gun stable. The purpose built one reduces instances of "riding down" while seated while driving, though, and the buckle gives me room for a speedloader that I can't put behind the larger novelty buckle. If I just want to stuck an LCR in my belt, no real difference.

Note the Red Nichols belts I posted would be a terrible idea for AIWB as they taper to be thin up front and have no reinforcement there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    It doesn't *have* to, but a purpose built belt will almost certainly be better, especially as the gun gets heavier.

On the revolver thread I posted carrying a GP100 MC with both a "standard" reinforced leather belt and a novelty belt buckle vs a reinforced nylon purposefully for AIWB. Both work in that they hold the gun stable. The purpose built one reduces instances of "riding down" while seated while driving, though, and the buckle gives me room for a speedloader that I can't put behind the larger novelty buckle. If I just want to stuck an LCR in my belt, no real difference.

Note the Red Nichols belts I posted would be a terrible idea for AIWB as they taper to be thin up front and have no reinforcement there.
    Yeah that makes sense now as I was noticing from the videos I watched about the frequent flyer belt and that Kore X4 belt where the only stiff supportive parts of the belt was from like 2 o’clock to 10 o’clock.

But would it be safe to say that if a belt was made for appendix carry that it would be just as good for your typical IWB/OWB carry at 3/4 o’clock as a belt that wasn’t made for appendix carry? Not that it really matters I guess, just for curiosity sake.

Site Supporter
    The polymer insert is a stiffer belt than the 5 stitch. However, as I and others have said, absent carrying an all steel 5 inch 1911, 2 mags, flashlight etc. one does not need the extra stiffness (at the expense of comfort I would say as someone who has polymer insert FF belts) for your stated needs.

You are overthinking this-buy the 5 stitch FF from Wilderness and move on. Hardware v. Software.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    The polymer insert is a stiffer belt than the 5 stitch. However, as I and others have said, absent carrying an all steel 5 inch 1911, 2 mags, flashlight etc. one does not need the extra stiffness (at the expense of comfort I would say as someone who has polymer insert FF belts) for your stated needs.
    Thank you for clearing that up. I guess I don’t remember if it was said that the polymer version of this belt was stiffer than the 5-stitch and that comfort would begin to be compromised from the extra stiffness.
    You are overthinking this-buy the 5 stitch FF from Wilderness and move on. Hardware v. Software.
    I don’t think I’m overthinking anything. It’s called asking questions and gaining knowledge. There’s a shit-load of gun belts out there and this’ll be my third attempt at hopefully finding the last belt I’ll have to buy..... well, at least until it wears out and I have to buy a new one.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    But would it be safe to say that if a belt was made for appendix carry that it would be just as good for your typical IWB/OWB carry at 3/4 o’clock as a belt that wasn’t made for appendix carry?
    I don't really feel qualified to answer that. I only have one belt specifically made for AIWB, so I don't think I have the knowledge base to categorically say one way or the other. I don't routinely carry AIWB, preferring strong side for most applications.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List