Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good gun belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I've worn the Kore gun belt https://www.koreessentials.com/produ...orced-belt-set for exactly one day. So far, so good. It's plenty stiff to properly support OWB carry of a SIG P365 and spare 12-round magazine. Set up was painless. The ratcheting buckle does not loosen over the course of the day, even when moving rigorously. Materials and construction seem to be good quality. Durability remains to be determined. From the Big Empty, ELN.

I’ve been wearing mine for two months and it’s been just fine the whole time.

But even if this one ever fails, this one isn’t the only brand that uses this same ratcheting design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter

Update after 3 weeks of use

I've been wearing this belt daily for the last 3 weeks. I alternate between a SIG P320 and a SIG P365, always with a spare mag. So far, it has performed very well. The belt is plenty stiff enough for my needs. It does not loosen over the course of the day. My only nitpick is the keeper. It's basically a nylon loop with a velcro backing. The keeper is not attached to the belt. I've found it on the floor a couple of times. At some point I will lose it, to operator error. From the Big Empty, ELN.

I've worn the Kore gun belt https://www.koreessentials.com/produ...orced-belt-set for exactly one day. So far, so good. It's plenty stiff to properly support OWB carry of a SIG P365 and spare 12-round magazine. Set up was painless. The ratcheting buckle does not loosen over the course of the day, even when moving rigorously. Materials and construction seem to be good quality. Durability remains to be determined. From the Big Empty, ELN.

I've been wearing this belt daily for the last 3 weeks. I alternate between a SIG P320 and a SIG P365, always with a spare mag. So far, it has performed very well. The belt is plenty stiff enough for my needs. It does not loosen over the course of the day. My only nitpick is the keeper. It's basically a nylon loop with a velcro backing. The keeper is not attached to the belt. I've found it on the floor a couple of times. At some point I will lose it, to operator error. From the Big Empty, ELN.
    I think I’ve already lost that little keeper on mine. If I was that worried about it, I don’t think it wouldn’t be too terribly hard to replace but I just wear my belt to where the buckle is just to the right of where my pants button together so, that keeps the loose end of the belt secure with the first belt loop to the left.

Just needed to revive this old thread for more input.

Since I’ve succumbed to using suspenders when I’m at work, no matter what belt I try, it always ended up as the same problem- either too tight or when it’s a gun belt, it’s the stiffness that cuts into my gut on the top of the belt and on my lap below the belt along with the tightness needed to hold everything up while being seated all day.

So, one thing that currently works is still wearing my Duluth FireHose cargo pants that have the stretchy waistband and material throughout, with my shirt tucked in and a pair of regular ole suspenders. I can still pocket carry the XDE and I can carry everything else as before- extra mag, pocket knife, wallet, keys but no belt at all. My gut is finally at ease. No more extreme pain at the end of the day.

The lizard tail belt I’ve talked about before in other threads for this setup worked better than any other belt due to the very small buckle but, it presented a new problem of still having to have it so tight to hold everything up for when I got out and the very low profile of a thin, 5/16ths diameter rope puts all that pressure in a very small spot. It doesn’t spread the weight out like anything else so of course, it ended up being a dud as well. Pretty much the conclusion I’ve reached when I’m at work in this truck, carrying in a holster on my right side that requires a gun belt or anything stiff, is out of the question.

But….. I haven’t gotten them yet but I ordered a pair of suspenders that goes underneath your shirt as a no-show from a company called hikers US, that holds your pants up by clipping onto the rearmost belt loop by the small of your back and by looping over the button above your zipper on the front of your pants. All they consist of is just one strap in the front that comes up vertical to about mid-chest and Y’s off into two separate straps that goes over your shoulders then merges back into one vertical strap about middle of the shoulder blades down to the 6 o’clock belt loop.

Being that I can’t outside the waistband carry when I’m at work, I would love to do this on casual time, especially during the winter and not sitting down all day but if there is some sitting involved that could put me back into the situation before, is there a belt that I guess would be not near as stiff that would at least have some give to it for when I sit down that it’s not going to put pressure below the bottom of the belt or on top of the belt? That wilderness belt that has come up many times in this thread; do they make one of those that would not cause this problem while being seated but still be stiff enough to do what a gun belt is supposed to do? I have a casual belt at home that all it is, is just a thin piece of woven nylon that uses a Cobra-style buckle that I found out last weekend was pretty comfortable just holding up a pair of shorts with all the regular items that I pocket carry when I’m on the job but would a belt like that offer enough support to securely hold a pistol to my side? It worked great for pocket carry but as I mentioned when the weather starts getting colder and I can’t wear my shorts, my dress blue jeans don’t have nowhere near the size of pocket to pocket carry so, if I want to carry whenever I go to town, it’s going to have to be outside the waistband and even in that situation that Kore belt and that Volund gear works belt I have is just way too stiff. Which actually, now that I’ll have a pair of suspenders that get worn under my shirt to hold everything up, I shouldn’t have to have either of those belts as tight so I guess once those suspenders come in I could try that and see how it works out but if it doesn’t, what’s a good gun belt that doesn’t rely on stiffness?

Site Supporter
    We are 2 years and 17 pages in. Let's have a reset. This is both for you and for new folks that might be reading this thread for the first time.

Presumptions/Assumptions/Prior Acknowledged Conditions:

a. You drive a truck and are seated for 8+ hrs while doing so absent the occasional break

b. You are 6 ft, at least 280 lbs with a 44 inch belt line

c. 4 belts have been found wanting to date such that you are augmenting with a suspender set up and are still not satisfied

d. The belts to date are too stiff when sitting and/or too tight around the waist be comfortable.

1. What is the daily loadout on the beltline and in the pockets of the pants/shorts when you are carrying your heaviest firearm?

2. What is your present waist size and weight?

3. Why do you think that you cannot conceal a gun on your beltline OWB presuming a purpose built belt/holster match "while you are at work" such that you are pocket carrying 2+lbs of gun?

4. Please add anything you think is pertinent
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    We are 2 years and 17 pages in. Let's have a reset. This is both for you and for new folks that might be reading this thread for the first time.

Presumptions/Assumptions/Prior Acknowledged Conditions:

a. You drive a truck and are seated for 8+ hrs while doing so absent the occasional break

b. You are 6 ft, at least 280 lbs with a 44 inch belt line

c. 4 belts have been found wanting to date such that you are augmenting with a suspender set up and are still not satisfied

d. The belts to date are too stiff when sitting and/or too tight around the waist be comfortable.

1. What is the daily loadout on the beltline and in the pockets of the pants/shorts when you are carrying your heaviest firearm?

2. What is your present waist size and weight?

3. Why do you think that you cannot conceal a gun on your beltline OWB presuming a purpose built belt/holster match "while you are at work" such that you are pocket carrying 2+lbs of gun?

4. Please add anything you think is pertinent
    If I made it sound as though I’m not happy with the suspender setup, that wasn’t intended because I am. As long as I pocket carry, I’m good because I no longer have to rely on a belt to hold my pants up. I don’t care for the look but hey, it works so it is what it is.

The two gun belts I have for holster carry are a little on the stiff side but with the new suspenders, the issues from tightness is no longer a problem but the issue of the stiffness itself is still there even when the belts are used a lot looser than they were before.

Daily load out is what I said earlier, a compact Springfield XDE in a DeSantis Nemesis Ultra Sticky holder with extended magazine, a spare extended magazine with an extended base plate for an extra round, a set of keys, varying pocket knife and a wallet.

Present waist size is 42,43 inches. My Duluth Cargo Firehose pants, the same pair of those in shorts are a 42. I bought two new pair of those cheap Wrangler cargo shorts in a 42 but they are a little baggy but they fit. I also have some regular blue jeans that were bought before the cargo pants/shorts idea but they are a little tight even though they are a 42.

Why do I think that I cannot conceal a gun on my beltline OWB? For casual carry I probably could but since my other set of under-the-shirt suspenders haven’t come in yet, I don’t currently know how that’s going to work out but when they do, as long as I keep sitting down to a minimum, get two or so more pairs of different jeans for casual wear that fit better, I might just be able to make OWB carry work for casual wear.

For work, I just know that when I tried it last week, I didn’t even make it to 10:00 in the morning last Monday before my waistline was so uncomfortable- even with the belt much looser and with the first set of under-shirt suspenders I bought that I ended up returning this past weekend, I had to take the gun, holster and belt off because of the stiffness.

Unless something else can be done, this is why I feel at this point pocket carry is my go to method when at work.

If there’s not another belt that will be less stiff than my volund Gearworks belt or my Kore Essentials belt then that’s fine because as I said above, I think… I may have cansual dress taken care of and if it works, I might even look into getting some button-up short sleeve collared shirts that we talked about a long time ago in a different discussion that should conceal far better than even the longer extra-tall T-shirts I have. I even bought some wife-beater undershirts if it ever got to the point to where the under-spenders just aren’t that comfortable with nothing under them.

Site Supporter
    C

I appreciate you taking the time to respond so quickly and completely.

Your comfort issues re OWB make you such an outlier relative to any number of folks I know who do so on a daily basis being built like you. The vast majority of CCW folks I know and who I have trained with do not have to resort to a suspender system augmenting OWB belt line carry for the loadout you describe regardless of their bottoms worn (pants/cargos/shorts) so long as they had 5-7 proper belt loops, a proper holster and a purpose designed gun belt.

Pocket carry is slow and less secure than OWB unless your hand happens to be on the gun when it is in the pocket such that I am loathe to see one rely on it as a primary method of CCW.

While the Kore belt may or may not have much resale value, the Volund Belt does. If sold, it would likely generate enough money for a different belt with ease.

What I am hearing you say is that you "need" a belt that can support your pants when you pocket carry an even OWB without being so stiff as to "cut" into your gut.

My thoughts are these:

1. Perhaps something from the Mastermind Line (29.99-39.99)

2. Perhaps a 3 stitch (as opposed to a 5 stitch) Wilderness Belt in the 1.25 width v 1.5 or bigger would "cut" less (38.95 in the 3 Stitch version)

3. Easy to say, much tougher to do-less gut means less gut to get "cut". Weight loss is your friend. I say this as someone who could stand to lose some myself.

4. Some level of discomfort with OWB/IWB/AIWB is to be expected when sitting for long periods of time. Many simply get used to it and it becomes a non issue over time. Perhaps the judicious use of an over the counter pain med/pain creme on the affected area might help.

Be safe and well.
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Looking for a good gun belt.

C

Your comfort issues re OWB make you such an outlier relative to any number of folks I know who do so on a daily basis being built like you. The vast majority of CCW folks I know and who I have trained with do not have to resort to a suspender system augmenting OWB belt line carry for the loadout you describe regardless of their bottoms worn (pants/cargos/shorts) so long as they had 5-7 proper belt loops, a proper holster and a purpose designed gun belt.
    So these people you know who don’t have to resort to suspenders- what is their secret to relying solely on a belt that’s not so incredibly tight to hold everything up? How do they do it? Do they have a gut like mine? Do they have not so pronounced hip bones like me? A lot more of a backside than I do? Do they sit all day like I do? All important factors to consider.

Even before the suspenders, I still found myself pulling my jeans/shorts up a lot behind a tight belt for casual wear when sitting for long periods of time wasn’t happening.

All of my pants and shorts have that many or more belt loops but what would you consider a proper holster? I have what I consider a pretty nice leather pancake holster I bought from Beretta’s website that I didn’t think got much better than that. It has a thumb break, looks like it’s made from good leather and it has three belt slots for either the FBI 10° forward cant or for the gun to be carried where the slide is 90° vertical.

I still have that kydex holster I bought from Bare Arms but I’ve pretty much quit using it because it’s uncomfortable. It has a curve molded in it to match the horizontal curve of your waist but being that it has no give, it’s just too uncomfortable. I should have bought a leather one but since I had a laser mounted to the XDE at the time, that was the only holster shop I could find that would make me holster for that gun with a rail-mounted laser.

But look; and I mean absolutely no disrespect at all when I say this but other than the 1.25” width over the 1.5” width, which, I hadn’t thought of but what makes the wilderness belt of any kind so much different and better when, if you just focus on comfort and stiffness from my other two? The Kore belt is actually a little bit thinner than the Volund belt but they’re both pretty stiff. If I had to guess, the Kore is just under a quarter of an inch thick and the Volund belt seems like it’s slightly over a quarter inch thick. It looks and feels like a pretty heavy duty belt.

Does the Wilderness 3 stitch actually have any flex in it?

Pocket carry is slow and less secure than OWB unless your hand happens to be on the gun when it is in the pocket such that I am loathe to see one rely on it as a primary method of CCW.
    I don’t disagree with you at all but, the pockets on my cargo pants and shorts are pretty big. Whenever I walk in somewhere, I usually have my right hand in my pocket anyways.

And no, I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just saying unless I find an alternative, this is it. I have no other choice. At least when I’m in my truck, my XDE is just in my pocket. I keep my full-size PX4 45 in a nylon Gum Creek holster (a much better version of the Walmart Uncle Mikes holster) in a side pocket on my backpack that sits right next to my seat so pretty much when I’m in the truck, my XDE is pretty much non-existent as the Beretta is what I would pull if I feel I might be about to get jacked or treated like Reginald Denny.

3. Easy to say, much tougher to do-less gut means less gut to get "cut". Weight loss is your friend. I say this as someone who could stand to lose some myself.
    Definitely easier said then done and being a truck driver doesn’t help but uh, I like my job.

4. Some level of discomfort with OWB/IWB/AIWB is to be expected when sitting for long periods of time. Many simply get used to it and it becomes a non issue over time. Perhaps the judicious use of an over the counter pain med/pain creme on the affected area might help.

Be safe and well.
    I’ve been trying for as long as when this thread was created and there’s been no getting used to it, even when not even carrying OWB.

I appreciate your help but I just don’t know what’s going to work. At least there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel for casual wear but not so much for work wear.

Last edited by corneileous; 10-12-2021 at 08:00 PM.

C

While the Kore belt may or may not have much resale value, the Volund Belt does. If sold, it would likely generate enough money for a different belt with ease.

What I am hearing you say is that you "need" a belt that can support your pants when you pocket carry an even OWB without being so stiff as to "cut" into your gut.

My thoughts are these:

1. Perhaps something from the Mastermind Line (29.99-39.99)

2. Perhaps a 3 stitch (as opposed to a 5 stitch) Wilderness Belt in the 1.25 width v 1.5 or bigger would "cut" less (38.95 in the 3 Stitch version)

Be safe and well.
    I had to respond to the paragraph that I bolded.

First, my experience mirrors vdcgrips...except for my youngest son. He is in his mid-20's, and a big, baby Huey kind of guy. I, myself, am a short, fat kind of guy, who's been toting a gun for 20+ years.

The difference?
    I have an ass...not a big one, really, but there is enough hip for my belt to catch on so that my pants don't succumb to gravity.

My boy? No ass whatsoever. His torso might as well be an upside down triangle. So, no matter how tight he cranks down his belt, there just isn't anything for it to catch on. As a matter of fact, I recommended Perry suspenders to him, based a lot on what @TGS has posted here. The suspenders help a him a lot. He carries IWB, just for clarity.

I guess my point is that there is a whole lot more to our sizes and shapes than just height/weight ratios....kind of like when we deep dive into "fit" of a handgun. there are a plethora of subtleties that add up to significant issues and/or differences.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I had to respond to the paragraph that I bolded.

First, my experience mirrors vdcgrips...except for my youngest son. He is in his mid-20's, and a big, baby Huey kind of guy. I, myself, am a short, fat kind of guy, who's been toting a gun for 20+ years.

The difference?
    I have an ass...not a big one, really, but there is enough hip for my belt to catch on so that my pants don't succumb to gravity.

My boy? No ass whatsoever. His torso might as well be an upside down triangle. So, no matter how tight he cranks down his belt, there just isn't anything for it to catch on. As a matter of fact, I recommended Perry suspenders to him, based a lot on what @TGS has posted here. The suspenders help a him a lot. He carries IWB, just for clarity.

I guess my point is that there is a whole lot more to our sizes and shapes than just height/weight ratios....kind of like when we deep dive into "fit" of a handgun. there are a plethora of subtleties that add up to significant issues and/or differences.
    Sounds like my problem. Can’t remember the name of it but I even considered this elastic belt thing that had a ridge in it that was supposed to give your belt something to grab hold of but it seemed like too much of a gimmick so I never tried it.

User Tag List