Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 163

Thread: Looking for a good gun belt.

  1. #151
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    IIRC you are 6 footish and 270, 42/44 sized belt.

    My first shooting mentor (DRS/RIP) was 6 footish. When I met him in 1989, he was 250ish. when his diabetes and other stuff kicked up, he went up to 365. When he had gastro surgery, he came down to 200ish and then when his kidneys slowly went, he got down to 165ish which he had not been since he finished Ranger School in the 70's. He was a PITA. I loved him like an uncle. But he could always shoot, any platform, at any weight, and particularly ran a pump shotgun like a house of fire.

    He trained with and carried everything (pistolwise) from 5 inch 1911s, to Hi-Powers, to 3rd Gen S&W pistols, to 4 inch XDs, to a Glock 19 (finally!) mostly in Tier One leather makers of the day to include Kramer, Sparks, Andy Artoonian and Null, mostly OWB.

    His go to belt over his whole shooting life (Multiple Gunsite classes, Multiple Thunder Ranch classes, Multiple Rangemaster classes, Range Officer at IPSC National Matches, Early IDPA matches etc. was a WILDERNESS 5 STITCH BELT. And sometimes, particularly in his bigger days, he used a set of Perry Suspenders too.

    https://www.amazon.com/Perry-Suspend...50733302&psc=1

    For the love of all that is holy, buy a MF 5 STITCH WILDERNESS BELT AND START DOING THE WORK.


    PS-To parphrase Clint Smith- carrying a gun is not always going to be comfortable, but it should be comforting. As sure as the day is long, if you are do-dicking around with off body carry, cargo pant carry, truck magnet carry and back again, it is just a matter of time before you forget the gun in the cab of your truck, or get it taken away from you because somebody sees it and /or sees you moving it around when it should be in a quality OWB holster whose belt loops i.e. 1.5 inches are threaded by a 1.5 inch 5 STITCH WILDERNESS BELT.
    Yes, but add about 10 pounds to that. Yes, Iíve expanded a little bit.

    Thatís a nice story about your buddy but uh, other than him wearing your favorite belt, how does his story compare to mine???

    But who knows, I may have to resort to suspenders. Iíd rather not but I guess it is what it is.

    But for the other love of everything else thatís holy, WHY DO YOU HAVE SUCH A HARD ON FOR THIS BELT?

    Look, Iím not putting it down in no way whatsoever but, Iím a little appalled and annoyed about how you think this belt is the absolute bees freakiní knees and how you feel I wouldnít still be belt-searching had I just bought this thing months ago??

    For the love of God, put yourself in my shoes, for crissakes.

    And yeah, I for the most part agree with that Clint smith dude. I really do but, if causing pain and discomfort just because some person said it shouldnít be comfortable, I have to disagree when it becomes highly uncomfortable, sorry.

    But no, when I mentioned the magnet, my carry gun wouldnít be going to that. My carry gun stays on me. The magnet I was talking about would be for my other gun I carry with me.

    And even though I donít see how I could, I donít leave shit in that truck. My valuables stay with me when I lock it up for the evening.

    And I get your point about during the day when I have to leave it unattended for no more than / half hour but number one, thatís my problem, not yours and two, I can only do and strive to do what I need to do. I appreciate your concern but I donít know what more to say to appease your concern.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #152
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Wow! I kinda like those. So those eliminate the need for a separate pocket holster, meaning that the pocket itself is the holster?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Pretty much yes. However, they do offer a plastic cover type thing they call "triggerguardshield" for extra security, and they recently came out with a holster for these pants as well. What I have found is that with a TDA pistol decocked it is impossible to pull the trigger when the gun is in the pocket. With a Glock it is possible but really really difficult, like you would need to take your finger and push it into the triggerguard from outside of the pocket with like 30lbs of force. The gun-shaped pocket allows for a consistent draw angle and really good retention without a holster.

    Of course like any pocket carry system you need to be sure never to place anything else in the gun pocket. Another nice thing is you get those big ass pockets on both sides, and with the other pocket I can carry both my wallet and phone, and even keys without feeling too overstuffed.

    If they made the khakis in more colors and a little more stylish I would probably replace all my work pants with these. I work in an office setting where I have to have a tucked in button down so pocket carry is pretty much my only option at work.

  3. #153
    Fornicates with shovels Hambo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Behind the Photonic Curtain
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    And I get your point about during the day when I have to leave it unattended for no more than / half hour but number one, thatís my problem, not yours
    Will you sleep OK if a cop, a store clerk, or a kid gets shot with your stolen gun? Because that's what happens with stolen guns, jackass.
    If he hears his name, he will literally come over here and rip our faces off.

  4. #154
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Will you sleep OK if a cop, a store clerk, or a kid gets shot with your stolen gun? Because that's what happens with stolen guns, jackass.
    No, I will not but do you know everything about me and my situation? No, you do not so donít judge me.

    Over-dramatize much? Pipe down and enough with the name calling.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #155
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Though not directed to me, I'm 5'8" now with a 32" waist. Before becoming active in the Garmin thread, I was still only 5'8" but I had about a 38" waist. At 38" I didn't have any problem carrying AIWB, to include the occasional long car ride. That's definitely not the same as driving a truck for a living, but I never had any problems going 6-8 hours at a time. I've done a couple of 12-14 hour drives, and I don't remember AIWB being terribly uncomfortable. (Some of those hours were even in Oklahoma!) Some holsters do work better than others though, and what worked for me might not for you. I like JMCK, Dark Star Gear, and Dale Fricke Holsters. I also have one KSG holster and one Garret holster that have worked well for me. Carrying at 3:00-4:00 IWB is extremely uncomfortable to me.

    Yeah I dunno how well aiwb will work out with me or not. I know that after a while when I first starting carrying in just a plain ole IWB at 330 rh holster in either an alien gear tuck or crossbreed super tuck horsehide with a much smaller Ruger LC9S pistol that after awhile I quit carrying all together because of similar over-tightness issues. But, I never did carry that way with a good stiff belt either, like I now have so I donít know if that would have made a difference in comfort or not, from the pretty much plain ole leather dress belts I had that were really no different from a dress belt at Walmart that both alien gear and crossbreed was selling as leather gun belts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #156
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by TicTacticalTimmy View Post
    Pretty much yes. However, they do offer a plastic cover type thing they call "triggerguardshield" for extra security, and they recently came out with a holster for these pants as well. What I have found is that with a TDA pistol decocked it is impossible to pull the trigger when the gun is in the pocket. With a Glock it is possible but really really difficult, like you would need to take your finger and push it into the triggerguard from outside of the pocket with like 30lbs of force. The gun-shaped pocket allows for a consistent draw angle and really good retention without a holster.

    Of course like any pocket carry system you need to be sure never to place anything else in the gun pocket. Another nice thing is you get those big ass pockets on both sides, and with the other pocket I can carry both my wallet and phone, and even keys without feeling too overstuffed.

    If they made the khakis in more colors and a little more stylish I would probably replace all my work pants with these. I work in an office setting where I have to have a tucked in button down so pocket carry is pretty much my only option at work.
    Those Are pretty neat pants thatís for sure but since Iíve already bought nine pairs of varying m cargo pants for just much better plain pocket carry I really canít afford another new pair of pantsÖ LOL.

    I donít know, I might consider a pair for casual but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I can actually pull off strong side OWB carry for on the casual days when I go spend the day in town shopping and doing whatever with my dress pants that actually fit me better because Iím mostly up walking around and not sitting down all day.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #157
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Primarily, my stiffer belts, dig in right where the button fly is on my jeans. But, that could be because of the combined button snap, buckle and thicker material there, too, and maybe thatís why I get some relief from moving the buckle to either side of it... but either way regardless, it still pretty much renders my gut sore at the end of the day no matter what I do, and leaves quite the mark at the end of the week. Also on top of my front hip pockets I get sore, too.

    With the much more flexible Alien Gear and Executive Cross Breed belts, I didnít have the soreness from the stiffness above each front hip pocket, but the fatigue was quite a bit more around the buckle area, and on the side where the holster was because of how much tighter Iíd have to cinch the belt down just to hold everything up.

    But one thing that stayed the same- well, not quite as much as with the stiffer Volund belt and Kore belt- was that I really donít think I could go around throughout my day with not having to at least once pull my pants up. Itís like I never could get them tight enough, and I tried different positions of the belt, which wasnít much. lol.
    What you write to me sounds like a pant fitting problem rather than a belt problem. I'm not you so I can't tell, but whenever I found myself tightening my belt too tightly to walk around and loosening it when seated, it turned out that changing my pants (jeans more often than not) to something that fit me (not just at the waistband but around the hips and crotch) alleviated all that. I still, however, have to pull my pants up a bit whenever I get out of my car, but then again I have no ass.


    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Aside from having a barrel pointed at my junk, appendix carry isnít really exciting me.... but Iím curious about your results- how did that work out carrying a gun in that spot when you sat down? Even though it created a space there like you was sayin, didnít the barrel dig into your upper groin area?
    I, sadly, spend most of time seated in front of a computer and it's actually while seated (car or office) that the extra space actually helped in not having the belt dig into me. I know that driving and being seated at a desk aren't the same thing, but I will tell you that carrying AIWB (with the proper holster that is designed for AIWB and that works for you -that's extremely important) on 6 hours plus drives was never a problem for me.

    Now I have a different body type from yours, I'm 6'3 (6'4 when I was younger) and at my worst weighed 220 lbs and now 197 lbs, so what works for me can't be made into a general rule for everyone.

    Now about the holster: a proper AIWB holster (like the JMCK ones that was described by someone else above, and that I use myself) has a foam pad near the muzzle that does two things. 1) the gun won't point at your junk when standing (seated it may or it may not depending on position and body type) but rather will settle between your junk and thigh and 2) the pad helps with any rubbing and soreness in that area of the body. I never have had that area being sore or irritated even when seated for hours on end. It doesn't even bother me when I crouch to play with our cat (even when I was heavier).

    Still, it just plain may not work for you, but it is a mode of carry worth investigating.

    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    If I was standing more, and not so much sitting, Iíd probably be a little more interested in trying appendix carry but I just donít see how that would be an ideal mode of carry for someone who sits the better part of their day, unless it was some sort of cross draw holster like this....

    ....or probably something a little more preferable like this....
    I'm not a fan of crossdraw holsters, because at belly to belly distances (or close to them) your gun is basically offered to the bad guy in front of you. If you were forced to fight it out with someone inside the cab of your truck, it could be very easy for your assailant to get hold of your gun.

    However, I am a fan of having a gun on you and at the belt line, rather than off body and if crossdraw is what works best for you than that's what you gotta do. Mind you, you will then have to start thinking and developing tactics and techniques about how to protect the gun in a worse case scenario (i.e. fight inside your vehicle). Those will rather easily translate to confrontations outside. You will also have to think about how you draw the gun so that you neither muzzle yourself or others as you bring your weapon to bear. It's a lot to think about but then again carrying a gun always comes with a lot to think about. :-)

    The second pic you show is a purely driving holster that doesn't conceal at all when standing up. That means you will have to take it off the moment you get out of your truck and either transfer the gun somewhere else on your body or leave it inside the vehicle. Leaving it inside the vehicle comes with a bunch of caveats as you can imagine, and transferring the gun to another holster means that you end up doing a lot of gun manipulations which always increase the chances of an accidental discharge. So, for me, that last holster is a no go.


    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Trust me, your help is appreciated. But at least for now, at least I can get by with pocket carry. I know itís not the most preferred, but at least it works for when Iím outside the truck when thatís probably when Iíll ever need the pistol the most.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We all do what we can with what we have.

    I don't know whether this was brought up or not and my experience there is minimal, but what about fanny packs for guns?
    ďAn ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.Ē Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  8. #158
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    What you write to me sounds like a pant fitting problem rather than a belt problem. I'm not you so I can't tell, but whenever I found myself tightening my belt too tightly to walk around and loosening it when seated, it turned out that changing my pants (jeans more often than not) to something that fit me (not just at the waistband but around the hips and crotch) alleviated all that. I still, however, have to pull my pants up a bit whenever I get out of my car, but then again I have no ass.
    Iím in the same ďno ass boatĒ as well.

    But, you may be onto something with that. My body shape/physique kind of keeps me from having pants that fit me as properly as they probably should, all the way from my waist to foot because it seems like in order to get a big enough waistband, itís like everything south of there itís too big for me because if I get something that fits my legs good, fits my crotch good and everything else, itís like the waist is so tight that I wouldnít even be able to button them.

    As I was sayin, my dress wranglers fit me much better than my work clothes but, I sill have the issue with needing my belt tight.

    I, sadly, spend most of time seated in front of a computer and itís actually while seated (car or office) that the extra space actually helped in not having the belt dig into me. I know that driving and being seated at a desk arenít the same thing, but I will tell you that carrying AIWB (with the proper holster that is designed for AIWB and that works for you -that's extremely important) on 6 hours plus drives was never a problem for me.

    Now I have a different body type from yours, I'm 6'3 (6'4 when I was younger) and at my worst weighed 220 lbs and now 197 lbs, so what works for me can't be made into a general rule for everyone.

    Now about the holster: a proper AIWB holster (like the JMCK ones that was described by someone else above, and that I use myself) has a foam pad near the muzzle that does two things. 1) the gun won't point at your junk when standing (seated it may or it may not depending on position and body type) but rather will settle between your junk and thigh and 2) the pad helps with any rubbing and soreness in that area of the body. I never have had that area being sore or irritated even when seated for hours on end. It doesn't even bother me when I crouch to play with our cat (even when I was heavier).

    Still, it just plain may not work for you, but it is a mode of carry worth investigating.



    I'm not a fan of crossdraw holsters, because at belly to belly distances (or close to them) your gun is basically offered to the bad guy in front of you. If you were forced to fight it out with someone inside the cab of your truck, it could be very easy for your assailant to get hold of your gun.

    However, I am a fan of having a gun on you and at the belt line, rather than off body and if crossdraw is what works best for you than that's what you gotta do. Mind you, you will then have to start thinking and developing tactics and techniques about how to protect the gun in a worse case scenario (i.e. fight inside your vehicle). Those will rather easily translate to confrontations outside. You will also have to think about how you draw the gun so that you neither muzzle yourself or others as you bring your weapon to bear. It's a lot to think about but then again carrying a gun always comes with a lot to think about. :-)

    The second pic you show is a purely driving holster that doesn't conceal at all when standing up. That means you will have to take it off the moment you get out of your truck and either transfer the gun somewhere else on your body or leave it inside the vehicle. Leaving it inside the vehicle comes with a bunch of caveats as you can imagine, and transferring the gun to another holster means that you end up doing a lot of gun manipulations which always increase the chances of an accidental discharge. So, for me, that last holster is a no go.
    I guess I could look more into AIWB.



    I don't know whether this was brought up or not and my experience there is minimal, but what about fanny packs for guns?
    I think someone might have recommended that at one time. Someone here did mention another fanny pack-like bag, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #159
    Gray Hobbyist Wondering Beard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    The Coterie Club
    Quote Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
    Iím in the same ďno ass boatĒ as well.

    But, you may be onto something with that. My body shape/physique kind of keeps me from having pants that fit me as properly as they probably should, all the way from my waist to foot because it seems like in order to get a big enough waistband, itís like everything south of there itís too big for me because if I get something that fits my legs good, fits my crotch good and everything else, itís like the waist is so tight that I wouldnít even be able to button them.

    As I was sayin, my dress wranglers fit me much better than my work clothes but, I sill have the issue with needing my belt tight.



    I guess I could look more into AIWB.





    I think someone might have recommended that at one time. Someone here did mention another fanny pack-like bag, though.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you probably need to go to someone who can get your measurements exactly right and then buy pants accordingly. I think there are apps that enable you to order clothes to your exact measurements but I know very little about them beyond what I just wrote.

    Once you have as well fitting a pair of pants as you can, I believe that getting the right belt and holster will become much easier and clearer.
    ďAn ill-educated person behaves with arrogant impatience, whereas truly profound education breeds humility.Ē Alexander Solzhenitsyn
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

  10. #160
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Lander, WY USA

    Kore Gun Belt - Day 1

    I've worn the Kore gun belt https://www.koreessentials.com/produ...orced-belt-set for exactly one day. So far, so good. It's plenty stiff to properly support OWB carry of a SIG P365 and spare 12-round magazine. Set up was painless. The ratcheting buckle does not loosen over the course of the day, even when moving rigorously. Materials and construction seem to be good quality. Durability remains to be determined. From the Big Empty, ELN.

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •