Thread: Shoulder Mobility Issues and Form

Shoulder Mobility Issues and Form

I am putting this topic here instead of General Discussion because it relates directly to form.

I have had numerous skeletal and muscular injuries in the past decade (broken/dislocated rib; torn lats, pec, and labrum). Even after extensive PT and mobility training, my shoulders still roll forward at the delts, and raising an iron-sighted pistol to my eyeline requires raising my shoulders into the classic "tactical turtle" position. Glocks and revolvers are the worst offenders, CZs and 1911s are marginally more comfortable.

At long matches and during classes, this gets really fatiguing on my neck, traps, and delts, and it eventually causes two issues: inconsistent head placement behind the sights and a loss of focus on sight picture.

Has anyone had any luck with specific PT regimens/exercises to restore shoulder mobility specifically related to the front and lateral extension (freestyle and SHO/WHO positions)?

As a sidebar and sort of secondary subtopic, optics guns are much easier to present because I end up holding them about a half-inch lower at extension... has anyone transitioned to RDS only to overcome mobility issues?
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

After a shoulder injury I went through the PT with bands etc. Even after I was declared done with PT, I've continued to use the bands. It helps some. I wonder if some Yoga and stretching type exercises might help with mobility.

Here's what I use to manage some of my injuries. I don't hold any certifications or credentials in this area.

Shoulder Stability and ROM routine:
    100x arm-circles forward, palms down (12-18" circles)
    100x arm-circles rearwards, palms up (12-18" circles)
    50x overhead hand-turns, palms moving to face forwards
    50x overhead hand-turns, palms moving to face rearwards
    50x shrug-ups
    30x shrug-downs
    30x rolling shrugs to the front
    30x rolling shrugs to the rear
    20x ea side, shoulder tucks
    20x ea side, water-glass tosses
    20x chest-openers

Arm-Circles, forward: (100 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight outwards from the shoulders with both palms facing downwards; simultaneously move your hands through respective 12-18" circular movements moving forwards -> downwards ->rearwards -> upwards. Each iteration of the movement counts as one arm-circle; movement is preferably continous from beginning until the end of the final circle.

Arm-Circles, rearward: (100 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight outwards from the shoulders with both palms facing upwards; simultaneously move your hands through respective 12-18" circular movements moving rearwards -> downwards -> forwards ->upwards. Each iteration of the movement counts as one arm-circle; movement is preferably continous from beginning until the end of the final circle.

Overhead Hand-Turns, palms moving to face forwards: (50 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight upwards from the shoulders; with bladed hands, shoulders shrugged upwards, and with both palms turned to face each other: turn the palms to both face forwards while maintaining the upheld arms, and then return them to neutral (palms facing each other). Each turn and return of the hands is one count. Those desiring to work a fuller range of motion may continue to turn their palms past the forward direction, until their palms approach facing outwards.

Overhead Hand-Turns, palms moving to face rearwards: (50 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight upwards from the shoulders; with bladed hands, shoulders shrugged upwards, and with both palms turned to face each other: turn the palms to both face rearwards while maintaining the upheld arms, and then return them to neutral (palms facing each other). Each turn and return of the hands is one count. Those desiring to work a fuller range of motion may continue to turn their palms past the rear direction, until their palms approach facing slightly outwards.

Shrug-Ups: (50 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides; shrug the shoulders straight upwards without bending the neck or lowering the head, as if trying to touch shoulders to ears. Hold for one second and then relax the shoulders down to their neutral position; this is one count.

Shrug-Downs: (30 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides; shrug the shoulders straight downwards without bending the neck or lowering the head, as if trying to touch shoulders to hips. Hold for one second and then relax the shoulders back up to their neutral position; this is one count.

Rolling Shrugs, to the front: (30 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides or with a 90' bend at the elbow; shrug the shoulders straight upwards, then forwards, then downwards, then backwards, and then back up to the raised position, without bending the neck or lowering the head. Each circular motion ending in the raised position is one count.

Rolling Shrugs, to the rear: (30 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's side or with a 90' bend at the elbow; shrug the shoulders straight upwards, then rearwards, then downwards, then forwards, and then back up to the raised position, without bending the neck or lowering the head. Each circular motion ending in the raised position is one count.

Shoulder Tucks (or, "Invisible Arm-Bars"): (20 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms held out to the sides at ~45' angle; roll the left shoulder forward and downwards as if about to tuck and roll (parkour!) (or, as if being arm-barred from the rear by an imaginary opponent) while turning the left palm to the rear, before returning to the starting position, then roll the right shoulder forward and downwards as if about to tuck and roll, while turning the right palm to the rear, and then return to the starting position. Rolling and returning both shoulders is one count.

Water-Glass Tosses (or, "Weirdo Muay Thai Elbows"): (20 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms held in a high and compressed fence above the nipple-line and with 6-12" of space thumb-to-thumb with the elbows loosely tucked against the ribs; bring the left elbow to in front of center-sternum while the left hand travels above the left shoulder as if grasping an imaginary glass of water and tossing its contents over that shoulder, before returning to the starting position, then bring the right elbow to in front of center-sternum while the right hand travels above the right shoulder as if grasping an imaginary glass of water and tossing its contents over that shoulder, and then return to the starting position. Moving and returning both elbows is one count.

Chest-Openers: (20 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides: inhale deeply\fully as you look directly upwards and swing your arms outwards and to the rear while turning your palms to face to the front, hold for 1 second; then exhale dramatically while allowing your head to angle downwards until you are staring beneath your feet, rolling your shoulders forwards and touching the backs of your hands together in front of yourself, holding for 1 second; and then return to the starting position. Stretching outwards and then inwards both, is one count.
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Site Supporter
    Both my arms are locked in the down position because of spurs and severe arthritis. Raising anything requires movement of the pectoral girdle. I think you are already doing the same to some extent. My shoulder blades protrude and have formed what's caused winged scapulae. I compensate by using an exaggerated Weaver stance. I can see that a RDS might allow some advantage. Range of motion exercises will buy you some time. In addition to physical therapists, athletic trainers can offer good advice. This I know. Ice helps to manage pain. I suggest that you seek out orthopedist who treat pro athletes. One chiropractor helped me by relaxing the muscles in and around the pectoral girdle. We worked out a deal to treat only that. I paid cash. If you have to put up with their marketing bullshit plan, then it ain't worth it. My guy is long dead and was not greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Here's what I use to manage some of my injuries. I don't hold any certifications or credentials in this area.

Shoulder Stability and ROM routine:
    100x arm-circles forward, palms down (12-18" circles)
    100x arm-circles rearwards, palms up (12-18" circles)
    50x overhead hand-turns, palms moving to face forwards
    50x overhead hand-turns, palms moving to face rearwards
    50x shrug-ups
    30x shrug-downs
    30x rolling shrugs to the front
    30x rolling shrugs to the rear
    20x ea side, shoulder tucks
    20x ea side, water-glass tosses
    20x chest-openers

Arm-Circles, forward: (100 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight outwards from the shoulders with both palms facing downwards; simultaneously move your hands through respective 12-18" circular movements moving forwards -> downwards ->rearwards -> upwards. Each iteration of the movement counts as one arm-circle; movement is preferably continous from beginning until the end of the final circle.

Arm-Circles, rearward: (100 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight outwards from the shoulders with both palms facing upwards; simultaneously move your hands through respective 12-18" circular movements moving rearwards -> downwards -> forwards ->upwards. Each iteration of the movement counts as one arm-circle; movement is preferably continous from beginning until the end of the final circle.

Overhead Hand-Turns, palms moving to face forwards: (50 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight upwards from the shoulders; with bladed hands, shoulders shrugged upwards, and with both palms turned to face each other: turn the palms to both face forwards while maintaining the upheld arms, and then return them to neutral (palms facing each other). Each turn and return of the hands is one count. Those desiring to work a fuller range of motion may continue to turn their palms past the forward direction, until their palms approach facing outwards.

Overhead Hand-Turns, palms moving to face rearwards: (50 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms extending straight upwards from the shoulders; with bladed hands, shoulders shrugged upwards, and with both palms turned to face each other: turn the palms to both face rearwards while maintaining the upheld arms, and then return them to neutral (palms facing each other). Each turn and return of the hands is one count. Those desiring to work a fuller range of motion may continue to turn their palms past the rear direction, until their palms approach facing slightly outwards.

Shrug-Ups: (50 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides; shrug the shoulders straight upwards without bending the neck or lowering the head, as if trying to touch shoulders to ears. Hold for one second and then relax the shoulders down to their neutral position; this is one count.

Shrug-Downs: (30 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides; shrug the shoulders straight downwards without bending the neck or lowering the head, as if trying to touch shoulders to hips. Hold for one second and then relax the shoulders back up to their neutral position; this is one count.

Rolling Shrugs, to the front: (30 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides or with a 90' bend at the elbow; shrug the shoulders straight upwards, then forwards, then downwards, then backwards, and then back up to the raised position, without bending the neck or lowering the head. Each circular motion ending in the raised position is one count.

Rolling Shrugs, to the rear: (30 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's side or with a 90' bend at the elbow; shrug the shoulders straight upwards, then rearwards, then downwards, then forwards, and then back up to the raised position, without bending the neck or lowering the head. Each circular motion ending in the raised position is one count.

Shoulder Tucks (or, "Invisible Arm-Bars"): (20 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms held out to the sides at ~45' angle; roll the left shoulder forward and downwards as if about to tuck and roll (parkour!) (or, as if being arm-barred from the rear by an imaginary opponent) while turning the left palm to the rear, before returning to the starting position, then roll the right shoulder forward and downwards as if about to tuck and roll, while turning the right palm to the rear, and then return to the starting position. Rolling and returning both shoulders is one count.

Water-Glass Tosses (or, "Weirdo Muay Thai Elbows"): (20 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms held in a high and compressed fence above the nipple-line and with 6-12" of space thumb-to-thumb with the elbows loosely tucked against the ribs; bring the left elbow to in front of center-sternum while the left hand travels above the left shoulder as if grasping an imaginary glass of water and tossing its contents over that shoulder, before returning to the starting position, then bring the right elbow to in front of center-sternum while the right hand travels above the right shoulder as if grasping an imaginary glass of water and tossing its contents over that shoulder, and then return to the starting position. Moving and returning both elbows is one count.

Chest-Openers: (20 repetitions)
    Standing upright with one's feet a shoulder's width apart and both arms hanging loosely at one's sides: inhale deeply\fully as you look directly upwards and swing your arms outwards and to the rear while turning your palms to face to the front, hold for 1 second; then exhale dramatically while allowing your head to angle downwards until you are staring beneath your feet, rolling your shoulders forwards and touching the backs of your hands together in front of yourself, holding for 1 second; and then return to the starting position. Stretching outwards and then inwards both, is one count.
    Thank you for sharing your routine in detail. That must have taken quite some time to type out. I appreciate it.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List