Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spikes vs Aero or ?

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    Made fun of online by people you’ll never see, maybe. But you think some rando at a class is going to come up to OP and say “HA ha. Your roll mark is stupid.” How juvenile would that be? I can’t see it ever happening, but if it did it would just point out who I don’t want to have dinner with.
    Probably true, but we all know what people say on the internet is the only thing that matters.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Mega forged can still be had from jsesurplus.com. They private label it with a logo that looks like a cartoon female sexy cat, because apparently they are into cat rescue. If you can deal with that, IMO the quality is worth the price difference vs. Aero. I've inspected them side by side (prior to Mega's sale), and the machining is just nicer on the Megas. As well as some Aeros I've seen with defective anodizing that were not being sold as blems.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Mega forged can still be had from jsesurplus.com. They private label it with a logo that looks like a cartoon female sexy cat, because apparently they are into cat rescue. If you can deal with that, IMO the quality is worth the price difference vs. Aero. I've inspected them side by side (prior to Mega's sale), and the machining is just nicer on the Megas. As well as some Aeros I've seen with defective anodizing that were not being sold as blems.
    Capitol Armory also sells Mega-made lowers; I think the rollmark is much nicer, if a little too close for comfort to a well-known airsoft company's logo. Also significantly cheaper than JSE's lowers.

Regarding Spike's, I purchased one in 2010 as part of a group buy and the lower clearly had chips on the exterior that were present before anodizing. Upon contacting Spike's, I was offered a discount on their web store but that was it. Probably wouldn't buy their stuff again, especially after I got a completed upper from Aim that was also manufactured by Spike's and it too had small chips that had been anodized over. I don't know if they improved their QA since then, but for to happen on two separate occasions was enough to sour me on their receivers even before they started appealing to the threeper crowd.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Probably true, but we all know what people say on the internet is the only thing that matters.
    People say a lot of things on the internet. And given that there’s an (understandable) lack of openness on who makes what parts, and what “make” even entails, it’s hard to sort it out.

Anyway, they did have Aeros. I got an M4E1 in FDE. And a Spikes Viking because I thought it looked cool. And that is the most important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Capitol Armory also sells Mega-made lowers; I think the rollmark is much nicer, if a little too close for comfort to a well-known airsoft company's logo. Also significantly cheaper than JSE's lowers.
    Those are good guys. Have done business with them, would again.
    Not another dime.

I thought Mega was bought out/superseded by Zev, and therefore unavailable any more?

Mega is still turning out parts, they are just owned by Zev. It appears that a lot of the ultra-niche product development (Megalithic uppers, etc.) has been canned and is no longer available.

The companies mentioned above sell private-label versions of the "Gator" (Mega's name for what was usually just called "Mega forged") forged receivers. Which suggests they would probably be happy to do so for any FFL that can meet the credit requirements, place a minimum order and pay any setup/programming charges for the logo. Or something like that.

I haven't bought any Mega parts since the acquisition, but nothing I've read suggests they are cutting corners compared to their previous procedures.

PF-logo receivers, anyone?
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 10-24-2019 at 06:34 PM.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    PF-logo receivers, anyone?
    @LittleLebowski

Whaddya think? I've got some free time right now, if you give me the go ahead I'd be happy to look into pricing and quantities and such.

I want to say orange, but non-standard anodizing is a recipe for QC problems. Also additional cost. Pretty much any anodizing shop probably has a black tank going continually.

And I'd guess Mega-Zev wouldn't want to do direct sales. They likely want to set up and run parts and make one shipment to one distributor.
    Not another dime.

User Tag List