Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well, Foo

Site Supporter
    Brownell's would be supplying those still doing nickel plating. S&W could recommend. I bought guns from Jon Jovino in NYC in the distant past. I think they are also a police supply house. Certainly they could suggest a good service.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I think you mean 0000 rather than #4...
    Correct. Four zeros isn't the same as #4.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Nickel finish is the absolute worst. Heavy discount.
    I agree. I passed on a nickeled Model 15 that has a bad spot about the size of a dime on the cylinder. That would be easier to remedy; just send out the stripped cylinder. But I don't have a need for another safe queen, even if it has its box.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I actually like nickel as it was the first corrosion-resistant finish and the finish has a high lubricity (although not as high as NP3). The issue with the old electroplated nickel finish is that a layer of copper is plated onto the carbon steel substrate and then the nickel is plated onto the copper. The reason for the copper layer is that nickel does not nicely electroplate to the carbon steel alloys used for handguns. If you clean an electroplated nickel finish with a bore cleaner like Hoppe's #9 that dissolves copper, the solvent can penetrate the nickel layer and attack the copper. That ruins the finish more than just abrasion from use. Cleaning with Break Free CLP or equivalent eliminates the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I actually like nickel as it was the first corrosion-resistant finish and the finish has a high lubricity (although not as high as NP3). The issue with the old electroplated nickel finish is that a layer of copper is plated onto the carbon steel substrate and then the nickel is plated onto the copper. The reason for the copper layer is that nickel does not nicely electroplate to the carbon steel alloys used for handguns. If you clean an electroplated nickel finish with a bore cleaner like Hoppe's #9 that dissolves copper, the solvent can penetrate the nickel layer and attack the copper. That ruins the finish more than just abrasion from use. Cleaning with Break Free CLP or equivalent eliminates the issue.
    Thanks for the education. I never knew that.

User Tag List