Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LAPD weapon discussion

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    I just tried the quoted link & it’s still working for me, so I’m UNC what the issue is.
    Same here.

Site Supporter
    Guess it's on my end then. Thank you for letting me know.

The new recruits are being issued M&P. Most of the guys with 5+ years on still carry primarily glock. In order to carry 1911, you have to qualify as an expert with your non 1911 gun and go to 1911 school. Many guys who are qualified to do so choose to carry 1911 as kind of a status symbol.

Holster wise, most use safariland 6360, although there are many who carry in leather thumb break holsters as well, probably for comfort reasons. Uniformed patrol is not authorized any sort of drop leg rig with a thigh strap.

A lot of the old school guys and sergeants still carry Smith autoloaders and berettas in thumb break leather holsters mounted on the front of their thigh .

There is a pretty big variety of what is being used on duty.
    Last edited by sickeness; 10-26-2019 at 11:30 PM.

To those agencies allowing 1911 / 1911-ish, is there any regs on trigger pull weight and is that checked periodically?

Site Supporter
    A large nearby agency, when they allowed privately owned weapons set the standard, and only tested the blasters post shoot...plenty of cops got caught up with the "qualification piece" being different from the duty piece. Their DOJ consent decree seems to have addressed that. In my agency there are very sparse standards, and a Head of Firearms that is taking trigger pull measurements "just for reference".

Most guys are leaving the 1911 for plastic framed double stacks as they get older, anyway. Less weight on the belt. One of my guys had a sub 4 pound pull on a 1911 that was tolerated. It did not help him and he shoots the same with a stock G17.

As TLG pointed out, how you measure trigger pull weight has an effect on the results received.

When I carried a 1911 I did my own trigger job to clean up the press...but keep the weight up to 5 pounds or so, with considerable takeup. The break was great though....

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by sickeness View Post
    The new recruits are being issued M&P. Most of the guys with 5+ years on still carry primarily glock. In order to carry 1911, you have to qualify as an expert with your non 1911 gun and go to 1911 school. Many guys who are qualified to do so choose to carry 1911 as kind of a status symbol.

Holster wise, most use safariland 6360, although there are many who carry in leather thumb break holsters as well, probably for comfort reasons. Uniformed patrol is not authorized any sort of drop leg rig with a thigh strap.

A lot of the old school guys and sergeants still carry Smith autoloaders and berettas in thumb break leather holsters mounted on the front of their thigh .

There is a pretty big variety of what is being used on duty.

I finally read some of the thread at SW forum. Interesting stuff.

What is the LAPD DA/Sa transition course like?

Beretta wise, are only 92fs models permitted, or are G models allowed?

Only the “F” series Berettas for LAPD. LASD has allowed the “G” (including the factory conversion kit installed by dept armorers) for about the past four years.

User Tag List