Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LAPD weapon discussion

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Whatever their current pistol is, is what is issued to new recruits (currently M&P 9mm). They don't ever attempt a department wide conversion. Yes, they have a pretty big roster of approved weapons. My understanding is if you're moving from a TDA gun to a striker, or vice-versa, it's a two day conversion course. 1911's require a 40 hr course.
    SOCALDEPUTY May know more but last I heard LAPD was not conducting transition training for new TDA guns/shooters. Existing TDA guns are grandfathered but will eventually be phased out via attrition.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    SOCALDEPUTY May know more but last I heard LAPD was not conducting transition training for new TDA guns/shooters. Existing TDA guns are grandfathered but will eventually be phased out via attrition.
    Does this mean new hires are Glock, M&P, 1911 only?

Wonder how many revolvers are left.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Again... not part of that agency so I may be wrong, but While I believe they did stop TDA classes, they brought them back and were running them. Of course, they may have stopped again. I don’t know.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDep View Post
    Again... not part of that agency so I may be wrong, but While I believe they did stop TDA classes, they brought them back and were running them. Of course, they may have stopped again. I don’t know.
    OK, last I heard they stopped running them but that was a few years ago when they were still issuing Glocks. I guess the Beretta and the 4506 are now retro cool among young cops. Could just be different Chiefs. Both the Glock 26 and Glock 43 were approved in my agency in large part because suits in headquarters like them when they are forced to carry a gun.

My agency is now all striker fired 9 mm unless you have a grandfathered weapon, including the few TDA SIGs out there. I Chyna kick myself for not grabbing a TDA when I could but I am the last one in my office with a J frame BUG.They’re going to have to pry it out of my fingers.

What about your agency? Did they grandfather in the guys with TVA guns? Or is it all striker fired and 1911 now?
    Last edited by HCM; 10-12-2019 at 09:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    It took some effort back in the day to pry the strenuously anti-Glock chief away from the policy of only SigSauer DA/SA or revolvers. That resulted in a tediously authored weapons manual mandated by the administrative services director. We started approving other weapons after the Ruger LCP became a thing with some instructors.

A couple firearms coordinators after me, the agency decided to authorize anything approved except single action. For the sake of not feeling like a complete idiot in case I had to forward our policy to anyone, I suggested that "38, 357, 380, 9mm, 40, and 45" aren't really things and that perhaps authorized calibers might be more carefully written. I decided not to mention that many striker-fired pistols like the one we issued were technically single action, but why bother? Incredible restraint since I considered purchased a USP or some such that could be carried DA or SA.

Site Supporter
    "pro-gun, competent practitioner culture within the organization"

I've been looking for an environment like that since I started. In 1981. Still looking . . . . I would be happy with the "competent practicioner" part

There's a thread that's been running on the smith-wesson forum, although it hasn't been updated in a few months, ( http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...#post140465203 ) that's got some interesting info on the LAPD duty weapon situation...

Retirement and BEFORE benefit

"pro-gun, competent practitioner culture within the organization"

I've been looking for an environment like that since I started. In 1981. Still looking . . . . I would be happy with the "competent practitioner" part
    Had a two-year head start on you. Give up. This thread reminds me of how glad I was to given up that (battled to a draw at best) years before retirement, adjusted my thinking to only worry about myself and realize departments (note: ALL) pressured by time and money resources are not gunfighter factories. And would not want to be if they could unless it could get them more "likes" on FB. Dancing policemen get likes and shares, competent practitioners not so much. Retiring was even better when I read these threads that talk about my FAVORITE, the departmental administrator angle.
    One true story: , Range Master eyeing another brand plastic in chief's holster: Chief, you gotta carry a Glock 9mm. We only carry can carry a Glock.....
    Chief: Whut...but...I don't like Glocks? I already have this gun and...
    RM: Well, it's...well, the rules and regs....(silently reflects on battle to get and keep ONLY Glocks since he has about 400 to take care of by himself)
    Chief: (relieved) Oh, well, we can change that (doesn't change jack and carries what he wants).
    For the record, I think he should be able to write the reg not a law to start with "Unless the Chief wants different for himself..." as he is...well, the CHIEF.

Directly to thread content, especially as a Texas 1911 guy, it is becoming really interesting to watch STI work to sort of stand things on their head in the 1911 duty carry idea. I was favorably impressed by the Staccato C, but it is a bit big for the mag capacity....but....lessee..."say, just how much are dem fat bottom plastic 1911s like you got there.......?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    There's a thread that's been running on the smith-wesson forum, although it hasn't been updated in a few months, ( http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...#post140465203 ) that's got some interesting info on the LAPD duty weapon situation...
    Link is not working for me. I would like to read it, can you try posting it again?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Link is not working for me. I would like to read it, can you try posting it again?
    I just tried the quoted link & it’s still working for me, so I’m UNC what the issue is.

User Tag List