Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: REVIEW - Magpul PMag 35 rd for CZ Scorpion Evo 3

REVIEW - Magpul PMag 35 rd for CZ Scorpion Evo 3

Bottom Line

-- I own 2 SBR'ed Scorpion Evo (former) pistols. Just received 16 x Scorpion PMags from Brownell's today.
    -- All 16 catastrophically fail to seat properly in Scorpion #1. All 16 can be seated, but with very dubious reliability, in Scorpion #2.
    -- Both weapons work flawlessly with 4 x OEM CZ 20 rd mags and 20 x OEM CZ 30 rd mags.

Obviously I'll be returning all of the PMags.

Details

Both Scorpion Evo Pistols were purchased new in 2017 and SBR'ed with all original CZ parts, with the following exceptions:
    1) CZ Custom Trigger Pack and Disconnector jobs - done by CZ Custom (both pretty mandatory for 922r compliance). This changes the trigger, sear, hammer, trigger spring, and disconnector.
    2) Magpul magazine release (it is a massive upgrade and I highly recommend)
    3) Magpul grip (ok upgrade, personal preference on this)

Both Scorpions have been tested with 4 x 20rd CZ factory mags and 20 x 30rd CZ factory mags. All are OEM, and the version where CZ makes the floorplates and the followers in the U.S. for 922r compliance.
    -- The mags were manufactured in 2016 / 2017, AFTER CZ increased the thickness of the feed lips to (apparently) solve the cracking problem of 2015 and earlier mags
    -- Training ammo is Speer Lawman 124gr, and home defense (if I ever decided to change from an AR to the Scorpion - which I doubt) is Speer GDHP 147 gr
    -- Zero malfunctions in ~1600 total rounds fired (~800 through each Scorpion) with the factory mags.

Magpul PMag Problems

All of this was done using only EMPTY mags. I did not perform any tests using a loaded mag. I also haven't taken them to the range, nor will I, because...

Scorpion #1

-- The magazines (all 16 of them) will NOT seat on a closed bolt when empty. I can put the magazine floorplate on the floor, and put all of my body weight on the gun pushing down on the mag, and it's impossible.
    -- The magazines WILL stay in place in the magwell if you try (and fail) to insert them on a closed bolt and then you just let go of them, even though they're not fully seated / locked. They will continue to stay in place and even if you then pull and lock the bolt back. So I didn't realize anything was wrong at first. Obviously the mag would probably fall out after a round or 2 if you were shooting.
    -- If the bolt is locked back first, the magazine can easily be fully inserted and will lock in place with the bolt open.
    -- If the bolt is released, and the charging handle is manually eased forward, the bolt will get caught and stop when it reaches the top of the mag. It can then be pushed forward and fully closed with moderate force on the charging handle after that, but you can feel a decent amount of friction as it scrapes across the top of the mag.
    -- If the bolt is released, via depressing the bolt catch, then the bolt will close fully on its own due to its momentum before it reaches the mag (there is maybe 1/4" of travel before), but you can feel the bolt drag across the top of the mag, like it wants to fail, but barely succeeds in getting across the mag and closing.

Scorpion #2
    -- The magazines (all 16 of them) WILL seat on a closed bolt when empty. And while you can do this with one hand, it takes more force than any other gun I've ever used (and I'm pretty used to fully loaded 30rd AR-15 PMags being a bit difficult to seat on a closed bolt).
    -- If the bolt is released, and the charging handle is manually eased forward, the bolt will fully close and NOT stop when it reaches the mag, though you can feel it drag across the top of the mag. If you just hit the bolt release, then the bolt also will fully close - again the drag across the mag is noticeable.

I didn't load the mags, because there is no point if they're malfunctioning empty.

I'm disappointed with Magpul - this really strikes me as they didn't try very hard in their development process. I was pretty stoked about using these mags when I ordered them 6 months ago. 2 of 2 Scorpions having the same problem to different degrees - with one being catastrophic - is definitely not a fluke, with 24 factory mags that all work perfectly. I have made no modifications that affect the height / distance of the lower receiver / magwell relative to the upper receiver. Magpul's mags are obviously taller than OEM mags above the mag catch indentation.

Other than the mag release and the handle being installed by me (it's really simple install those), all 922r compliant internal parts were installed by the professionals at CZ Custom (who partner directly with the engineers at CZ in their products). And I can't imagine how those internals would have anything to do with this anyway.

I ordered 4 and they will all seat on a closed bolt easily when empty. Haven’t tried with ammo yet.

I’m also using the Magpul magazine release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In case there was any doubt, Duane Liptak followed up with this on M4C, and, shock, apparently not much of what our aspiring investigative journalist claims here, were factual.

Shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    In case there was any doubt, Duane Liptak followed up with this on M4C, and, shock, apparently not much of what our aspiring investigative journalist claims here, were factual.

Shrug.
    To be fair I don’t trust everything Liptak says. He was one of the Lake Arthur “cops” after all, which to me indicates a lack of integrity. But as big as Magpul is I can’t imagine them developing the mags the way the OP says he was told on the phone.

OP has a join date of this month. Wonder if he joined just to post this? It appears to be his only post.

Fuck it, let’s get some popcorn

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...26#post2778826
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    To be fair I don’t trust everything Liptak says. He was one of the Lake Arthur “cops” after all, which to me indicates a lack of integrity. But as big as Magpul is I can’t imagine them developing the mags the way the OP says he was told on the phone.

OP has a join date of this month. Wonder if he joined just to post this? It appears to be his only post.
    Some other individuals highly regarded by the forum were Lake Arthur cops, as well. Some folks just didn’t get mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Some other individuals highly regarded by the forum were Lake Arthur cops, as well. Some folks just didn’t get mentioned.

Oh I’m aware. You won’t see me at a Pressburg or Redback One class for the same reason.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Oh I’m aware. You won’t see me at a Pressburg or Redback One class for the same reason.
    There’s a few more than that, I’m told.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    There’s a few more than that, I’m told.

It’s been a while since I saw the list. The real shame is nobody got indicted for it.

User Tag List