Thread: RFI Propane furnaces

RFI Propane furnaces

I need a propane furnace that does not use any electricity. Does anyone have anyone have any experience? Otherwise, it will be a cold hunting season.

Not interested in propane space heaters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote41 View Post
    I need a propane furnace that does not use any electricity. Does anyone have anyone have any experience? Otherwise, it will be a cold hunting season.

Not interested in propane space heaters.

Can it use a 12v car battery? If so, look into the various RV furnaces. I put a 40,000 BTU one into an insulated semi-trailer and it keep that giant space warm down to -20F. They make them in smaller units as well. They are noisy, though, as they use a fan to circulated the heat.

The next option, if it's a small space that has plenty of air exchange, is a simple wall mounted non-vented propane heater.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...-303388504-_-N There are quiet and work great if you have plenty of replacement air.

I looked into supplemental heat for our travel trailer, but never needed it.

That said, I was running down the path of a "blue flame" heater vice infrared. They are similar to the link AKDoug provided, but a different technology.

Dyna Glo Bue Flame model:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...PMDG/206556615

Blue Flame vs Infrared:
    https://blog.totalhomesupply.com/loo...rared-heating/
    Last edited by rayrevolver; 11-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.

We have one of the wall mounted vent less propane heaters in our log home for backup heat. I think the brand is Mini Hearth. We had it installed when we built the cabin about 20 years ago. It has the igniter like a grill. In the few times we used it, it seemed to keep our large great room at a comfortable temperature.

Is a small generator and an electric heater out of the question? Much much lower chance of it killing you in your sleep (or just burning all your stuff) and you’ll have electricity. I get that a HF predator is still 3x the cost of a furnace, but it’s not a one trick pony either.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Thanks for the tips. I will pass them on. I’ll be sure to have a battery operated carbon monoxide detector installed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    We have one of the wall mounted vent less propane heaters in our log home for backup heat. I think the brand is Mini Hearth. We had it installed when we built the cabin about 20 years ago. It has the igniter like a grill. In the few times we used it, it seemed to keep our large great room at a comfortable temperature.
    I have a similar heater for backup heat. It has run for days at a time ( extended run of subzero days) and never set off the CO detectors. When I think 'hunting cabin' I don't picture airtight, modern ultra-energy-efficient construction. You should get enough air exchange just from air 'leaking' .
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

User Tag List