Thread: Colt MK III Trooper refinishing recommendations

Colt MK III Trooper refinishing recommendations

This is one of several firearms I inherited from uncle who passed back in June. He wasn't much of a shooter and wasn't very good about properly storing and cleaning anything hence the condition of the finish on this one. I'm not really a fan of shiny finishes on guns and I'm not too hung up on trying to maintain any value the gun might possibly have. I'm new to the whole revolver thing but I do find some of the pristine blued examples you guys and gals post to be quite striking. I guess what I'm trying to get at is what direction would you go if this was yours? This will never be much more than a range/BBQ gun. There is some irrational pride of ownership happening here. Dry firing this thing every time I pull the trigger on single-action, I laugh out loud it's just so ridiculous.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Pictures would be helpful.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Here are some pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Pictures would be helpful.
    My apologies. I do not find it quite as easy to post pictures here as some other forums.

If it were mine ....... brushed hard chrome.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 10-20-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Stainless or nickel plate? If plated, clean gently but thoroughly and see what it looks like.

DON'T DRY FIRE. A broken firing pin in a Mk III is a risk and it is a major outage, factory repair only... if they still will.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

I believe it is nickel plated but I'm not 100% on that.

Do you have access to a shop with an ultrasonic cleaning bath? That would be my first step, so you know what you have to work with. If it looks like crap afterwards, I would go mirror polish chrome.

As a MK.III owner, I do suggest you use snap caps for dry firing. Getting a new firing pin means finding a "parts gun" or having someone machine one.

Nice pull, though, right? Heavy in DA, but smooth. "Glass rod" SA.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Stainless or nickel plate? If plated, clean gently but thoroughly and see what it looks like.

DON'T DRY FIRE. A broken firing pin in a Mk III is a risk and it is a major outage, factory repair only... if they still will.
    Last time I checked, Colt will not service any of the MK III revolvers as the part stocks to do so were sold. My Trooper MK III revolvers, two blued .357 and one electroless nickel .22 LR, are honorably retired safe queens.

User Tag List